Haney126

2001 46mm kyb forks harsh in chop and hardish landings

Hi I’m looking for some insight on my suspension on my 2001 YZ250. it feels pretty harsh in the chop and harder landings if I don’t release the air pressure from the bleeders after every single moto but. I was just curious if that’s normal with these forks being a little older? They do feel pretty dang good but still a hair harsh after bleeding the air out but I’d like to get them working just a little better overall as well.

About 10 hours on rebuilt forks, shock I haven’t rebuilt but have the parts and service manual

Riding type motocross
Skill C
Weight 230
Oil level 100mm from top
.46 fork springs
5.8 shock
Fork reb 14
Fork Comp 10

Shock reb 12
Ls comp 10
Hs comp 1 1/2

Need to have them revalved by a reputable tuner.  I don't think I ever rode an open cart fork that came from the factory even remotely close to well set up.  They can work very well when they are done right but the stock valving isn't going to get the job done.

• Like 1

Yeah I probably should just bite the bullet and get a revalve, they already work better than the SFF single spring forks off my 12 Kx250f so hopefully they can be made great with a revalve. Do you know of any suspension gurus that are good with these old style forks? It sucks because they work great up until I decide to try to go real fast

I’m thinking I’ll send them to Enzo there is a local tuner that does a hell of a job and has been working with them for a few years now from what I hear. Anyone out there ever use substanks on these older forks? If so how did you like them

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, Haney126 said:

I’m thinking I’ll send them to Enzo there is a local tuner that does a hell of a job and has been working with them for a few years now from what I hear. Anyone out there ever use substanks on these older forks? If so how did you like them

I was going to suggest sub tanks, as your complaint is exactly what they are supposed to remedy. I don't have any first hand experience with them, but have been researching for my 2000 YZ.

I was also going to suggest Enzo, as they are the KYB OG's and this vintage with the sub tanks I'm sure they have a slick set up for. I also have no experience with Enzo, I went the Race Tech route with my stuff.

• Like 1

You didn't state this, so I'm assuming you're not bottoming on jumps....I'd take some oil out of the forks and evaluate.  you can also drop the compression a click or two as an experiment.

Where are you at in the race sag settings?

I'm a lot lighter than you but stock compression settings feel harsh to me as well, in my case, 1-2 clicks softer on the front compression feels much better without wallowing. 

BTW, where are you located @Haney126 ?

Edited by ss-racing

No fancy tanks required. Just remove one face shim in the mid comp stack and drill the stock base piston ports 0.5mm larger. That’ll soften the very high speed damping and reduce harsh feedback over chatter bumps. For your stiffer springs you could try an extra shim in the rebound stack second stage for slower high speed rebound. But not needed if 14 out is your best rebound clicker setting.

• Like 1

You didn't state this, so I'm assuming you're not bottoming on jumps....I'd take some oil out of the forks and evaluate.  you can also drop the compression a click or two as an experiment.
Where are you at in the race sag settings?
I'm a lot lighter than you but stock compression settings feel harsh to me as well, in my case, 1-2 clicks softer on the front compression feels much better without wallowing. 
BTW, where are you located [mention=514316]Haney126[/mention] ?

On the steeper jumps I feel like my shock could be bottoming because I can get kicked just a little to one side or the other but the side effects are mainly in the bumps it’s like the forks blow right through the first half of the stroke then get super harsh I’m definetly going to try messing with clickers tomorrow a little

Race sag is at 102mm
Located in Eastern Wa I mainly ride loamy sand

I was going to suggest sub tanks, as your complaint is exactly what they are supposed to remedy. I don't have any first hand experience with them, but have been researching for my 2000 YZ.
I was also going to suggest Enzo, as they are the KYB OG's and this vintage with the sub tanks I'm sure they have a slick set up for. I also have no experience with Enzo, I went the Race Tech route with my stuff.

Yeah that’s kind of where I’m at either ENZO or race tech gold valves because I hear the gold valves are a pretty damn good upgrade espescially for these forks

Yeah that’s kind of where I’m at either ENZO or race tech gold valves because I hear the gold valves are a pretty damn good upgrade espescially for these forks