Ruptured ACL second time...

Hi Dr Mark

i first tore my acl right leg 8/9 years ago I had a hamstring graft and a good solid repair, no issues until earlier this year whilst practicing dabbed it down and popped it again. 

My physio didn’t think it had torn so I went through 6 weeks of rehab and then rode again but first time back on the bike I went over on it again. This time I knew it was gone but it wasn’t conclusive.

Had an mri scan that confirmed it and also shown some cartilage damage. Yesterday I had an arthroscopy procedure on it to tidy up the cartilage and have a better look at the acl. My notes say I’ve had a partial lateral menisectomy and debris removed.

He confirmed that the acl was ruptured which I was expecting. 

My question is around what to do next? I am 41 and not ready to retire from racing and I love to play soccer and run, the surgeon didn’t have an answer for me as to what was the best course of action. I’d really rather not have to take another 12 months of riding as I have been out of action with a shoulder injury for pretty much the last 18 months. 

With the right rehab and muscle building and the best knee brace would I be able to have a strong enough knee to ride?

thanks for your time

chris

Hi Dr Mark
i first tore my acl right leg 8/9 years ago I had a hamstring graft and a good solid repair, no issues until earlier this year whilst practicing dabbed it down and popped it again. 
My physio didn’t think it had torn so I went through 6 weeks of rehab and then rode again but first time back on the bike I went over on it again. This time I knew it was gone but it wasn’t conclusive.
Had an mri scan that confirmed it and also shown some cartilage damage. Yesterday I had an arthroscopy procedure on it to tidy up the cartilage and have a better look at the acl. My notes say I’ve had a partial lateral menisectomy and debris removed.
He confirmed that the acl was ruptured which I was expecting. 
My question is around what to do next? I am 41 and not ready to retire from racing and I love to play soccer and run, the surgeon didn’t have an answer for me as to what was the best course of action. I’d really rather not have to take another 12 months of riding as I have been out of action with a shoulder injury for pretty much the last 18 months. 
With the right rehab and muscle building and the best knee brace would I be able to have a strong enough knee to ride?
thanks for your time
chris

Find someone to do a competent revision ACLR and not remove anymore meniscus. Perhaps you should visit me for a couple of days. At least you will be back on the bike post haste.

39 minutes ago, DrMark said:

Find someone to do a competent revision ACLR and not remove anymore meniscus. Perhaps you should visit me for a couple of days. At least you will be back on the bike post haste.

Thanks. I am in the United Kingdom otherwise I’d be very keen to spend some time with you. Do you have any recommendations for surgeons in the UK?

You might visit Mr. Adrian Wilson. His practice is called Hampshire Knee

• Like 1