Who here wears impact shorts, if so which ones do you use?

So on Monday night I had a get off, low sided while going pretty quick and landed in a rough gravel section. I needed up having a hip subulaxtion (partial dislocation) and a really bad bone contusion on my pelvic bone area. I ride in full boots, pants, helmet, goggles, but never have ridden with impact gear.  There's a lot of options out there so I'm curious to what anyone else experiences are and there preferences....

Edited by kxfreak

1 hour ago, filterx said:

Sorry my damn auto correct made it into safety shorts instead of IMPACT shorts. I've never had an experience as such, I've broken my femur and have a femoral rod in place of my left femur (which is the one I low sided on).  I have broken many bones, femur, both collar bones, both arms, one forearm, one tibia, and plenty of my foot bones but never my ankle or knees . I went down on my left side which I have a whole rod going through my femur but never had felt pain like this. .my adrenaline was pumping and I threw my left leg over the bike which I'm assuming popped it back in place. But the pain i felt after getting home was unreal, likebfracturing my hip socket.its gotten better over the past few days and the bruise it left was misleading....but thank God they stated i should have a short recovery time. Impact shorts are deffinitely in my future now i just want to find a quality set that fits comfortably. I know the picture doesn't look bad but I have all my left legs hardware centered there.  So forget "safety shorts" I'm looking for opinions on impact shorts/under ware. Sorry about that

20180905_134558.jpg

I have a few different brands. Nothing that expensive. I just try different ones. Sizing is different and fit with certain brands. Cheap Tusk arc?  kind are good enough to start. Do ypur riding pants not have good padding? Check.. but the added padding in the under pants does help. Make sure not too tight. 

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/835/44279/A.R.C.-Padded-Riding-Shorts

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I have 661, nike and the rocky mtn house brand. I prefer the cheap RM.

Ive slowed down some and thus quit wadding myself up so quit wearing them. Theyre plenty comfortable its the added heat retention i dislike.

• Like 1

I used to road race have used Bohn and Forcefield padded shorts/ armor under my leathers with very good protection and comfort. I still wear them under my dirt bike gear and my wife does as well. Lately, I've been using POC brand armor.  I like it as much, but they don't make shorts that I know of. I don't work for or specifically endorse any of them other than to recommend I've enjoyed them all in terms of quality and durability if properly cared for. They are not cheap by any means, though. I'm an ER doc, and I can confirm that from personal experience and from seeing many motorsports accidents more armor is better! Hope this helps. Ride safe!

Forcefield: http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/moto

POC:  https://www.pocsports.com/us/mountain-biking/mountain-biking-armor/ 

Bohn: https://www.bohnarmor.com/product-category/armored-motorcycle-riding-pants/

I wear EVS impact shorts, similar to these:

https://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear-and-accessories/protective-gear/technical-undergarments/evs-ultimate-impact-shorts/p/36031

I'm 59, have been riding since I was about 8.  I'm have a goal to still be riding when I'm 75.  I love riding tight, technical single track, trials and technical enduro stuff.  Knowing that I like the adrenaline rush from riding fast, trying technical stuff, etc (I don't do big jumps, or ride long wheelies), I gear up, head to toe (boots, knee braces, impact shorts, kidney belt, chest protector, elbow guards, helmet, gloves, goggles, etc.  When I was younger and didn't have this gear, I would get hurt to varying degrees on relatively small stuff.   I went down 2-3 times this past weekend in Michigan, twice with the bike landing on top of me.  No injuries other than one small bruise.  I'm hoping to keep it that way so I can achieve my goal.  

• Like 3

I've used the Fox Titan Race Short, but there is too much padding in the crotch so it bunches things up down there. I've also used the Leatt GPX 5.5. The hip pads are just some sort of thin rubber and the rest of the pads are some thin foam. Not much protection at all. I now only use Klim Tactical Shorts. Good amount of padding and well made. 

The MX stuff is sub-par if you want some decent protection.  It silly they make those 1/4"  pads and expect a person to be protected when you go down even at 15 or 20 mph... let alone faster. 

Here is a page of ones at Dicks Sporting Goods that have some great ones. They are football girdles, and they are also a compression short so I just wear that instead of over underware.  I went with the Adidas Tech fit, about the middle of the page.  They have almost a half inch of firm padding, and I have the Nike ones that are thinner but have a harder padding.  But both go above your hip bone to protect it well and have  really good tail bone and hip/side butt protection and front protection on your thigh.  .  YOu can go into any Dicks and they usually have about 3 types and compared to the MX ones they are just way better, and often way cheaper than the MX Brand ones... I was just really impressed with the more padding and the more above the hip bone which the MX ones usually lack and thats where you hit alot of the time if you go down.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/f/football-girdles#bazaarRating:&facet:&productBeginIndex:0&orderBy:5&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&facetCategoryId:&fPrevCatId:&

• Like 1

I wear the alpinstar bionic shorts with the hard padding.  The shorts are not as comfy as others but the hard plates in the shorts are deluxe.  I have an artificial hip and with these shorts I have slid down a few rockfalls while singletracking with no issues.  I even wear them skiing. Prior to the hip I wore the EVS padded shorts.  They have lasted forever and are now on mountain bike duty. Cam.

Edited by KXcam22