Need help picking the right dual sport motorcycle (PLEASE!)

As a owner of 2 DR200se, DR350se, DRZ 400s, and 2 DR 650se, I truly feel the DR 650 would fit the bill. My wife loved hers and wasn't too happy when I sold it. Very reliable and not too bad when riding two up. We ride almost always forest service type roads, some trails and pavement connecting the trails.

If you take the speed expectation out of it there are a lot more options. There are no bikes that are good at everything. If you buy the bike that you think you will fit you best for a good price, you can drive it for a while and get your money back out of it if you want to try something different. The WR is hard to find for a reason, owners hang on to them.

• Like 1

I was hoping to avoid reselling, but I have realized that it might have to be what happens.  I have noticed that people seem to be getting decent money for them, so it's a possibility to get our money back like you said.  Right now, I'm looking for either a WR or a DR350.  I'd consider a DR650 at the right price, but I'd rather avoid the pain of having to shove those few extra inches and pounds into our cargo area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll muddy the waters a bit more for you.

If major HWY speeds aren't too big of an issue you could look at the CRF250L. Little lower seat height than the WR and start about $1500 cheaper. Little less top end power but more low end grunt for the gravel roads. Vary reliable, qoute from Steph's website. 

Steph Jeavons is an author, journalist, and adventurer who just (April 2018) completed a solo around-the-world (RTW) trip that took her to all 7 continents. A world first. The journey lasted a few days short of four years, during which she logged 53 countries and more miles (over 74,000) on a 250cc Honda than anyone who’s come before.

https://stephjeavons.com/meet-steph

Maybe not the best 2up, but doable for 2 your sizes. I can cruise 55-60 all day running 250 pounds of ballast. Mine is stock except the 13-42 sprockets.

Can be found for under $5000 brand spanking new. 1 or 2 model year old, still on the showroom floor can be had for $4500 or less when you find one.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This answer might not be popular here, but I would look at the Versys-X 300 (if street and higher speed more important), BMW 310GS (also mostly street), and the Royal Enfield Himalayan (50/50-ish if a little heavy). These are better set up for 2-up than any Japanese DS. All three have more power and more streetability than any 250 DS. They are also affordable new, although if going used the best buy will definitely be a DR650 (which would also fit your needs).

Edited by ktmenvy
clarification
  • Like 2

This answer might not be popular here, but I would look at the Versys-X 300 (if street and higher speed more important), BMW 310GS (also mostly street), and the Royal Enfield Himalayan (50/50-ish if a little heavy). These are better set up for 2-up than any Japanese DS. All three have more power and more streetability than any 250 DS. They are also affordable new, although if going used the best buy will definitely be a DR650 (which would also fit your needs).
Verseys 300 is a great all around bike.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

IMG_5799.JPGIMG_3734.JPGIMG_5800.JPG

If you don’t mind a red-headed stepchild...

Bought it right when they came out, it’s been an excellent machine for the last 15,000mi

Not too little, not too big... 430ish ready to rumble. I’ve added a lot of creature comforts/back country exploration necessities and some things I just had to change (front fork is a YZ426 conversion) but have to admit, it’s pretty decent right out of the box. Mine had the lean stumble... but a couple of fancy spark plugs (pulstar) fixed it. One valve adjustment at 15k. Decent wind protection from the tiny windscreen even at 80. I don’t take epic long journeys- a “long” trip for me is ~1500mi. I’m usually around 400mi/day comfortably on this. Returns 55ish mpg no matter what I’m doing. Engine is a Chinese made Rotax copy that’s pretty bomb proof and smooth.

So..your pretty much looking for a camp bike. But CAN take a trip into town. Small, light, capable, simple, reliable, 2 up and cheap. The TW200 is all those things and street legal to boot plus a low low seat height. I think Yamaha made these bikes exclusively for those who live the Vegabond fancy..lol..

• Like 1

The Ural w/sidecar is a sweet rig. I can say from experience...being a sidecar passenger is a unique experience. An experience I prolly won't be repeating any time soon. I would like to take one on a road trip. I could stuff some serious creature comforts into the sidecar.

• Like 1

DR 650 seems like what you want, or a BMW 650 GS....  I rode a KLX 250 L on a trail ride once with my  10 yr old son on the back.   Sucked real bad.

Two up and off road on anything more the a nice dirt road sucks.  Find a couple of TW200, or XT200, or DR 200,  small light cheap, just wont want to take them on the highway.  

• Like 2