Gunnison Colorado trail riding.

A group of us from Kentucky are going to be going out to trail ride. We all have street legal bikes. Looking for suggestions on where to ride and grab some food too! Thanks

What bikes, skill levels, and rough location are you staying at? Time of year? Lots of things to ride there, but if for example you're on a KLR650 Star Trail will not be enjoyable. 

Also make sure you have USFS legal spark arrestors, and Colorado OHV visitor tags. Pack for inclement weather, you WILL hit it next week. Temps can swing dramatically in a very short period of time. Pre-hydrate if you are not used to altitude. 

• Like 1

Thanks! Really looking forward to it. Any good local places to eat and drink ? Probably be too tired to cook when we get back each day. Lol

Also make sure you have USFS legal spark arrestors, and Colorado OHV visitor tags. Pack for inclement weather, you WILL hit it next week. Temps can swing dramatically in a very short period of time. Pre-hydrate if you are not used to altitude. 

Garlic Mike's in Gunnison is supposed to be pretty good- Others may chime in on eating locations. We generally camp near Spring Creek. 

I decided to try adding trail names to the BrushCementSpring map that I posted previously, so I got the current version of the MVUM and added names.  Here is the result.  When you download the map (right-click and save), it will be 1190 x 900 at 144 ppi (8.26" x 6.25") and will print nicely on 8 1/2 x 11 and 11 x 17 paper.  I selected the paper size, then scale to fit in the printer setup.  Of course, you must have the proper size paper in the printer.

The map seemed a little busy at first, but I soon got used to it.  It's handy to have the names and numbers together.

BrushCementSpring144.jpg.0ce754be654288c8156050d6cb4c7e05.jpg

BTW BrushCementSpring is short for Brush Cr Rd, Cement Cr Rd, Spring Cr Rd.

:ride:

Edited by ramz

Pop into Highland Cycles in Montrose, CO, they are all dirt riders themselves, know the area well, and are a wealth of info for riding, preparing, lodging, eating, etc!

If you can swing it , then get a ride in at flattop area in Montrose. WOT over clay dunes that are hundreds of ft high.

'Cept Montrose isn't really that close to TP or CB. Almost 100 miles and 2-2.5 hours away.

• Like 1

'Cept Montrose isn't really that close to TP or CB. Almost 100 miles and 2-2.5 hours away.

Not that far for how dramatic the riding is, they are driving from KY (1500mi). Time wise isn’t that bad to take 550 N up to I-70

It’s 1hr 45m to Montrose from CB

If you're going to be staying in CB, the oldest tavern in town is the Wooden Nickel.  Good food and drink, but quite pricey.  My favorite is Donita's Cantina on Elk Ave.  The Last Steep has Ok food and a great vibe for drinks.  Brick oven Pizza and Pub is good, too. The Gas Cafe on the way to Mt. CB has great breakfast burritos.

If you're in Gunnison, I highly recommend Mario's Pizza, a local legend.  Their lunch special calzone is a favorite.  As mentioned above, Garlic Mike's (a little north of Gunnison on 135) is really good, too.  A bit pricey, but not overly so.  The High Alpine Brewing Co. on Main street has some real good craft beers they brew on site with some guest brews as well. The W cafe is THE spot for breakfast in Gunnison.  It's been there forever.  Hope this helps.

I graduated from Western State College in 1989 and make it back to Gunni/CB every couple of years for homecoming.

• Like 1

We were just out there a few weeks ago, staying in Parlin, from Minnesota.

Flat lander's especially, and 40+ fellers should pick up some Acclimate before the trip that a long way to drive to have altitude sickness, if anyone in your group is running tubes you will get flats, between just two of our guys we had eight and I ran out of patches. 

Carry lip balm, between the sun, dryness and altitude your lips take a beating, especially patching tube at 11,000 every day.     

8 hours ago, ktm300 said:

We were just out there a few weeks ago, staying in Parlin, from Minnesota.

Flat lander's especially, and 40+ fellers should pick up some Acclimate before the trip that a long way to drive to have altitude sickness, if anyone in your group is running tubes you will get flats, between just two of our guys we had eight and I ran out of patches. 

Carry lip balm, between the sun, dryness and altitude your lips take a beating, especially patching tube at 11,000 every day.     

Thats alot of flats!  Those guys must have been runnin low psi with those tubes...or standard tubes...or somethin.

When we ran tubes, we ran Heavy Duty at 12 psi and only got a flat now and then. Worked great for a long time. We packed a spare tube as our main fix method. These days, we run tubliss, lower psi for better performance and take plug kits...and still carry a tube as a backup, along with rim locks.

Lip balm is good, as is sunscreen. Water and an OHV permit are musts.

Maybe Acli-mate does more than help keep you hydrated....but I'd bet that is its main benefit. We use Gatorade after a ride and water in our hydration packs.  YMMV 

• Like 1