dirtbike_adventures

Can a ktm 690 Enduro R do single track?

I think the bike is more capable than most rider's skills. I wouldn't do hard enduro on it, but for light to even moderate trails, it does more than fine. And, if you have a suspension revalve, even better. The stock suspension is ok, but it has its weaknesses.

Looks like you had a great time! That's all that matters anway. After over a year on my 690 Enduro R, I still love it.

Utah, right?

• Like 2

The 690 is an amazing machine all around machine. As previously stated, I wouldn't recommend for that crazy hard enduro type of riding. That's like putting a Carnival cruise liner in your local small lakes LOL

330lbs. is 330lbs, not matter how you slice it. But, I do think that KTM did an amazing job with how the 690 Enduro R carries its weight. It feels slim and drops into turns fairly willingly. About the only time I notice the weight is if I knife it in a turn in the deep sand. It makes it quite clear that's no 125 2-stroke.

• Like 2

My buddies and I bought XR650L's in the 90's and took them on tight, gnarly, stupid stuff all over Colorado and Utah. Two of the guys raced A enduro and could just rip on those beasts. I finally got tired of picking the tank up and got into a WR400.
But yes they are heavy. But at less weight than that Honda and what? 25-30 more horsepower? Yes they can take on about anything if you are willing to muscle it around and occasionally pick it up.

Having said that, I just got mine and it's been a street princess until it's broken in.

• Like 1

My thursday group of guys (all riding 2-strokes, btw) only ride single track – deep sand single track. 3-4 hours worth of the stuff!!! I much prefer the wider, faster stuff but I LOVE riding so certainly no complaints on my end when I'm out with them. They are constantly amazed that I keep up with them but they're in their late-40s/early-50's and not exactly blazing fast, haha. Actually, this may be a good place to ask for some pointers from you fellow 690er's while I'm here. I've had the bike since '16 and am confident on the single track but still have a hard time really dialling the speed in – especially on the tight switchbacks which often have a tree tight on the inside corner. I've tried all methods – standing vs sitting, gentle vs more throttle. The tight cornering still seems to be my weakness. If I corner too slow, the bike wants to slide down the berm and bring me close to the inside tree and if I get a bit on the gas it doesn't seem to like the tight cornering and pushes wide. Coming from the crf250L, the 690 is quite difficult to turn on a dime – as we all know. Any advice??? I've also tried sitting up on the tank mx style but I find that just causes the front to burry too much in the sand. Might work for a 200lb 2-stroke but not so much on the 690. I went up one tooth in the rear but don't want to tinker the gearing any further as I have to ride 120km of highway to get to the trails. Let me know your techniques. Thanks guys. And yes, this bike ABSOLUTELY can handle single track – even deep sand single track!!!

My thursday group of guys (all riding 2-strokes, btw) only ride single track – deep sand single track. 3-4 hours worth of the stuff!!! I much prefer the wider, faster stuff but I LOVE riding so certainly no complaints on my end when I'm out with them. They are constantly amazed that I keep up with them but they're in their late-40s/early-50's and not exactly blazing fast, haha. Actually, this may be a good place to ask for some pointers from you fellow 690er's while I'm here. I've had the bike since '16 and am confident on the single track but still have a hard time really dialling the speed in – especially on the tight switchbacks which often have a tree tight on the inside corner. I've tried all methods – standing vs sitting, gentle vs more throttle. The tight cornering still seems to be my weakness. If I corner too slow, the bike wants to slide down the berm and bring me close to the inside tree and if I get a bit on the gas it doesn't seem to like the tight cornering and pushes wide. Coming from the crf250L, the 690 is quite difficult to turn on a dime – as we all know. Any advice??? I've also tried sitting up on the tank mx style but I find that just causes the front to burry too much in the sand. Might work for a 200lb 2-stroke but not so much on the 690. I went up one tooth in the rear but don't want to tinker the gearing any further as I have to ride 120km of highway to get to the trails. Let me know your techniques. Thanks guys. And yes, this bike ABSOLUTELY can handle single track – even deep sand single track!!!
Throw the bars at the inside corner tree. It's hard to explain, but don't "round" the tight turns, aggressively shove the bike down and throttle out.

Deep sand single track on a 690 ... nice! My advice is to add 2-3 clicks of compression especially on the front forks. Then like already said, go in a little hot, turn early, and roll the throttle on as you hit the apex. This'll help and it'll be loads of fun. Just be careful trying to keep up with the light purpose built bikes. 690s are capable but aren't as flickable or forgiving.

Answer is YES! Over the weekend my 690R superbly handled twisty mountain roads, 4 wheel drive dirt roads, two track and YES single track. All in one day! I think I'm in love 

How’s American fork canyon? I’ve yet to go up it or on the alpine loop. My go-to had been guardsman pass but since that’s closed now...

I used to ride solely street, and in 2014 bought a new 690 Enduro R, figuring it'd be a great bike to do dual duty SM and dirt trails in Hawaii. I did love the bike for what it was, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Took it to some trails on the North Shore and the bike was perfectly capable in faster, flowing trails and the suspension surprised me at how well it handled the terrain (It worked well on the main "family friendly" trail loop). It did not take long to realize though, as pretty much 99% of the trails here are very tight, muddy, drastic elevation changes, river/ rock crossings etc. that the bike was not designed to work well in those conditions. I was destroying the bike and it was a major struggle just surviving some moderate trails.
Why I really love that bike though is that I had so much fun bombing around on that bike on the trails that I decided I wanted to just enjoy trail riding. Ended up selling the 690 after a year of ownership and got myself a cheap, used, YZ-250 that was heavily modified for trail use. The amount of effort required and seeing my ability increase at a faster rate made it clear I made the right choice.

Just jumped into a new 2019 KTM 300 XCW, and 4 years later consider myself a dedicated trail rider that has become a major hobby for me. If I lived somewhere else with a lot of fire-roads or open trails and a need to have it be road legal as well, I wouldn't mind the 690 again. As you get serious in trail riding, it's hard to have a bike that makes a lot of compromises unless it's just for a fun cruise here and there.

Edited by TheTyLife

How’s American fork canyon? I’ve yet to go up it or on the alpine loop. My go-to had been guardsman pass but since that’s closed now...
AF Canyon is likely still passable. Maybe some snow at the top but most has melted off after the last storm. Going over the top past tibble fork and down to cascade spings is a big wide 4 wheel drive dirt road. Worst case is a u-turn. Best case is a cool ride up to 8500ish feet through the forest

I used to ride solely street, and in 2014 bought a new 690 Enduro R, figuring it'd be a great bike to do dual duty SM and dirt trails in Hawaii. I did love the bike for what it was, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Took it to some trails on the North Shore and the bike was perfectly capable in faster, flowing trails and the suspension surprised me at how well it handled the terrain (It worked well on the main "family friendly" trail loop). It did not take long to realize though, as pretty much 99% of the trails here are very tight, muddy, drastic elevation changes, river/ rock crossings etc. that the bike was not designed to work well in those conditions. I was destroying the bike and it was a major struggle just surviving some moderate trails.
Why I really love that bike though is that I had so much fun bombing around on that bike on the trails that I decided I wanted to just enjoy trail riding. Ended up selling the 690 after a year of ownership and got myself a cheap, used, YZ-250 that was heavily modified for trail use. The amount of effort required and seeing my ability increase at a faster rate made it clear I made the right choice.
Just jumped into a new 2019 KTM 300 XCW, and 4 years later consider myself a dedicated trail rider that has become a major hobby for me. If I lived somewhere else with a lot of fire-roads or open trails and a need to have it be road legal as well, I wouldn't mind the 690 again. As you get serious in trail riding, it's hard to have a bike that makes a lot of compromises unless it's just for a fun cruise here and there.
Totally agree with everyone's comments about riding tough trails on a light weight purpose built bike. And I love my current yz250x and previous yamaha 450f, ktm 350, 300, 200, 520, etc. These are all great bikes and super capable. 690's not the fastest or best everywhere, I just get the giggles pushing a big bike through the trees and rocks. Makes me smile
  • Like 2

AF Canyon is likely still passable. Maybe some snow at the top but most has melted off after the last storm. Going over the top past tibble fork and down to cascade spings is a big wide 4 wheel drive dirt road. Worst case is a u-turn. Best case is a cool ride up to 8500ish feet through the forest

I might have to head down to alpine and check it out! We shall see. I went to Brighton this past Saturday just for funsies and there was plenty of snow still lingering about up there...

Thanks for sharing that clip. I have been trying to decide if a 690 would handle some exploring off-road. Looks like it just might work for me. Still have my 2-stroke 250 and 450 4-stroke for the serious off road stuff.

Absolutely. Especially with Tubliss and Motoz enduro’s. Power makes the weight feel less. That said, I ride a 250 sx-f for the single track. The 690 climbs well but...it can wear you out fast. Also too nice to get beat up.

On 9/10/2018 at 8:59 PM, dLeo said:

With any bike, riding tight and steep swtichbacks requires that you "look" around the corner meaning to have your eyes see the terrain before your front tire gets there. You know it's a sharp gnarly turn and if you look "through" the turn, your bike simply follows. Biggest advantage I've found is that you don't have time to say "Oh Shit, what should I do now?" You should look and if there's a stair step root or rock (assuming you have traction) you hammer it and pop over it.

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 1