01 kx65 mid range power

Greetings folks,

I'm not new to 2 cycle bikes, however I am new to minis. I picked up a really great running little kx65 for my boy to bomb around on and to be my little pit bike. Perhaps this issue is common for the little bikes, but this thing has pretty much zero mid range power. Once it comes on the pipe and hits that power band, it's a little rocket.

Set up is stock to my knowledge with a fmf gold fatty pipe and PC r-304 silencer. Not sure why this combo was chosen by the previous owner, but I can't help but wonder if it's a jet setting issue or just common for this little bike to only have top end.

I'm running 93 oct pump gas and mixing it at 32:1 since I hear the bottom ends need more oil. Bike doesn't smoke much, fires up 1st or second kick every time and seems to run well other than this issue of not much midrange.

Little two strokes have not much else but top end. You can try finding a reed cage spacer or a flywheel weight, either one of both would tone it done some. I would suggest maybe adding a tooth or two to the rear sprocket to get him up into the power sooner.

I rebuilt an 03 this spring.

Started with stock jetting. Was a bit rich for our location. One clip on the needle widened our power band a fair bit for us.

Was gonna experiment with pilot and main, but it’s been running great all summer so stopped wrenching and let the boys burn fuel!

Check your jetting. Check your plug. Compare to stock.

Our bikes stock except we gave the 2 stage reeds a try.

On 9/9/2018 at 8:36 AM, stuntmanx8 said:

Greetings folks,

I'm not new to 2 cycle bikes, however I am new to minis. I picked up a really great running little kx65 for my boy to bomb around on and to be my little pit bike. Perhaps this issue is common for the little bikes, but this thing has pretty much zero mid range power. Once it comes on the pipe and hits that power band, it's a little rocket.

Set up is stock to my knowledge with a fmf gold fatty pipe and PC r-304 silencer. Not sure why this combo was chosen by the previous owner, but I can't help but wonder if it's a jet setting issue or just common for this little bike to only have top end.

I'm running 93 oct pump gas and mixing it at 32:1 since I hear the bottom ends need more oil. Bike doesn't smoke much, fires up 1st or second kick every time and seems to run well other than this issue of not much midrange.

might be worth moving the clip up and shimming under clip with a wash to make it 1/2 clip leaner , the 2 stroke on/off all or nothing can come from the lean to rich to clearing out transition from pilot to needle taper  etc.