1974 Honda CT70 Honing stone grit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

wdym?  I don't know what that means.

Different grits, or scratch depths produced by said grits vary based on the construction of the rings.  Usually the ring manufacturer will specify the grit as well as it will be outlined in the service manual under the section about engine rebuilding.  Example: Moly faced rings are typically finished with 400 grit while 280 grit is typically recommended for plain iron rings. Chrome rings can be 320 or 400.  Also the cross hatch pattern is critical.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:03 AM, thejunkman said:

wdym?  I don't know what that means.

Different grits, or scratch depths produced by said grits vary based on the construction of the rings.  Usually the ring manufacturer will specify the grit as well as it will be outlined in the service manual under the section about engine rebuilding.  Example: Moly faced rings are typically finished with 400 grit while 280 grit is typically recommended for plain iron rings. Chrome rings can be 320 or 400.  Also the cross hatch pattern is critical.

I dont have a manual and I dont know what kind of piston rings my CT70 has. This is the OEM part number 13010-087-023.

12 minutes ago, RedRockets_up_in_here_dude said:

I dont have a manual and I dont know what kind of piston rings my CT70 has. This is the OEM part number 13010-087-023.

If you don't have a manual, how did you know what piston ring size to get or if your cylinder is within spec?  Also how are you going to know what the ring gap should be?  I would advise to get a manual.

1 hour ago, thejunkman said:

If you don't have a manual, how did you know what piston ring size to get or if your cylinder is within spec?  Also how are you going to know what the ring gap should be?  I would advise to get a manual.

Yeahh I think you're i should get a manual..........................................................................................................................................................