Getting off at 80

Being 10 months shy of 80 I am noticing that my get offs are more painful then they were when I was only 70.  The really bad part is that it has become harder and harder to pick the bikes up after I dump them. This in spite of the fact that I have been buying the lightest off road bikes available for over 20 years now.  So I have been selling off and going electric.  My KTM and Yamaha both went for 1/3rd of what I had in them.  Kept my highly modified, street legal KX100 because it is well under 200 pounds, even with the two gallon tank but have decided to let it go as well and just keep my trials bike for rides that would be beyond the range of my electric bike.   I have bought a Sur-Ron electric Light Bee.  Not a lot of top end but it has incredible traction and at 110 pounds it is so flickable that I am getting through my really tight practice trails faster than I could on any bike I have owned in the past.  

• Like 14
  • Helpful 3

On 9/10/2018 at 9:51 PM, oldgrunt said:

Being 10 months shy of 80 I am noticing that my get offs are more painful then they were when I was only 70.  The really bad part is that it has become harder and harder to pick the bikes up after I dump them. This in spite of the fact that I have been buying the lightest off road bikes available for over 20 years now.  So I have been selling off and going electric.  My KTM and Yamaha both went for 1/3rd of what I had in them.  Kept my highly modified, street legal KX100 because it is well under 200 pounds, even with the two gallon tank but have decided to let it go as well and just keep my trials bike for rides that would be beyond the range of my electric bike.   I have bought a Sur-Ron electric Light Bee.  Not a lot of top end but it has incredible traction and at 110 pounds it is so flickable that I am getting through my really tight practice trails faster than I could on any bike I have owned in the past.  

Having ridden your "practice" trails, the sur ron or similar would be perfect !!

On 9/10/2018 at 9:51 PM, oldgrunt said:

Being 10 months shy of 80

Thank you for this post. I am 18 years your junior and I am thinking in terms of "the next 10 years"... God willing I will post the same type of thing when I reach your young age.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, highmarker said:

Having ridden your "practice" trails, the sur ron or similar would be perfect !!

I have started to groom those trails  for a restart of the Troop Support Rides I was doing a couple of years ago.  I m going to keep it simple and small this time so I don't get burned out pulling maintenance on 6 bikes and all the riding gear like I did last time.  I will be using Ubco two wheel drive electric utility bikes and the Sur Ron.

9 minutes ago, oldgrunt said:

I have started to groom those trails  for a restart of the Troop Support Rides I was doing a couple of years ago.  I m going to keep it simple and small this time so I don't get burned out pulling maintenance on 6 bikes and all the riding gear like I did last time.  I will be using Ubco two wheel drive electric utility bikes and the Sur Ron.

Where are you getting the Ubco bikes Dutch?

Joe

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, trailmeisterjoe said:

Where are you getting the Ubco bikes Dutch?

Joe

I got two of them in Oregon but there are dealers in Washington now.  Check out the Ubcobikes.com/US website for locations.  The last I heard there are dealers in Centralia, Seattle and Bellevue.  They are nothing like a motorcycle though. They are dual purpose mopeds that were designed for farm work needs in New Zealand.  I haul firewood out of the woods with mine.  It has a 75 mile range on the streets and 50 off road.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...