09 KX250F single track / woods setup

Just got this KX250f and heading to the woods tomorrow. It's setup pretty good by the looks of it, skid plate/bark busters/spark arrestor. When I rode blue and I lowered the gearing and put on a flywheel weight on the YZf . What's the general rule for these mods with the green machine?

Edited by pugetsoundsailer

I think pretty much any 250F will benefit from a heavier flywheel for off-roading.

Final gearing depends on your preference and type of terrain encountered (tight and technical or, open / fast paced)

No matter the final drive you're still stuck with a close-ratio gearbox, meaning a tall first gear and short 5th gear.

The most gains are to be had in setting up the suspension for the specific terrain (small choppy stuff versus big jumps on a groomed track)

Edited by mlatour

19 minutes ago, pugetsoundsailer said:

Anyone know where to get a heavier flywheel for the 09 250f ? 

Aren't made for this bike. Had a 16 model and similarly couldn't locate. Bought the 16 because an 07 model that I rode/borrowed was good. It had Race Tech gold valves which worked good for riding trails at Gifford Pinchot. The 07 also had a Rekluse. The 16 that I bought needed engine work so I sold it while fully disclosing same unlike the seller I purchased from.

35 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Aren't made for this bike. Had a 16 model and similarly couldn't locate. Bought the 16 because an 07 model that I rode/borrowed was good. It had Race Tech gold valves which worked good for riding trails at Gifford Pinchot. The 07 also had a Rekluse. The 16 that I bought needed engine work so I sold it while fully disclosing same unlike the seller I purchased from.

Bummer about the 16, you getting another kxf? How did you like that Rekluse? I picked up a used one one ebay due to arrive tomorrow

4 minutes ago, pugetsoundsailer said:

Bummer about the 16, you getting another kxf? How did you like that Rekluse? I picked up a used one one ebay due to arrive tomorrow

No, I picked up two Euro 300s and like them better (one with E start, one without). Rekluse would be good for the KXF but you lose bump start ability unless you constantly adjust lever freeplay. If the 09 pilot and fuel screw are set correctly then kicking over the bike should be a reliable thing.

1 minute ago, shrubitup said:

No, I picked up two Euro 300s and like them better (one with E start, one without). Rekluse would be good for the KXF but you lose bump start ability unless you constantly adjust lever freeplay. If the 09 pilot and fuel screw are set correctly then kicking over the bike should be a reliable thing.

cool enjoy those new bikes......... I see your in WA. I'm about 20 min. from Walker Valley

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pugetsoundsailer said:

cool enjoy those new bikes......... I see your in WA. I'm about 20 min. from Walker Valley

If you get into riding the tech trails found at the upper part of WV then a Rekluse will be great for you. Having it will relieve the need for the FWW.

I'm on the west side of the Sound so WV is maybe a once every other year location for me. Know of a group that rides there all the time tho if you want to tag along.

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

If you get into riding the tech trails found at the upper part of WV then a Rekluse will be great for you. Having it will relieve the need for the FWW.

I'm on the west side of the Sound so WV is maybe a once every other year location for me. Know of a group that rides there all the time tho if you want to tag along.

sounds like you ride bellfair, I used to ride that all the time. I'd love to hook up with some riders who know the trails at walker, It's been years since I seriously road up there

Edited by pugetsoundsailer

4 minutes ago, pugetsoundsailer said:

sounds like you ride bellfair, I used to ride that all the time. I'd love to hook up with some riders who know the trails at walker, It's been years since I seriously road up there

Post up a thread in NW or view some of the other ones there this winter. Everybody is focused still on Cascade riding until Thanksgiving or so. @NW_drZmay take you up there but his routes are on the advanced scale.