Sign in to follow this  

biggest diference between xr400 vs. dr350

Thanks for the help. I am considering buying a dirtbike that I convert to Dual-sport (it's pretty relaxed here in NC)...because everytime I buy a dual purpose....I can't

ride it at all with my buds...everything around here has

big roots or bigger rocks to navigate....Sooo....I thought

I would start with a dr350 or a xr400...and if I like that

in the woods, then I can work on the street legal stuff.

Thanks again, Mitch

<font color="navy">Mitch, help us out here. Are you looking for advice/opinions? Your subject line seemed like you're looking for feedback, but your post itself was simply a statement that you're looking... Also, since you mentioned the DR350, I take it you're looking to buy used as opposed to new? Both bikes are capable off-roaders that can be made street legal. I lean towards the XR400, but when buying used would probably still take a clean DR over a beat up XR. That said, if I had to pick between a DR and XR in relatively similar condition, I'd go with the XR -- no hesitation. One consideration in the DR's favor, however, is the option for electric start...

I had a DR350 before I got my XR400 and would take the XR over it anytime. I felt the xr is a way better bike and was a lot more capable in the muck then the DR.

I would choose XR and dual sport it.

or buy the street legal DRZ400

How interesting! My neighbors dad has a 93 DR350 and I have a 98 XR400.

DR cons, as compared to XR400:

Suspension. Soft. (pipe rubs during jumps, this is fixable I think)

Power. Its a 350 vs a 400, whaddaya expect? Very smooth and usable though

Ergos. Horrid

Looks. Horrid. Dont even get me started. The XR isnt that pretty either, but compared to the 350 its beautiful

Starting. Its SOOO hard to start the 350. You MUST use the compression release in order to get the kickstart over TDC or wherever it sticks. It takes forever to start because of this. Each kick takes time, whereas the 400 you can kick rapidly.

Misc: Stuff seems to fall off of the DR for some reason. Kickstarter bolt, swingarm pad is held on by a ziptie, etc.

The 350 is a decent trail bike, but I would personally never buy one unless I had no other choice.

Get the XR! :)

Ive rode a 92 or 93 dr350 before and the xr400 has lot more power. Also the dr I rode was the fully offroad version with no electric start. I had to use the decompression after I kicked it once to get to TDC too. It was still a nice bike. The one I rode had a pipe on it. Good thing about them is you can pick up a good one for around $1000 bucks. So since the xr is such a good offroad bike I would keep it fully offroad and buy the dr350 and use it for dual purpose. Buy both if you can. :D You can get both for around $3500. :) Oh yeah by the way I think the dr350 looks alright. The one I rode the frame was yellow and the plastic was white and the seat was yellow and blue fork covers.

I have owned both. The XR hands down. The Dr's suspension is not even in the same league.

XR ALL THE WAY...The DR has alot of flaws,the main is the suspension....The front end likes to "wash out" also.I've ridden DR's a bunch and had fun but not as much fun as on the XR.

Thanks for the input guys, I found a 1996 XR400 and a 1998 DR350 for about the same dollar amount....both bikes are in need of TLC, but neither one smoke or rattle. I haven't had any experiance with either (suspension, handeling, or reliability) so I thought I' check here before I made up my mind....going to get the 400 this weekend...so I'm sure I'll be back on here for advice and tips

Thanks again, Mitch :)

Which bike is the most reliable ? From what I see in the ads, lots of a rebuilt XR's with less than 12 K miles, I 've never seen one rebuilt DR S and many have 15 K + miles. Of course that may be comparing oranges and apples since XR's are usually used offroad only.

I have about 25,000 miles on one of my duel-sported, stock, XR4's and it still runs perfect.

As far as the reliablity, both are good. I would have to say the XR is built more heavy duty than the DR.

There is not one 100% correct answer. I thought to get KLR650. Once i tried a fully loaded one in the dirt , i scratched it off the list. Next thing in line was XR400.Before it i could lay my hands on DRZ400S. It is a great bike BUT not if you are 5'3" with 29" inseam. I lowered it and i love it, but i got addicted to off road riding and kept looking for the "perfect bike.. I got dirt "95 DR350 with a pipe and open air box. MONSTER. I like it a lot , but again-too tall. In the mean time i worked on a customer's XR400 with 440 kit, exhaust and open air box. I tried it and what can i say- heavy and tall. Now i prefer to ride a wimpy XT350 uncorked with air box mod and jetted properly. It is no match to any of the bikes mentioned before, but it fits me,fits my skill level and the kind of riding i do.

When you are trying to decide what bike is the best, ask yourself what bike does what you want it to do. And if couple of bikes do the same, start considering what will you ad on and how easy and costly will it be to keep the bike.

You're right Slavy, but I think you're a bit too late with your answer lol. Its a shame you are restricted a bit due to your height but i'm sure you would still outrun me on my xr400 just due to ability (only been off road once on mine at the moment and that was with sticky SM wheels + tyres)  :thumbsup: .

your name also says newbie, so welcome to TT :).

• Like 1

it will be WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY easier to find parts for the XR than the DR since there have probably been thousands of XR's sold for each DR that was sold.