400 help needed

Hi guys really need advice.. a friend foolishly purchased a non running 400 for $1000, was told by non mechanically minded owner that it just needed a injector.. well you have to buy a whole throttle body apparently $1700.. my question is could it be a different problem and if it is injector what are other options 

thanks 

16 hours ago, Shane1974 said:

Hi guys really need advice.. a friend foolishly purchased a non running 400 for $1000, was told by non mechanically minded owner that it just needed a injector.. well you have to buy a whole throttle body apparently $1700.. my question is could it be a different problem and if it is injector what are other options 

thanks 

Without a TON more information we can't really help you man. I'd like to. But you've gotta do some footwork. 

What makes you think injector? Have you tested the fuel circuit to confirm this? Have you tested the spark circuit? 

Can the injector be removed and cleaned either by applying fuel under back pressure or with an ultrasonic cleaner? 

There are a million questions I could ask but you'll have to help us a lot more before we can help you. It could literally be anything! Does the bike at least turn over? Does it run at all? 

In the US, we have something called starting fluid. It is ether in a can. A short spray and short spray only (2 seconds max) on the air filter and try to start the bike. With the starting fluid, if it is only the injector, the bike should start and run a few seconds. You can do the same thing by removing the sparkplug and adding a cc of gasoline into the cylinder. Again, bike should start and run if it's only an injector. While the plug is off, it's a perfect time to do a quick compression check. Also, have a rag available to cover and plug up the exhaust if it starts to over rev. In the US, there are companies that specialize in cleaning fuel injectors. Might have the same there.

Back in the day, a forum called gasgasrider.org was a wealth of knowledge regarding the gasgas cycles. Last time I was there, it wasn't active, but could still be read.

Cliff - former EC 250 owner

It's a 2003, only year they produced a 400 they also made a 450 in 03.

They were big heavy turds, One of my customers actually got his money back from GasGas USA and handed the check back to be and asked me to order him a 2005 450FSE they were that much better.

I let him ride my 05 while we were working on his 03.

I still have one that runs great.

The 03's and 04's were plagued with valve guides that wore out quickly head gasket leaks and poor ECM tuning they were the hardest starting turkeys ever and they would kick back hard and damage the multi idler starter gear system. 

GasGas updated the idlers making one a slipper mechanism. 

after checking valve clearance a leak down test to determine if the valves are leaking would be wise. The spark plug will probably be black from running way too rich. Another thing I'd check is pull off the left engine cover and pull the idler gears out and see if one has a slipper design to it. That comes apart as i it's not a solid gear should be obvious if its there.

I may even have them if it doesn't. 

Probably have the gasket.

In 2005 they fixed the head gasket problems ,Valve problems and perfected the fuel injection mapping after many hours at the Ducati factory using their Dyno room and technicians to tame the Magneti Marelli system.

You can find used throttle bodies on ebay once in a while.

I had a customer that tracked down injectors on the internet individually somehow. I'd ask him about it but he passed on to the great Trail ride in the sky. 

• Helpful 1

I have an 02 EC400FSE and they are always difficult to start. I always jump start mine of a car battery first start of the day. I even have a double battery set up I can use if needed. With these bikes, the starter motor draws so much current from the battery and the resulting volt drop causes the ECU to shut down.

I take it the fuel pump runs when you first switch on the ignition?

I tested my injector by removing it from the throttle body( 1 screw ) and placing a rag or tissue under it. Turning over the engine to see if fuel wets the tissue.

The gas gas riders forum is still going. There is a wealth of information on there.