CRF230 owners are Superior in General

There... I said it .... And I mean it too...

Good luck finding a forum with more riders who know how to modify and tune their bikes...

You can hardly spark ANY detailed technical or build talk .. let alone find any... On other bike forums...

It actually makes me dizzy to read the dipshittedness of the topics...  

"Who knows how to clean rust off and paint and old 2 stroke pipe??"

"What year Ford transmission case will adapt to my dirt bike??"

"Who knows jetting specs for a Rochester quadrajet on a GP supermoto ported CR125 by Lester's Garage??"

The list is endless....

Tools need to be put on the controlled substance list.... Tests given to apply for license to purchase tools...

No testy / No tooly.....

It needed to be said....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First off gentlemen...

I will introduce myself as a lifelong engine builder with 40+ years of 2 and 4 stroke performance engine building...

Engines I have built have topped many pro podiums in many national arenas....

Dynojet owner / operator with tens of thousands of development runs ... Ignition and fuel injection mapping a special area of Dyno expertise...

My main education and career is in radiation physics , and my main interest and lifelong hobby has always been off road engine building....

Porting of 2 stroke and 4 stroke engined(utterly a different in their disciplines) are an area of special interest for me... Thousands of heads and cylinders... Still have all the the porting and valve cutting a equipment although busy family life prevents me from adding commercial work you my schedule right now...

I also enjoy teaching as well as learning.... Check out my reply and fill in the blanks to the recent thumpertalk article from JE Pistons on high compression if you would like to see info I enjoy sharing...

So... Anyways....

What I have found unique to the CRF230 crowd is that their are a lot of lifelong hot rodding dirt biking addicts who love to build/ innovate/ customize everything under the sun....

They have many other dirt bikes etc... But they in general have a lot of information and a lot of experience that they enjoy sharing....

More of a "check out what I innovated" crowd than a "who do I make this check out to crowd"....

That's my observation from about 15 years of experience on engine/ off road forums of all kinds....

I'm sticking to it...

• Like 2

First off gentlemen...
I will introduce myself as a lifelong engine builder with 40+ years of 2 and 4 stroke performance engine building...
Dynojet owner / operator with tens of thousands of development runs ... Ignition and fuel injection mapping a special area of Dyno expertise...
My main education and career is in radiation physics , and my main interest and lifelong hobby has always been off road engine building....
Porting of 2 stroke and 4 stroke engined(utterly a different in their disciplines) are an area of special interest for me... Thousands of heads and cylinders... Still have all the the porting and valve cutting a equipment although busy family life prevents me from adding commercial work you my schedule right now...
I also enjoy teaching as well as learning.... Check out my reply and fill in the blanks to the recent thumpertalk article from JE Pistons on high compression if you would like to see info I enjoy sharing...
So... Anyways....
What I have found unique to the CRF230 crowd is that their are a lot of lifelong hot rodding dirt biking addicts who love to build/ innovate/ customize everything under the sun....
They have many other dirt bikes etc... But they in general have a lot of information and a lot of experience that they enjoy sharing....
More of a "check out what I innovated" crowd than a "who do I make this check out to crowd"....
That's my observation from about 15 years of experience on engine/ off road forums of all kinds....
I'm sticking to it...
I just like to ride motorcycles.
  • Like 1

I've gotta agree with ya Mix. And I tip my hat to ya. Guys like yourself, Chuck, Ricky, Adno, Swiss (where,ve you been anyway, we miss ya), The Baja guys, Metric (I know mix, you and him have gotten on each others' nerves), and of course Terry.

Man, do I sound like some dude, on the podium, thanking all my sponsors?  I'm sure I missed some of you and if I did don't think you aren't appreciated. Anyway, thanks guys.

Edited by Doogee57
add line
  • Helpful 2

2 hours ago, mixxer said:

First off gentlemen...

So... Anyways....

I'm sticking to it...

Ok mixxer I'm riding over 50 years . You left out 230 riders old retarded can't see. Hear or walk. Reduced to riding girls bike but still rising hell , when they get on girls bike?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, bajatrailrider said:

Ok mixxer I'm riding over 50 years . You left out 230 riders old retarded can't see. Hear or walk. Reduced to riding girls bike but still rising hell , when they get on girls bike?

That is the group with the most ability to make anything dirt bike work better....  And the group that has the biggest Nads to Never Say Die...

Everyone has 450s... Everyone has 250s... 2 stroke and 4 stroke.... 

But only the elite and manly enough.... Have killer 230's ... That they built themselves....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doogee57 said:

I've gotta agree with ya Mix. And I tip my hat to ya. Guys like yourself, Chuck, Ricky, Adno, Swiss (where,ve you been anyway, we miss ya), The Baja guys, Metric (I know mix, you and him have gotten on each others' nerves), and of course Terry.

Man, do I sound like some dude, on the podium, thanking all my sponsors?  I'm sure I missed some of you and if I did don't think you aren't appreciated. Anyway, thanks guys.

Swiss (Jim Schneider) passed away mid January 2014 after surgery for a brain tumor. It was pretty fast; he sent me an email saying he had a Doctor appointment and he passed about a month and a half later. His last TT post was early December 2013.  RIP

Edited by Chuck.

50 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

Swiss (Jim Schneider) passed away mid January 2014 after surgery for a brain tumor. It was pretty fast; he sent me an email saying he had a Doctor appointment and he passed about a month and a half later. His last TT post was early December 2013.  RIP

I'm very sorry to hear that. I really enjoyed reading his posts. His knowledge and experience was vast and we all benefited from his sharing it with us.

He is missed indeed.

• Like 2

Good luck finding a forum with more riders who know how to modify and tune their bikes...
You can hardly spark ANY detailed technical or build talk .. let alone find any... On other bike forums...
"Who knows jetting specs for a Rochester quadrajet on a GP supermoto ported CR125 by Lester's Garage??"
The list is endless....
Tools need to be put on the controlled substance list.... Tests given to apply for license to purchase tools...
No testy / No tooly.....

It needed to be said....

The DRZ400 forum is pretty savvy also. Suzuki left a lot on the table with that bike as well. You will find threads of owners adding EFI to engine builds making 60+ hp. Riders share information openly and help others in need out with free parts and labor. It definitely has more of a community feel to it than all others on here combined.

You're right about the absurdity on some of the other forums and it seems to be centered around older MX bikes. You have to remember though that those are mostly kids or young adults that don't know any better.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mixxer said:

The list is endless....

No testy / No tooly.....

It needed to be said....

I have also noticed this! I often feel alone until I talk with you guys here ? I take great pride in the fact I build 100% of my bikes myself. Any cutting welding. ALL suspension work including charging the shock with nitrogen. ALL the machine work like building my own stroker crank boring my own cyl. any head work including seat and guide work. I cant even imagine having to rely on some one else for any of that!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ricky racer said:

I have also noticed this! I often feel alone until I talk with you guys here ? I take great pride in the fact I build 100% of my bikes myself. Any cutting welding. ALL suspension work including charging the shock with nitrogen. ALL the machine work like building my own stroker crank boring my own cyl. any head work including seat and guide work. I cant even imagine having to rely on some one else for any of that!

I have to admit Ricky, I do admire your machining ability...  I'm actually jealous over your machine shop skills... Building your own stroker cranks is pretty badass

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

The DRZ400 forum is pretty savvy also. Suzuki left a lot on the table with that bike as well. You will find threads of owners adding EFI to engine builds making 60+ hp. Riders share information openly and help others in need out with free parts and labor. It definitely has more of a community feel to it than all others on here combined.

You're right about the absurdity on some of the other forums and it seems to be centered around older MX bikes. You have to remember though that those are mostly kids or young adults that don't know any better.

That is sooooo very good to know about that Suzuki forum..!

I haven't owned a drz400... But it has been on "the endless list"

I have done many many of the ltz quad engines for customers ... Those engines responded very well to mods... And they were reliable as hell...!

• Like 1

Just now, mixxer said:

I have to admit Ricky, I do admire your machining ability...  I'm actually jealous over your machine shop skills... Building your own stroker cranks is pretty badass

Thank you sir and the feeling is mutual with your vast knowledge of engine design and porting skills. This is the best forum on thumpertalk!

• Like 1

I will acknowledge the "community" feel to the 230 forum. That's why I spend a lot of time reading and posting in here, when I don't even have a 230. It's kinda close enough to my XR200R. 

It's nice that even when personalities and opinions differ, when arguments happen or feelings get hurt, it's able to be talked through, with people being open and receptive to hearing others out, or just letting it go.

I thought at one time the 80-200 forum had that feel, but anymore it seems to sit stagnant more than anything. 

Ricky, you do stroked rods? If/when I decide to do a stroker in my 200, would you be willing? Seems that Terry has a long list of work ahead of him when he's able.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daniel627 said:

Ricky, you do stroked rods? If/when I decide to do a stroker in my 200, would you be willing? Seems that Terry has a long list of work ahead of him when he's able.

I only have the capability to do strokers with a step crank pin if a rod can be found that's the right length. I have no way of doing it like Terry which is the preferred method IMHO. I used a crank pin from Green Human and he had already come up with using a rod from a TRX ? But I may be stepping up when my Dad retires (he's 71) and purchasing all the equipment to do motorcycle machine work out of my home shop. If I do I will let everyone know. I could do some side work now but my current job has me working 60+ a week so it takes awhile to get projects done.