New on 2 stroke, somes questions

Hello.  Sold my yz450 and got a yz250 2 strokes. It's a 2007, in nice shape, bone stock except for a pro circuit work pipe abd a 304 shorty silencer. 

The previous owner ran Hyperteck 50:1 oil/gaz mix. When i start the bike the idle is realy fast for 2 or 3 minutes, and the bike smoke alot!!! I have remove the cab to clean it and the main jet is a 192 (178 stock) and 48 pilot. 

I have order new pipe o-ring because smoke exit between pipe and cylinder. 

Now i want to mix it with yamalube 2R at 40:1 (because yamalube is the esiest oil to get for me). Do you think that 192 main is way to big??? 

I am new to 2 strokes and i look at you tube for good jetting videos but can't find one good for me. 

Can you give me somes tricks pleasec to get started? 

Thank's

On 9/14/2018 at 6:34 AM, David L. said:

Thank's

pro circuit has jetting guidlines on their site, don't soak the carb in carb cleaner just use some spray. Buy keihin jets, not cheaper chinese kit's or jets.

@David L. google spanky’s jetting guide 

45 pilot is a good start 

search zook needles for yz250 in this site 

40:1 is good ratio , but don’t be afraid to go 50:1 if you trails/single track ride

Ok. I have go down from 192 to 182 on main jet. I have put a new sparkplug and make a WOT pass, clutch and stop engine. 

I have cut the threads of the sparkplug and this is what i have obtain. 

15371364590215187634491996002128.jpg

20180916_183528.jpg

Edited by David L.

18 hours ago, highmarker said:

pro circuit has jetting guidlines on their site, don't soak the carb in carb cleaner just use some spray. Buy keihin jets, not cheaper chinese kit's or jets.

I have check it, but they say to keep stock 178, or if i am right, go down to 175....🤔

Guessing the previous owner somehow was guessing he needed a bigger main when he changed pipe?  who knows, maybe he bought a chinabay jet kit LOL.  Yamaha is usually real close in their stock 2 stroke jetting.

Edited by highmarker

Anywais, i think this bike have been jetted by a pro.  I have find a washer under the needle clip to fine tune it between #2 & #3 clip position.... 😁

• Like 1

Hello.  Sold my yz450 and got a yz250 2 strokes. It's a 2007, in nice shape, bone stock except for a pro circuit work pipe abd a 304 shorty silencer. 
The previous owner ran Hyperteck 50:1 oil/gaz mix. When i start the bike the idle is realy fast for 2 or 3 minutes, and the bike smoke alot!!! I have remove the cab to clean it and the main jet is a 192 (178 stock) and 48 pilot. 
I have order new pipe o-ring because smoke exit between pipe and cylinder. 
Now i want to mix it with yamalube 2R at 40:1 (because yamalube is the esiest oil to get for me). Do you think that 192 main is way to big??? 
I am new to 2 strokes and i look at you tube for good jetting videos but can't find one good for me. 
Thank's

why not go 32:1 on the Yamalube like the manual suggests?

1 minute ago, Tahoe Gator said:

why not go 32:1 on the Yamalube like the manual suggests?

Finally, on the pics i have post, the test was did at 32:1.

But today my son ride the bike, and it was only is third time on a bike so he ride it realy slow and not go on the pipe really often, so he fool a plug. 

But i will stau at 32:1

if he was using the bike for ice racing in frozen quebec temps long pulls ? could explain the big main jet. Bigger carb or bored carb too. 

Edited by highmarker

8 hours ago, highmarker said:

if he was using the bike for ice racing in frozen quebec temps long pulls ? could explain the big main jet. Bigger carb or bored carb too. 

I have think about ice racing. 

For the carb, when i have open it, he seam to be pretty stock.  No sign of boring in it. 

Thank's