Everyone has their own favorite chain lube, and there have been a zillion threads here about that.  I know nothing about dual sporting, but over the last couple years I've settled on Lucas chain lube.

• Like 1

good z, x, w, whatever-ring chain.  Clean it periodically and hit it with whatever oil/grease smells the best to you.

I've got a can of kal-guard stuff that seems to work fine.  Don't go overboard with it.

There is a lot of debate about this.  If it’s a dual sport bike, it probably has an o-ring/x-ring type sealed chain.  I have used these types of chains for the last 35 or so years.  I do not lube them at all.  After washing, I give it a good spray of WD40 to displace the water and to keep it from rusting.  I get great longevity out of my chains and sprockets.  IMO, putting chain lube on an o-ring chain does little more than act as a surface for dirt to stick to, which may just accelerate wear.

• Like 3

I use Maxima chain spray. I don't really think brand matters much.

Just be diligent about cleaning the chain when you wash your bike and lube and wipe the excess. Do that regularly with a quailty fill in the blank ring chain you will be fine.

Edited by 1.21GW

2 hours ago, Gflo said:

There is a lot of debate about this.  If it’s a dual sport bike, it probably has an o-ring/x-ring type sealed chain.  I have used these types of chains for the last 35 or so years.  I do not lube them at all.  After washing, I give it a good spray of WD40 to displace the water and to keep it from rusting.  I get great longevity out of my chains and sprockets.  IMO, putting chain lube on an o-ring chain does little more than act as a surface for dirt to stick to, which may just accelerate wear.

The few times I did run an oring chain on my mx bikes, I would not lube it with regular chain lube because it's sealed.

I would use a heavy duty silicone spray, so it could slide across the plastic guides.

• Like 2

Lately I've been using WD-40 Silicone Lubricant on my chains (both a sealed and non-sealed one),

after washing the bikes to displace water and prevent surface rust and, a quick shot before each moto when at the track.

Don't know about it's lubricating properties (better than nothing I guess) but one thing for sure it doesn't attract dirt at all.

link: https://www.google.ca/search?q=WD-40+silicone+lube&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=nCBjxfgKaMNuLM%3A%2COXHNxrmkqMDk0M%2C_&usg=AFrqEzfuwi_Qv8W-d8mh9ZJCgrdpQ7InBw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjRjrmGkL3dAhULD60KHZKrAwQQ9QEwH3oECAEQDg#imgrc=_

If it is a standard roller chain with no O/X rings, I use cheap Ace Hardware wanna be wd40.

If it has rings, I have been using Maxima Chain wax, 5000 miles on my stock Kawi chain, looks and works brand new, I ride about 50/50.

Clean with a pressure washer, run and fling dry then wax, almost everybody I know overwaxes their chain. It lasts a long time and survives many washings.

Does not attract dirt or fling off, I probably treat my chain about every 500 miles of non-mud riding.

• Like 1

I only ride dirt and use maxima chain wax. Clean the chain with a wire brush then spray it on. Only apply it every other ride or so. 70 hrs on a SRT chain and sprockets and they all still look great