Brad H

michigan New Rider in SE Michigan

I just joined the dual sport club as well as this forum.  Grabbed an ‘06 KLX250 and am looking for fellow locals to ride with (have plates and ORV)..  Also have a truck and free time for getting north.  I’ve been riding a road bike for many years (Magna 750 currently), but the off road aspect is new to me.  Since getting the bike, I’ve been logging miles on local dirt roads, but there’s nowhere to really get off road in Washtenaw county.  Planning a trip with a bunch of quad riders near Gladwin at the end of the month, but hoping to hook up with some other bike riders specifically sooner and/or later.  Being new to off road (albeit fairly confident), my better judgement is telling me to avoid heading out solo right away.  Any friendly folks willing to ride?  Or even, any other advice?

Edited by Brad H

Good choice on not riding solo. Too easy for something to go wrong and turn it into a nightmare. However, there are a few spots you can go where you would be able to work on your off road skills while still being in the company of others. There are a few places that aren't too far from that part of the state that are riding parks rather than trails off in the woods. "The Mounds" orv park is just north of Flint as well as "Bundy Hill" south of Jackson. I've never been to Bundy, but the Mounds is a fun place to play, just keep your eyes open for other riders. It's open 365 days a year from dawn to dusk, so it's easy to get a quick ride in after work during the week to avoid a lot of other riders. And if you get into trouble, the folks that run the place are really helpful. I've had good interactions with other riders as well. I had a guy help me wrestle my XR400 out of the trees after I got in over my head. My son and I go sometimes on Sunday afternoons and weeknights just to get a ride in. You'll need an ORV sticker (they sell them) and the fee is $15 or you can buy a yearly pass, but I can't remember the cost. They have a pavilion in the parking lot with tables, so you can bring a lunch or just take a break. 

Keep an eye out on this forum and you'll see guys looking for riding partners quite often. I usually ride with my son who is 13 and a newish rider as well, if we are heading someplace nearby, I'll let you know. 

On 9/14/2018 at 5:29 PM, Brad H said:

I just joined the dual sport club as well as this forum.  Grabbed an ‘06 KLX250 and am looking for fellow locals to ride with (have plates and ORV)..  Also have a truck and free time for getting north.  I’ve been riding a road bike for many years (Magna 750 currently), but the off road aspect is new to me.  Since getting the bike, I’ve been logging miles on local dirt roads, but there’s nowhere to really get off road in Washtenaw county.  Planning a trip with a bunch of quad riders near Gladwin at the end of the month, but hoping to hook up with some other bike riders specifically sooner and/or later.  Being new to off road (albeit fairly confident), my better judgement is telling me to avoid heading out solo right away.  Any friendly folks willing to ride?  Or even, any other advice?

I live in the Detroit area and ride at Mounds fairly regularly. I also just got into off-road riding this year. Next season I am planning on riding up north as much as possible. I'd be happy to ride with you any time, and like has been said already there are a bunch of the guys in the area to ride with. Feel free to shoot me a PM and maybe we can get in some riding before it gets to cold.

-David

On 9/17/2018 at 8:31 AM, RK-REX said:

Good choice on not riding solo. Too easy for something to go wrong and turn it into a nightmare. However, there are a few spots you can go where you would be able to work on your off road skills while still being in the company of others. There are a few places that aren't too far from that part of the state that are riding parks rather than trails off in the woods. "The Mounds" orv park is just north of Flint as well as "Bundy Hill" south of Jackson. I've never been to Bundy, but the Mounds is a fun place to play, just keep your eyes open for other riders. It's open 365 days a year from dawn to dusk, so it's easy to get a quick ride in after work during the week to avoid a lot of other riders. And if you get into trouble, the folks that run the place are really helpful. I've had good interactions with other riders as well. I had a guy help me wrestle my XR400 out of the trees after I got in over my head. My son and I go sometimes on Sunday afternoons and weeknights just to get a ride in. You'll need an ORV sticker (they sell them) and the fee is $15 or you can buy a yearly pass, but I can't remember the cost. They have a pavilion in the parking lot with tables, so you can bring a lunch or just take a break. 

Keep an eye out on this forum and you'll see guys looking for riding partners quite often. I usually ride with my son who is 13 and a newish rider as well, if we are heading someplace nearby, I'll let you know. 

Do you ride at Mounds often? If you see a guy on an old TTR250 that looks like he doesn't know what he is doing that will be me. I am planning on riding there tomorrow.

-David

My son has a buddy spending the weekend, so we are not riding this weekend, but I'll definitely let you know when we do. You do the same. We'd be a good pair then. I'm the guy who's way too short for an XR400, who's 13 year old is laughing while I fall a lot. Have a blast tomorrow, post some pictures!

Cheers,

Rikk

On 10/11/2018 at 9:25 PM, RK-REX said:

My son has a buddy spending the weekend, so we are not riding this weekend, but I'll definitely let you know when we do. You do the same. We'd be a good pair then. I'm the guy who's way too short for an XR400, who's 13 year old is laughing while I fall a lot. Have a blast tomorrow, post some pictures!

Cheers,

Rikk

Last Friday was definitely a bad luck dayat Mounds. I had left the ignition on the bike turned on after I power washed it. When I unloaded the bike the battery was dead and it wouldn't bump start. Considered jumping it with my truck, but as old as the bike is I thought I would be risking getting stuck out in the woods if I stalled and couldn't restart. As much as it killed me I had to go back home.

I jump started it at home and rode around by the house. The bike wouldn't start on it own though, so not jumping it mounds was the right move.

Anyway, got a new battery so I will be riding there Friday if anyone wants to meet up.

14 hours ago, dave074 said:

Last Friday was definitely a bad luck dayat Mounds. I had left the ignition on the bike turned on after I power washed it. When I unloaded the bike the battery was dead and it wouldn't bump start. Considered jumping it with my truck, but as old as the bike is I thought I would be risking getting stuck out in the woods if I stalled and couldn't restart. As much as it killed me I had to go back home.

I jump started it at home and rode around by the house. The bike wouldn't start on it own though, so not jumping it mounds was the right move.

Anyway, got a new battery so I will be riding there Friday if anyone wants to meet up.

That sucks. We've all been there in some way, shape or form. 

Dang, I'd love to go, but my girlfriend and I are going to Lansing to watch MSU vs UM rugby at the Lansing Lugnuts Stadium. Can't miss that, even for riding. I've played against them both in my past life. I've been retired from rugby for 10 years or so.

Let us know how it goes, hope you have a blast!

The kiddo and I are going out to the Mounds this Saturday, the 27th. Will be there about 1pm I'd guess. He has a bowling league on Saturday mornings, so we'll head over after. We stick together riding and he is easy to identify even with his helmet on. The hair and all. It'd be cool to meet someone from here. I'll be on the XR400 and he on the XR200.

Riding.thumb.jpeg.0931eca5b2398cd46ea6319c7dbc2cc1.jpegcool

Edited by RK-REX

I was hoping I'd be able to get out to Mounds tomorrow but it looks like I can't. Have fun! And stay warm and dry if possible! 🙂

On 10/27/2018 at 6:54 PM, dave074 said:

I was hoping I'd be able to get out to Mounds tomorrow but it looks like I can't. Have fun! And stay warm and dry if possible! 🙂

We had a great afternoon of riding. Unloaded about 1 or so and rode until almost dark. This was my son's first time riding trails on a full sized bike, up until now, it's been mostly flat field. He did great. He kept going on about how much more power the 200 had over his 100. Granted the trails there aren't like up north single track, but he did really well with clutch/brake control on some of the sketchy uphill/downhill stuff. Only dropped it once or twice. Very proud of him. 

The weather was kind to us for the most part. Sprinkled off an on, but not enough to notice and the temps were great as long as you were not running too fast. Many people will say the Mounds sucks, but it's 45 minutes from home, it's seat time for Nicholas to develop skills and most importantly, it was an afternoon of dad and son riding together. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 8:58 AM, RK-REX said:

We had a great afternoon of riding. Unloaded about 1 or so and rode until almost dark. This was my son's first time riding trails on a full sized bike, up until now, it's been mostly flat field. He did great. He kept going on about how much more power the 200 had over his 100. Granted the trails there aren't like up north single track, but he did really well with clutch/brake control on some of the sketchy uphill/downhill stuff. Only dropped it once or twice. Very proud of him. 

The weather was kind to us for the most part. Sprinkled off an on, but not enough to notice and the temps were great as long as you were not running too fast. Many people will say the Mounds sucks, but it's 45 minutes from home, it's seat time for Nicholas to develop skills and most importantly, it was an afternoon of dad and son riding together. :thumbsup:

Man, that is awesome. That's what its all about! 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 9:28 PM, 95silverstallion said:

Man, I live literally 5 minutes from the Mounds and haven't been there in 20 years. 

You should go back. Its a nice place to ride.

Nah, there are some parts that are pretty much for trucks and jeeps only, but only because of the depth of the mud/water. There is a nice jeep rock garden that you can use to hone your skills on if that's your thing. Plenty of trails that are quad width, lots up short hills and tight turns. There is a spot with some technical bike stuff, but I didn't run it because Nicholas wasn't up to that level yet on a full sized bike. I think the rain on the logs and rocks may have scared him off a little, but eventually he'll do it I'm sure. The scramble area is good to practice ridding in sand.

Since you're a resident, it's like $10 for a day pass. I'd go really early morning or later afternoon on the weekends to avoid more people. We hardly saw other riders when we were there, but it was a little rainy and 40 some degrees, so that keeps a lot of bikes at home. It's a good time for what it is. 

Go solo, just go prepared. Don't ride with quads, they'll just slow you down.

On 11/20/2018 at 8:11 PM, 95silverstallion said:

The talk around town for years was always that the place was taken over by monster trucks and Jeep's and rutted all to hell. So we never went.

I haven't seen any monster trucks, but I saw some crazy steampunk looking mud buggy.

For a quick and easy partial day of riding it is not a bad option.

• Like 1