RPMs slow to return to idle after throttle blip

I have a new 2019 390 rrs. If I slightly blip the throttle it stays elevated for a couple seconds before to return to idle.  It's an issue when going down hill.  It makes the bike go faster than I intended.  The barrel adjuster is screwed all the way in.  The throttle tube snaps back quickly so there is no binding in the cable.  Any ideas?

Before putting on IMS tank or after?  If after Th cable needs rerouting.

Try unhooking battery for a couple minutes.  Then hook it backup start bike, do not rev just let it idle until fan comes on, shut off, put helmet on and go for a short ride should take care of it. Always let bike warm up to operating temp before riding so it can do it's stepper motor adaptation, do not at any time give it throttle to speed up the process.

Sometimes after unhooking the battery the FI light will come on then go out it has flashed an error code probably meaning low voltage to the injector, yes because bat was unhooked, just ignore it next time bike is at Doctor the fault code can be deleted on computer.

The system will settle down as break in process continues.

Later George

Thanks.   I'll give it a try in the morning.   Not sure if it was occurring before the IMS tank was I put the tank on right away after purchasing. 

George is spot on. Make sure your cable is routed with enough slack and not catching anything. It can happen after IMS install. Check that it's not catching your handlebar top clamp. It can slightly catch there and just barely pull the throttle cable. 

If everything is clear, start the motor from cold, no throttle for 10 minutes, then shut off. You should have normal idle at this point. 

The motor might do the hanging idle a few times before fully broken in. A good 4-5 minutes of idle warm up before each ride is key. 

Have fun, great bikes! 

Agree with what all have said.  I always start my bike and let it warm up for at least 5 minutes while I put my gear on.  If it is a major change in weather or altitude I let it warm up until the fan comes on, then shut it off.  

When I first got my 2018 390, I felt like on downhills it wanted to keep going, then it settled in and now it is a scalpel of control. 

Edited by TroutRunner
  • Like 1

Did you put an aftermarket pipe on it? I actually like the run-on effect. It reminds me of a 2T so I can coast into turns. When I put on the FMF pipe I asked my dealer to load the +100 map. I was thinking of trying the +300 map

5 hours ago, randysoo said:

Did you put an aftermarket pipe on it? I actually like the run-on effect. It reminds me of a 2T so I can coast into turns. When I put on the FMF pipe I asked my dealer to load the +100 map. I was thinking of trying the +300 map

That's funny.

Resetting the stepper motor did the trick.  Much better ride today.  Did Black Bear and Imogene passes near Silverton CO and the bike performed great.  Thanks.

Edited by BobOdenweller
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BobOdenweller said:

Resetting the stepper motor did the trick.  Much better ride today.  Did Black Bear and Imogene passes near Silverton CO and the bike performed great.  Thanks.

Excellent. Sounds like you had a great ride! 

I had the handling idle one time last Fall. It was annoying coming into corners as it would push you into the corner. Did stepper motor reset following day and haven't needed to do it since.