How not to get screwed when buying dirt bike?

All you need is a 10mm socket.  I just bought a bike myself and the first thing we did was remove the seat and look at the air filter.
Its just two bolts. Anyone who knows anything about dirt bikes should not even hesitate to say yes if you ask to see the air filter. 

Okay, thanks. The only dirt bike I've worked on was from 1987 and the seat came of entirely differant

On 9/17/2018 at 7:35 PM, Adric123 said:

Planning on meeting with a guy this Thursday to buy an rm85 from 2006 for $700.00. He lives in a sub division and we plan on meeting at 7pm so the amount of rideing possible is very little, and I probably cant rev it very high as it'll wake up people who may be sleeping and annoy people who arent. Just looking for tips on what to look over before purchase. I've bought 1 used bike before and their were a lot of un welcomed surprises, so I'm very worried. Any help is appreciated, thanks! Also I'm sure theres other threads like this but I'm adding this one for my specific situation.

Adric,  i only read the first page of replies so i dont know if the idea of piston slap was suggested when inspecting any 2stroke.  

2strokes dont have a long ring life.  They make great dirt bikes because of their light weight and power for their size and weight. 

2 strokes wear at the ports and get what is called piston slap when the rings, ports and cylinder are worn.   Rev it and listen for piston slap noise.  If it has slap and you get it cheap it might be worth it.  A new top end is needed. 

on a 4stroke i look  at the oil,  intake, exhaust ports and engine casing seals and gaskets for signs of oil leaks and consumption.  if it's real clean i would be suspicious of consumption and oil leaks.

Edited by chuck12345

Adric,  i only read the first page of replies so i dont know if the idea of piston slap was suggested when inspecting any 2stroke.  
 2strokes dont have a long ring life.  They make great dirt bikes because of their light weight and power for their size and weight. 
2 strokes wear at the ports and get what is called piston slap when the rings, ports and cylinder are worn.   Rev it and listen for piston slap noise.  If it has slap and you get it cheap it might be worth it.  A new top end is needed. 
on a 4stroke i look  at the oil,  intake, exhaust ports and engine casing seals and gaskets for signs of oil leaks and consumption.  if it's real clean i would be suspicious of consumption and oil leaks.
Is piston slap the same thing as an engine knock, or at least one thing that can cause an engine knock? Thanks

6 minutes ago, Adric123 said:
16 minutes ago, chuck12345 said:

Read more  

Is piston slap the same thing as an engine knock, or at least one thing that can cause an engine knock? Thanks

no, its not an engine knock.  Piston slap is a loud slap noise from the piston in the cylinder slapping against the cylinder wall when revved depending on how bad the rings, cylinder ports and piston are worn.  The worse the wear the louder the slap noise will be.  Extremely worn will be very loud when revved.   I don't know how to give you an example of what it sounds like but it might sound like hitting 2 aluminum cans together real fast.  rev it and listen at the cylinder.  it will be a very noisy sound when revved.  Probably wont hear when at idle.

heres something from you tube.  maybe it will help.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=2+stroke+piston+slap+sound+

no, its not an engine knock.  Piston slap is a loud slap noise from the piston in the cylinder slapping against the cylinder wall when revved depending on how bad the rings, cylinder ports and piston are worn.  The worse the wear the louder the slap noise will be.  Extremely worn will be very loud when revved.   I don't know how to give you an example of what it sounds like but it might sound like hitting 2 aluminum cans together real fast.  rev it and listen at the cylinder.  it will be a very noisy sound when revved.  Probably wont hear when at idle.

heres something from you tube.  maybe it will help.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=2+stroke+piston+slap+sound+
I had never heard of that, found some videos through your link so I think I've got an idea of what it sounds like now, thanks! I'll be on the lookout for it

2 hours ago, Adric123 said:
5 hours ago, CFR Donkey said:
"I'm not a kid, I'm a teenager"
Haaaaahaaaaa,(deep breath), haaaaahaaaaa
Sometimes I just gotta chime in!!

You know I meant I'm not a young child. In the context it was in I would've thought you would understand, especially since this thread is talking about a dirt bike generally used by young kids, and whilst you knew this, Instead of responding to my question, or not responding at all, you had to come be rude and disrespectful. Would've you preferred I just lied and said I wasn't a child at all? Or Would've you preferred I just pretend like I'm 9? People wont take you seriously if they think you're a young kid, not a great situation to be in when I'm looking for help on how not to waste my money.

Ok Jr.  Relax, I was just messing with you!!  

Things to look for, lock the front tire between your legs and move the bars back and forth. There should be no movement, this will tell you if the front wheel bearings or riser bushings are shot.  Do the same with the rear wheel. Next move on to the brakes pads. Check to see how worn they are.  Like mentioned above a true bike owner will make sure things such as this are in good shape. Rear pads should have at least a 1/4" on them. Front about an 1/8. I never let mine go past that.  I would not suggest buying it if you can't ride it. I like to at least run through the gears. You don't need to be full throttle but make sure they all work and this will also give you an idea of how the clutch is. Everything should shift smoothly. Pull the plug wire and look at the spark plug. If it looks like it was just put in(perfectly shiny white) walk away. Usually means that the bike is not running properly. New plug will get you through a sale but not a trip through the woods. Other than that air cleaner, fork seals and overall cosmetic appearance. For the price your by no means going to get a gem, remember that two. Wiegh things out. If you need to invest 4 or 5 hundred you still have a good bike at a good price. You start getting into the thousands you're gonna be upside down in a hurry.  Now go finish your homework!!  

On 9/18/2018 at 12:02 AM, CDNSXV said:

We should have a poll:

Who would let a stranger pull large parts off their bike?   Cause I'm willing to bet the answer is NOBODY.  ???

Personally, I'd laugh, then tell them to get the hell off my property cause they are clearly on meth and up to no good. Lol

23 hours ago, smirmeister said:
23 hours ago, Adric123 said:
Thanks, but I'm not going to ask to remove the head. That's a pretty big procedure and often involves replacing o rings. But seriously though thanks for the response

That's why you bring a boroscope to look thought the spark plug hole. You can get ones that plug into your phone.

It's called an endoscope. I got one off of eBay just to do that for 10 bucks lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adric123 said:
3 minutes ago, Yammyhammer said:
It's called an endoscope. I got one off of eBay just to do that for 10 bucks lol. 

I would've to but I didn't have time

I'd definitely get one tho. They are cheap and you can literally put your piston all the way down and inspect pretty much all of your cylinder and the top of the piston and not have to take it apart. Just get one that is waterproof so you can stick it in the block if you ever wanna look over everything inside of it. Mine has led lights and plugs into my phone so I can zoom it take pictures or video what ole ever.  

• Like 2

I'd definitely get one tho. They are cheap and you can literally put your piston all the way down and inspect pretty much all of your cylinder and the top of the piston and not have to take it apart. Just get one that is waterproof so you can stick it in the block if you ever wanna look over everything inside of it. Mine has led lights and plugs into my phone so I can zoom it take pictures or video what ole ever.  
I dont have time before I look at the bike, its tomorrow and I'm not old enough to drive haha. But, in the future I'll probably get one if that's what you mean, itd definitely come in handy
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, I'm trying said:

10 bucks on ebay eh. Can you do a colonoscopy with that. Um askin for a friend.

Yep sure can, and it's fun at parties or to spice up married life.  Wanna see where babies come from? $10+ebay=you can, and in hd while you get stills or video!!?

Edited by Yammyhammer

9 minutes ago, Adric123 said:

What has this thread becomeemoji23.png

A "kid" yes unfortunately your still a kid in the eyes of veterans. Listen to what your "elders" recommend. We may be old and slow on our bikes but know what we are talking about. My best memories as a young lad is buying something that needed work. Get your hands dirty. If you have trouble figuring things out this site will guide you through. There is also your generation of utube videos. I didn't have that growing up. Pull it apart and use your hands again to put it together. Just an old guy giving advice. Take it as a grain of salt if you will

A "kid" yes unfortunately your still a kid in the eyes of veterans. Listen to what your "elders" recommend. We may be old and slow on our bikes but know what we are talking about. My best memories as a young lad is buying something that needed work. Get your hands dirty. If you have trouble figuring things out this site will guide you through. There is also your generation of utube videos. I didn't have that growing up. Pull it apart and use your hands again to put it together. Just an old guy giving advice. Take it as a grain of salt if you will
Yes I am a kid, but if I call myself that it puts the eyes of a 9 year old in peoples head and they wont take me seriously, my age really isnt important in this regard. Thanks for the tips though, I appreciate it

Just now, Adric123 said:
4 minutes ago, CFR Donkey said:

Read more  

Yes I am a kid, but if I call myself that it puts the eyes of a 9 year old in peoples head and they wont take me seriously, my age really isnt important in this regard. Thanks for the tips though, I appreciate it

No worries man. Important part is you get something and get out and ride. We need more of the younger generation to get involved in riding. Not on the road being hoodlums. Actually involved in real riding. Take care and I hope the best. Keep me posted on how the purchase turns out. Cheers

No worries man. Important part is you get something and get out and ride. We need more of the younger generation to get involved in riding. Not on the road being hoodlums. Actually involved in real riding. Take care and I hope the best. Keep me posted on how the purchase turns out. Cheers
Thanks, ill try to post pics if I get it