New to US dirtbiking - Hot to get started in California

On 9/19/2018 at 7:07 AM, _Rice_ said:

Hey,

my name is Bastian and I just moved to Sacramento. I am from Germany and like soft and hard Enduro riding. I prefer single trails, but usually I don't race. 

I have been reading a lot of different forums and sites (http://ohv.parks.ca.gov https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/  ) about riding in the US/California and I am a little bit confused with the information I found so far. That's why I am asking for help to get me started with all the "rules" and "things i need to know" before I go and buy a motorcycle and gear. 

On this page (http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26294) OHMVR FAQ, there are a lot of questions answered but I just wanted to make sure I understand it in the right way.

1. If I buy a dual sport bike, I can use it on and offroad. I get an official licence plate for on road. Offroad only when I get the green/red sticker. Is there anything to be aware of on choosing the dual sport bike?
  2. Is there a list of dual sport bikes that have the green / red sticker approval?
  3. One stickers is for all parks. That means I pay around 50 bucks per year to ride in all parks in California 
  4. In Germany I have a KTM 450 EXC-F with all the lighting equipment which is road legal in Germany. Would this be a dual sport bike in the US? Or would it be called a Dirt bike?

I think these are the most important questions but more will possibly rise up when someone helped me with the answers.

Thank you for your efforts and hopefully I will see some of you on the trail someday soon ?

PM me, I'll let you know and get you up to speed on everything you need to know. I too am in the Sacramento area.

On 9/19/2018 at 7:58 AM, 1.21GW said:

Just stick with a KTM or Husqvarna 'Dual Sport' model that are street legal. EXC or FE.  

Yeah KTM or Husky, do I want PDS (KTM) or linkage (Husky). Pretty much same bike either way.  Or check out

the Beta's. They make some nice plated dirt bikes as well. Really you can't go wrong with any of those three. I see you've

found Rider Planet. That's a good resouce.  Enjoy "Cali", hook up with some locals and eventually you'll find the good stuff. There's a lot of great riding areas in NorCal on and not on maps.

• Like 1

Hello to everyone who took the time to write me, help me, or just sent his comments on whatever he thought was necessary. I didn't expect so many answers in such a short time.

Either most of you have just too much free time or you are just passionate about the sport and the forum. Both is cool in its own way ?

As you may have noticed already, I corrected the topic title that many of you didn't like as it was. It was just a wrong assumption that I would reach the limit of allowed characters for the topic title.

@bigbob Thx for the explanation for the locations I will check on them

@bigbob I prefer a 4 stroke as I am lazy with the gears and do like the smell of 2 stroke. Doesn't mean i cannot drive 2 stroke it is just not my preference

@1.21GW I guess after your and others explanation it only makes sense for me to get a plated bike. As you do not have too much mud there is no real need for offroad tires anyway.

@hawaii500_1999 I do plan to bring any vehicle from Germany. I thought about it but there are many restrictions and i think it is not really worth the trouble. I will go for a US bike

@irme42day Thank you for your contribution but I think you are offtopic. Posting something to go to Arizona in a California section sounds like trolling around to me. But I don't want to judge on that and I did not really get your point there

@jeff aka Bolt & bigbob Thanks for showing me your junk and expressing your love for each other in this topic. I like the spirit

@ExilleTTR Thank you for the advice with the FB group but it is only my very last resort to use facebook for anything and i hope this is not necessary to find riding buddies

@cobra46 Thanks for the explanation, this is something that I did not read before. And hope to see you on a trial !

@Mongo134 Done. Hope to hear from you soon

@Joepass I owned a Yamaha, Honda, KTM and Beta. all 4t and around 450ccm. I liked KTM best for its maintainability and i prefer injection over carb. My KTM in Germany has around 200 hours and nothing major was necessary to be done. Piston+rings are okay, even the valves were still in spec. I like the Austrian brand and i guess i will stick with it ?

Thanks for your help and here is some picture of me and my ride in Wales (UK). This was the worst weather I were ever out for riding. Constant rain and/or snow and temperatures just around freezing  ( 0°C / 32°F). Every 15 minutes stopping for deicing of hands but still had my fun with Rob (my local guide for the day)

image.png.bd2cd8c260ea613bbac155da28d836d1.png

• Like 4

“Not too much mud, so No real need for off road tires “? Was that a typo? Or did you just touch on our second most favorite topic. Perhaps you are thinking on the subject of DOT street rated off road tires on plated bikes. You can run whatever tires you want. There are no tire police. Depends on how much pavement you plan to ride . Plenty guys throw aggressive full dirt tires on plated bikes. Others chose a street rated less aggressive tire. Lots of options as an experienced rider like you knows.

Whatever, great reply.

Riding in UK in rain and snow and freezing temps? Yikes. Well then Welcome to Sunny rainless California. Riding temps range from 50-90F.

Hey borat, welcome to California, home of the Nazi liberals. See what I did there

After you get bored riding with  the lightweights on this forum, (mongo134 and his crew) Let me know when you are ready to go on real rides, I know you will be able to ride because all Europeans can ride.

Welp, put another shrimp on the barbie m8 

Edited by its the Riddler
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Bastian, better get that new CA dirt bike soon. When the first rains come usually in October, the dirt in the mountains suddenly goes from dusty to PERFECT traction and the Fall riding season is ON!   (apologies for the secret spot lush forests photo go out to the Stonyford and Cow mtn riders who no longer have any trees due the fires :doh: )

GT027.jpg

Edited by bigbob
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, _Rice_ said:

Hello to everyone who took the time to write me, help me, or just sent his comments on whatever he thought was necessary. I didn't expect so many answers in such a short time.

Either most of you have just too much free time or you are just passionate about the sport and the forum. Both is cool in its own way ;)

@irme42day Thank you for your contribution but I think you are offtopic. Posting something to go to Arizona in a California section sounds like trolling around to me. But I don't want to judge on that and I did not really get your point there

Bastian,

Most of us are passionate about riding and making fun of each other.

irme42day's Arizona comment was somewhat on topic and kind of a joke.  If I recall correctly from when I was stationed in Germany, you have national motor vehicle registration with the first two license characters denoting your location.  Here in the US, motor vehicle registration and driving laws are controlled at the state level.  Yes, each state has slightly different laws.  The basic driving laws are the same but things vary like turning right on a red light, texting or holding a cell phone, MC lane sharing, etc.  Another relevant difference is California is very difficult if not impossible to add a plate to a dirt bike due to our state government restrictions.  Arizona on the other hand will plate just about anything.

• Like 1

Hey borat, welcome to California, home of the Nazi liberals. See what I did there

After you get bored riding with  the lightweights on this forum, (mongo134 and his crew) Let me know when you are ready to go on real rides, I know you will be able to ride because all Europeans can ride.

1) this is the best post in this thread

2) if you ride hard enduro you'll like riding with Riddler, even the all new weak-sauce watered down PC norcal version.

3) Anyone else remember when Riddler was actually mean? I miss that version.

Riddler v1.0 was way better.
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, its the Riddler said:

Have ypur genitals even dropped yet Toddler? :thinking:

Hint..... Mexicans aren't European. Grab your rake! ?

Edited by Mongo134
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, its the Riddler said:

He'll need to hook up with Bibob to get some springs first.  Us Germans carry the burden of high caloric meat diets.  ?

• Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 12:33 AM, _Rice_ said:

Either most of you have just too much free time or you are just passionate about the sport and the forum. Both is cool in its own way ;)

As you may have noticed already, I corrected the topic title that many of you didn't like as it was. It was just a wrong assumption that I would reach the limit of allowed characters for the topic title.

@bigbob Thx for the explanation for the locations I will check on them

@bigbob I prefer a 4 stroke as I am lazy with the gears and do like the smell of 2 stroke. Doesn't mean i cannot drive 2 stroke it is just not my preference

@1.21GW I guess after your and others explanation it only makes sense for me to get a plated bike. As you do not have too much mud there is no real need for offroad tires anyway.

@hawaii500_1999 I do plan to bring any vehicle from Germany. I thought about it but there are many restrictions and i think it is not really worth the trouble. I will go for a US bike

@jeff aka Bolt & bigbob Thanks for showing me your junk and expressing your love for each other in this topic. I like the spirit

@ExilleTTR Thank you for the advice with the FB group but it is only my very last resort to use facebook for anything and i hope this is not necessary to find riding buddies

@cobra46 Thanks for the explanation, this is something that I did not read before. And hope to see you on a trial !

@Mongo134 Done. Hope to hear from you soon

@Joepass I owned a Yamaha, Honda, KTM and Beta. all 4t and around 450ccm. I liked KTM best for its maintainability and i prefer injection over carb. My KTM in Germany has around 200 hours and nothing major was necessary to be done. Piston+rings are okay, even the valves were still in spec. I like the Austrian brand and i guess i will stick with it ;)

Thanks for your help and here is some picture of me and my ride in Wales (UK). This was the worst weather I were ever out for riding. Constant rain and/or snow and temperatures just around freezing  ( 0°C / 32°F). Every 15 minutes stopping for deicing of hands but still had my fun with Rob (my local guide for the day)

image.png.bd2cd8c260ea613bbac155da28d836d1.png

I’d like to get some mention for saying nothing. ?

• Haha 1

Achtung baby..   my 2 cents,if you want to ride dirt/trails, get a red sticker, it won't hold you back from anything worth riding in Norcal/closeby Nevada.If you want fluffy street riding no fun no sweating, get a dual sport, which would hold you back from real riding [heavy].Dirk 3/4 Kraut