Mountain Bike Only Trails

Just found out that one of the four trails in Mt Baker Snoqualmie Forest is not even accessible to anyone for road destruction, wash out. Good grief, we need to pressure that forest to open up to some trail building...

But, after working on a trail system last winter, making 40 miles of trails isn't easy work and requires lots of volunteers. Money isn't the issue, but manpower is. Had pretty good luck recruiting folks from thumpertalk to assist in the building but it wasn't easy. 

This winter I've got the energy and determination to build trails, just need to find a place that will let me do it... I'd build an army of 10-12 men women and kids willing to get dirty and make some trails. If anyone has ideas of a place open to that kind of thing, let me know. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ACree said:

And what's that gotten for you? Maybe bigger signs would get new trails built.

Evergreen MTB has never waved signs on the capitol steps.  

Maybe because the Evergreen MTB folks are akin to children without any experience. They haven't been around long enough for the state to welch on their end of the deal. The Evergreen MTB folks have never had millions of their dollars stolen to put gravel in a rainforest and claim it to be a world class off road area. The Evergreen MTB folks haven't had to deal with others destroying their trails and claiming them as their own.

Apples to Oranges.  Or as I like to call it....a 5yr old talking about marriage. Entertaining, but not very relevant to anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerTanker said:

Just found out that one of the four trails in Mt Baker Snoqualmie Forest is not even accessible to anyone for road destruction, wash out. Good grief, we need to pressure that forest to open up to some trail building...

But, after working on a trail system last winter, making 40 miles of trails isn't easy work and requires lots of volunteers. Money isn't the issue, but manpower is. Had pretty good luck recruiting folks from thumpertalk to assist in the building but it wasn't easy. 

This winter I've got the energy and determination to build trails, just need to find a place that will let me do it... I'd build an army of 10-12 men women and kids willing to get dirty and make some trails. If anyone has ideas of a place open to that kind of thing, let me know. 

I think trails are easy to build. Take a roll of ribbon and go for a hike....hang some ribbons....make a couple loops.....have a poker run.....Say GO!

After the trails are burned in, go back and fix a few areas....that always happens, just go fix it.  Easy 20+ miles of trail

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Slackkinhard said:

Maybe because the Evergreen MTB folks are akin to children without any experience. They haven't been around long enough for the state to welch on their end of the deal. The Evergreen MTB folks have never had millions of their dollars stolen to put gravel in a rainforest and claim it to be a world class off road area. The Evergreen MTB folks haven't had to deal with others destroying their trails and claiming them as their own.

Apples to Oranges.  Or as I like to call it....a 5yr old talking about marriage. Entertaining, but not very relevant to anything.

Well, take it for what its worth, but what I hear from others in the trail community is the opposite.  Moto dudes that wave signs around and bitch about the past, and offer no solutions other than 'it isn't fair', while MTBers and the rest figure out how the system works and then make it work for them. They act like adults, work with other groups and guess what.  They get stuff done.  Call them children without any experience I guess, but they've got a lot of new trail to ride that you don't.  I'd sure rather be wrong like them than right like you.

And most of them that know anything about it will agree that Reiter was a travesty.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

I think trails are easy to build. Take a roll of ribbon and go for a hike....hang some ribbons....make a couple loops.....have a poker run.....Say GO!

After the trails are burned in, go back and fix a few areas....that always happens, just go fix it.  Easy 20+ miles of trail

You know, there is some damn truth to that. But, use gravity as your friend...start from the top and let the nature work of gravity assist you. After it's all worn in, you can perhaps ride your bike up that sucker...?

Last winter, working on trails, the early trails were really rough....and boy did that make it fun.

There is a place I think some work like this could be done, but clandestinely. Afterwards...."gee, not sure how THAT got here, but hey, since it is...well, we ALL just started to ride it..." 

Again, all I need are about 4-12 guys that are willing to get dirty and sweaty this late fall.... 

PM me with your email and I'll be in touch. 

Edited by TigerTanker

2 minutes ago, ACree said:

Well, take it for what its worth, but what I hear from others in the trail community is the opposite.  Moto dudes that wave signs around and bitch about the past, and offer no solutions other than 'it isn't fair', while MTBers and the rest figure out how the system works and then make it work for them. They act like adults, work with other groups and guess what.  They get stuff done.  Call them children without any experience I guess, but they've got a lot of new trail to ride that you don't.  I'd sure rather be wrong like them than right like you.

And most of them that know anything about it will agree that Reiter was a travesty.  

Some folks in this world piss, moan, complain...others...they DO. 

I do. 

Folks, if you wanna make some new trails let me know what your email is via PM and I'll find shit for us to do this late fall until early spring. Ribbon, gravity, attitude....

• Like 1

Just now, ACree said:

The new guy is always allowed to 'get some things done'....I don't give any credit to that. It won't be long before someone targets their activity and the state will buckle, steal their money, not hold up their end of the bargain, and all this stuff you seem to be giving them credit for will be out the door.  How do I know?  Been there, done that, in 3 states....the 3rd rock doesn't change. Relationships don't start out rocky...but they often go there and the state isn't known for it's integrity.

4 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

You know, there is some damn truth to that. But, use gravity as your friend...start from the top and let the nature work of gravity assist you. After it's all worn in, you can perhaps ride your bike up that sucker...?

Last winter, working on trails, the early trails were really rough....and boy did that make it fun.

There is a place I think some work like this could be done, but clandestinely. Afterwards...."gee, not sure how THAT got here, but hey, since it is...well, we ALL just started to ride it..." 

Again, all I need are about 4-12 guys that are willing to get dirty and sweaty this late fall.... 

PM me with your email and I'll be in touch. 

I just go and do it....try not tell everybody, but if folks find it, it's all good. Some trails last forever, some ya can't ride more than once, just tread lightly and hide your entries. Quiet pipe

• Helpful 1

Just now, Slackkinhard said:

I just go and do it....try not tell everybody, but if folks find it, it's all good. Some trails last forever, some ya can't ride more than once, just tread lightly and hide your entries. Quiet pipe

This thread should move to TS .... low down....

2 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

This thread should move to TS .... low down....

It's never changed....the hikers do it, the bikers, the horseman, anyone out there....and we should. It's our land and we are the users...trails have yet to show they damage anything other than some OCD inflicted human's inner control freak gene. The more widely dispersed the better for everyone. There is a sh'load of space out there and single track trails should be allowed to exist as multi-use trails.  I also believe in certain distinct areas being solely for a group or two that co-habitat well. Just make it easy, make it simple, and I figure the 'fair' will work it's own way out. The way it's managed today is kinda like Mao and his Great Leap...some sort of central control that can't get out of it's own way. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Living in North Bend I am been seriously tempted. They have just opened a crapload of new stuff nearby but its all major climbing involved. I have heard the spandex heads go ape chit when our on trails with an ebike. Makes me want to do it all that much more.
Mountain bikers haven’t worn spandex since the 90’s

Dudes.....I mountain bike a lot and ride moto a little. Actually hit Reiter today and they’re putting in several new trails that look pretty good. I get why the tempers are flaring. All through the 1990’s and even up until about 2010 no new MTB trails were being built. Then the back country bicycle club now called the evergreen mountain bike alliance lobbied to have the DNR and Wa State government list mountain biking as a tourist activity. It’s that action along with Evergreen publicizing kids camps, and Duthie Hill being a major success that changed everything. Two key takeaways here....follow the money. If we could get dirt biking to be realized as a tourist attraction new trail will be built. Secondly if it gets kids outside and you can publicize that more trail! In order to do this Evergreen created an organization that had economic impact studies, a market department, a legal team a fund raising arm and now paid trail builders. I would love to see more moto trails!

• Like 5
  • Helpful 2

Dudes.....I mountain bike a lot and ride moto a little. Actually hit Reiter today and they’re putting in several new trails that look pretty good. I get why the tempers are flaring. All through the 1990’s and even up until about 2010 no new MTB trails were being built. Then the back country bicycle club now called the evergreen mountain bike alliance lobbied to have the DNR and Wa State government list mountain biking as a tourist activity. It’s that action along with Evergreen publicizing kids camps, and Duthie Hill being a major success that changed everything. Two key takeaways here....follow the money. If we could get dirt biking to be realized as a tourist attraction new trail will be built. Secondly if it gets kids outside and you can publicize that more trail! In order to do this Evergreen created an organization that had economic impact studies, a market department, a legal team a fund raising arm and now paid trail builders. I would love to see more moto trails!

Exactly.

I kind of did a drive by posting of this subject because I hadn't seen a similar discussion here before. My purpose was to get this type of conversation going. It sounds like we need to copy/paste the Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance template for our own use. Thanks to all who joined in this round table type of discussion. I will try to do some homework on how/what EMBA does and make inquiries at my local forest service office as to how we can have the same privilege too.

Troy341

• Like 3

14 hours ago, 341 said:

I kind of did a drive by posting of this subject because I hadn't seen a similar discussion here before. My purpose was to get this type of conversation going. It sounds like we need to copy/paste the Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance template for our own use. Thanks to all who joined in this round table type of discussion. I will try to do some homework on how/what EMBA does and make inquiries at my local forest service office as to how we can have the same privilege too.

Troy341

I have been pretty involved with Evergreen through the years, including being on the board.  I'd be happy to share what I know about their history and success with any of you, and/or go for a ride at Raging or Tiger and talk about what they've been doing.

On 9/26/2018 at 5:01 PM, Slackkinhard said:

It's never changed....the hikers do it, the bikers, the horseman, anyone out there....and we should. It's our land and we are the users...trails have yet to show they damage anything other than some OCD inflicted human's inner control freak gene. The more widely dispersed the better for everyone. There is a sh'load of space out there and single track trails should be allowed to exist as multi-use trails.  I also believe in certain distinct areas being solely for a group or two that co-habitat well. Just make it easy, make it simple, and I figure the 'fair' will work it's own way out. The way it's managed today is kinda like Mao and his Great Leap...some sort of central control that can't get out of it's own way. 

I have a Mao meme, I saved it because LMAO!

LMAO.png.b8885f4747913abd6c97720e6c6ac499.png

• Like 1