KX450CARider

california KX450F appropriate trails?

I'm new to riding and just bought a nice 2012 KX450. I seem to like trail riding more than tracks and was wondering if any other 450 riders know of good trails that are not tight, single tracks. I live in Placer County, so Auburn, Foresthill, Oroville, Folsom, etc....will be my go to areas. I went to Georgetown OHV about a month ago and got on trail #9 and it was a disaster. Rocky and very technical. Not good for the 450 and I just left.  I kind of wish that I had done more research and bought an enduro or 250, but hate to scrap it and sell the 450 after only having it for 2 months.  I'm a bigger guy at 6'1 and 230 lbs, so size isn't the issue.  Any help with this would be much appreciated. Thanks, Greg 

Edited by KX450CARider

A KX450 might not be the best bike for a new rider to use as a trail bike.  Select your trails carefully.  You might want to cut your losses and get a more appropriate bike.

Edited by Gflo
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 2

I would agree with the others here by saying that a kx450 isn't a good bike for you to learn on. I would recommend something like a 250 4 stroke trail bike (CRF250x, wr250f). It will be more than enough power for any trail but still mellow for beginners. The KX is just savage raw power, great desert bikes :ride:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KX450CARider said:

I'm new to riding and just bought a nice 2012 KX450. I seem to like trail riding more than tracks and was wondering if any other 450 riders know of good trails that are not tight, single tracks. I live in Placer County, so Auburn, Foresthill, Oroville, Folsom, etc....will be my go to areas. I went to Georgetown OVH about a month ago and got on trail #9 and it was a disaster. Rocky and very technical. Not good for the 450 and I just left.  I kind of wish that I had done more research and bought an enduro or 250, but hate to scrap it and sell the 450 after only having it for 2 months.  Any help with this would be much appreciated. Thanks, Greg 

Try dropping a tooth on the front or going up 4 or 5 in the rear.

• Helpful 1

Nick_Neu22, Good point.....I've heard conflicting views on this, because some will have the 250 for a year or two, then want more power.  Yes, this KX450 is insane fast.  Even though it's my first bike, I can ride it pretty good.  I've taken it to a practice track and have ridden fast through orchards.  I have some desert OVH areas about 2 hours away from me, North of Reno, NV that I want to check out.  I'm probably not going to get rid of the bike right away.   Thanks!

Edited by KX450CARider

you have to keep the bike or your username is wasted.......

All joking aside, 450s can be good trail bikes with a lot of work but they still will not be as easy or sometimes fun to ride as a real enduro bike. That being said I ride a YZ450 with a lot of trail oriented mods and have a lot of fun on it. I can go just about anywhere with it but I definitely get beat up more on the bike then I would if I was on a 2-stroke or 250f. I am just working my weight down and once I get into the 205-210 range I am picking up a 250f. You just have to decide what kind of riding you want to do and pick a bike that suites that purpose. If you go ride desert and decide that is your preferred terrain then keep the 450, if you want to stick with single track and woods riding then seriously consider another bike that fits those needs.  I will say though, there is not much that feels better than ripping WOT in 3rd up a hill climb on a 450. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KX450CARider said:

@NickGood point.....I've heard conflicting views on this, because some will have the 250 for a year or two, then want more power.  Yes, this KX450 is insane fast.  Even though it's my first bike, I can ride it pretty good.  I've taken it to a practice track and have ridden fast through orchards.  I have some desert OVH areas about 2 hours away from me, North of Reno, NV that I want to check out.  I'm probably not going to get rid of the bike right away.   Thanks!

If you are going to mention someone you have to use their screen name exactly...  @Nick is not @Nick_Neu22.  Two totally different people.  @Nick got a notice and has no clue why you mentioned him...  LOL

So you don't wanna get the right bike...  wanna keep your bike...   don't like tight single track... live somewhere near Reno...  problem solved...  you live in or near the desert...  go tear it up.  Enjoy... :cheers:

BTW...  its Off Highway Vehicle... not Off Vehicle Highway.

@tmeyer37Thanks, good points.  I tested an '07 YZ450, before I got the KZ.  It was a race bike like mine and no trail mods.  I did meet a guy yesterday who had a beautiful KTM 690 Enduro and was headed out to the trails.  I think that I would have a lot of fun on the KX with wide trails, but it seems like most of the OVH areas near me have wooded, single track trails.  Did you get the gearing adjusted on your bike?  I've heard that the Rekluse is nice but pricey, but worth it.  I'm told that it can make a 450 a trail beast.

• Like 1

Gear it for 5mph in 1st (about 13/52) and learn balance and clutch control. Get a G2 'throttle tamer' throttle tube to slow down the power delivery.

Clutch control is your friend, learn how to have one finger on the clutch at all times for slipping (increase/descrese power without moving the throttle) or popping (lift the front wheel without down shifting).

I have been riding 450 track bikes for off road since 2001 and I prefer them, accept for no estart, so now I ride 450 dual sports : Beta 430 450FX, etc.

• Like 2

Jeff aka Bolt, My newbie status is apparent, huh?? ;))  My original intent for this post thread was to get suggestions for good 450 trails in my area.  I'll probably end up selling it in a year or so and getting an enduro, but right now I'm just too excited about having a bike and want to ride. This is my first bike and it's really bad ass.  I need to be careful and not kill myself as I'm an older guy at 50 yrs old.  I need to enroll in a dirt riding class asap.  

7 minutes ago, KX450CARider said:

This is my first bike and it's really bad ass.  I need to be careful and not kill myself as I'm an older guy at 50 yrs old.  I need to enroll in a dirt riding class asap.  

A 450 will do that in the blink of an eye if you get back seat on it.

• Like 1

Thanks, THE KRAN.  Great suggestions and I'm sure that I could learn a from your experience.  Yes, the kick start on this bike can be exhausting and my foot gets bruised through the boot.  Fortunately, it starts up after only 2-3 kicks.  I'm going to research the 450 duals for my next one.

BushPig, you are correct.  I'm very cautious right now and throttle shy.  I don't pop wheelies or &%$#@! around at all because, as mentioned, I am a new rider.  

1 hour ago, KX450CARider said:

Jeff aka Bolt, My newbie status is apparent, huh?? ;))  My original intent for this post thread was to get suggestions for good 450 trails in my area.  I'll probably end up selling it in a year or so and getting an enduro, but right now I'm just too excited about having a bike and want to ride. This is my first bike and it's really bad ass.  I need to be careful and not kill myself as I'm an older guy at 50 yrs old.  I need to enroll in a dirt riding class asap.  

You'll be comfortable on it in no time if you stick with it. :cheers:

• Helpful 1

3 hours ago, KX450CARider said:

@tmeyer37Thanks, good points.  I tested an '07 YZ450, before I got the KZ.  It was a race bike like mine and no trail mods.  I did meet a guy yesterday who had a beautiful KTM 690 Enduro and was headed out to the trails.  I think that I would have a lot of fun on the KX with wide trails, but it seems like most of the OVH areas near me have wooded, single track trails.  Did you get the gearing adjusted on your bike?  I've heard that the Rekluse is nice but pricey, but worth it.  I'm told that it can make a 450 a trail beast.

I have is geared at 13f 51r and stock is 13f 49r. I have a Rekluse Zstart pro which makes a huge difference and i definitely worth the money IMHO. I also put an 18 rear wheel on as well as a GYTR heavy flywheel. The other thing you should consider is getting the suspension sprung correctly for you weight for offroad conditions. MX bikes are generally sprung stiff but for a lighter rider but you might be in that sweet spot where stock spring rate is good. You can make the 450s into a really fun trail bike and like I said you can get them to work well on single track. Even though I plan on dropping to a 250f I am still keeping this 450 cuz it is a blast to ride. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KX450CARider said:

trail #9 and it was a disaster. Rocky and very technical. Not good for the 450 and I just left. 

That rocky stuff is an acquired taste. Many ride it on a 450. I did on a KTM 450 for years...

The trails around Sugar Pine staging east of Foresthill are much wider, faster and smoother than Trail 9 at Georgetown. That's the best starter trails in the Sac area.. 

23 minutes ago, DrKayak said:

That rocky stuff is an acquired taste. Many ride it on a 450. I did on a KTM 450 for years...

The trails around Sugar Pine staging east of Foresthill are much wider, faster and smoother than Trail 9 at Georgetown. That's the best starter trails in the Sac area.. 

DrKayak, thanks a lot for that info. Funny that you mention Sugar Pine. I'm waiting for 10 ft ramps to be delivered so I couldn't ride yesterday, but I drove an hour to Sugar Pine. I went just to check it out and see how many big bikes were there. There were some 450s but mostly 250s. I'm looking forward to getting out there on the trails that you've mentioned. Thanks again.

54 minutes ago, tmeyer37 said:

I have is geared at 13f 51r and stock is 13f 49r. I have a Rekluse Zstart pro which makes a huge difference and i definitely worth the money IMHO. I also put an 18 rear wheel on as well as a GYTR heavy flywheel. The other thing you should consider is getting the suspension sprung correctly for you weight for offroad conditions. MX bikes are generally sprung stiff but for a lighter rider but you might be in that sweet spot where stock spring rate is good. You can make the 450s into a really fun trail bike and like I said you can get them to work well on single track. Even though I plan on dropping to a 250f I am still keeping this 450 cuz it is a blast to ride. 

Thanks, tmeyer37. Great info for when I want to make those modifications. Actually the previous owner got an after market spring for it and took the factory one out. He's 6'7 and 250 lbs. I'm 6'1 and 230 lbs. The bike sits a little high for me but very manageable.  For my size, I think that the 450 is perfect. I'm probably too fat for a 250 😂😂😂