Jump to content

2016 500 EXC has too much power

Recommended Posts

Short of selling it for a smaller displacement.  How can I tame this thing down?  I've got a throttle tamer already.  What would it do if I could somehow cork up the intake?   This bike is trying to kill me.

Edited by Aeron Braukman
g2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aeron Braukman said:

Short of selling it for a smaller displacement.  How can I tame this thing down?  I've got a throttle tamer already.  What would it do if I could somehow cork up the intake?   This bike is trying to kill me.

Is the bike stock?  

if so there's a lot of lean spots in the early throttle, imo throttle tamer will just magnify those, especially if running a lot of throttle play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose I never thought of riding a gear high much as with how tall the stock gearing is.  Yes, it's stock except for the G2 and a rekluse clutch.

Edited by Aeron Braukman
rekluse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I thought you were making a joke. Every other post is about how to get more power from this already insane bike. I have just spent some coin on making it smooth. Euro map, tps adjustment and FMF 4.1. It took the twitch out and seems to make for an even power delivery. Good luck taming the beast!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chad Harlan said:

Sorry, I thought you were making a joke. Every other post is about how to get more power from this already insane bike. I have just spent some coin on making it smooth. Euro map, tps adjustment and FMF 4.1. It took the twitch out and seems to make for an even power delivery. Good luck taming the beast!

It's all good.  I expected to hear from some who would think it silly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I should look into smoothing the power delivery and then just get some more experience. A la squeeze with legs and control the throttle.  Thanks for the tips.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure the throttle is correctly adjusted. Ride easy trails like fire roads till you can feel confident and you can start to play around a little bit. Ride a gear high as mentioned above and after awhile you’ll find the bike can be very predictable. You can also put a worn out back tire on so if you hit the throttle too much the tire won’t grab like a fresh tire would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Aeron Braukman said:

I suppose I never thought of riding a gear high much as with how tall the stock gearing is.  Yes, it's stock except for the G2 and a rekluse clutch.

I was going to suggest a Rekluse, but you've done that already.

Short of the other things, the advice about getting on and riding is actually good advice, albeit scary for sure.

Out of curiosity, is this your first dirt bike?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gear it properly, 14/50 is what I ran for 5k miles on my 500exc. From my experience, It will make it a gentle giant by allowing you to ride in one or two gears higher but have torque to get through what you need to. It made much easier and less exhausting to ride then my 350exc, which I ended up selling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, thank you all for so much advice.

10 hours ago, vizcarmb said:

heavier flywheel weight

I would be very interested in a flywheel.  Is there one available?  Last time I looked I didn't find one for this model.

10 hours ago, DirtDog43 said:

Make sure the throttle is correctly adjusted. Ride easy trails like fire roads till you can feel confident and you can start to play around a little bit. Ride a gear high as mentioned above and after awhile you’ll find the bike can be very predictable. You can also put a worn out back tire on so if you hit the throttle too much the tire won’t grab like a fresh tire would.

You have reminded me, there is a lot of play in the throttle since I installed the G2.  At first I thought the dead space at the beginning of travel would make it harder to get too deep into it.  Now, I think it makes precise control more difficult.  To your other suggestion, I like the idea of reduced traction in some situations.

10 hours ago, PTECH said:

You can try heavier springs and lighter wedges in your Rekluse

Will this make is slip more?  Will it still hook up solid at some point?  I still use the clutch quite a bit and I rely on the Rekluse to give my left hand a break when putting around.

3 hours ago, kimberley rider said:

Learn throttle control. Turn the throttle like a door knob twist your forearm .don't bend at the wrist

I read this somewhere a couple years ago here on TT when I first got this bike.  I have to continuously focus on this or else I get lazy and sit back.  I guess more riding time will help cement the practice and condition the muscles.

2 hours ago, cadman_ks said:

I was going to suggest a Rekluse, but you've done that already.

Short of the other things, the advice about getting on and riding is actually good advice, albeit scary for sure.

Out of curiosity, is this your first dirt bike?

Yes, this is my first dirt bike.  I feel like I may have chosen a steep learning curve.  I can do alright with the bike if I stay vigilant.  When I let my guard down is when things go sideways.  I feel like I'm worrying more and having fun less sometimes.

2 hours ago, Pipester said:

Post this problem over in the Beta thread!

What would happen?  I sure like some of those Betas

31 minutes ago, johnrunner89 said:

Gear it properly, 14/50 is what I ran for 5k miles on my 500exc. From my experience, It will make it a gentle giant by allowing you to ride in one or two gears higher but have torque to get through what you need to. It made much easier and less exhausting to ride then my 350exc, which I ended up selling. 

This is really encouraging to hear.  The 350 exc is one of the bikes that I was considering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Aeron Braukman said:

Short of selling it for a smaller displacement.  How can I tame this thing down?  I've got a throttle tamer already.  What would it do if I could somehow cork up the intake?   This bike is trying to kill me.

This might seem odd, what about getting a Vortex and using the traction setting? Or the timing adjustment? I found the bike much easier to deal with in that map. Very tractable power. I also found that when I fixed the gearing I could lug 3rd and 2nd a lot better with Vortex without killing it (flameout). Something to think about? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is alot of bike for the first timer who suggested the 500. I'm sure you will get there but more confidences means crashing and you are going to crash. Crashing can intimate people differently. Depends on the type of riding you plan to do. Maybe a 250 would have been a better start. The rider really makes the bike from what Ive seen over 25+ years. The ktm sure can help that you  picked the right model so good luck don't ride over your head it will come. congrats!😀

Edited by allout48

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×