1990 XR200 Rebuild

Hi, I am in the process of assembling a 1990 Honda XR200. I just fit the two crankcase halves back together and noticed where the cylinder block sits one half of the crankcase sits about .004mm lower than the other half. I placed the block down and u can rock it from left to right. Should I resurface it?

Sounds kinda sketchy. Did/do you have the dowel pins in there? Maybe a set of cases that aren't a matched set?

Yeah, I guess I better pull it apart and see what I can do. Can I re-use gasket u think?

The center case gasket? If you never finished putting the engine all back together, and it never got hot (running) I'd go ahead and use it myself. Wonder what Chuck thinks?

just loosen all the case screws and see if you can tweak it from there

You shouldn't be able to tweak case alignment when the dowels are in place and fit the cases correctly......................no movement at all.:excuseme:

Old School Al

2 hours ago, Old School Al said:

You shouldn't be able to tweak case alignment when the dowels are in place and fit the cases correctly......................no movement at all.:excuseme:

Old School Al

Yup. That's exactly what the dowel pins are for. I checked one of the parts houses and they list (and sell, apparently) the left and right cases separately, so evidently Honda has their manufacturing tolerances close enough so that the cases don't have to be a matched set.

I took it back apart...one of the dowels is in bad shape. I was able to adjust it a bit...problem solved 👍

Just thinking out loud here... 

I'd replace the dowels. I know it's not like it's a 450 torque monster, but I would worry about the cases shifting over time with material expansion from heat and putting an angular load on the bearings. Overcautious I know, but it's cheap insurance for a few bucks. 

18 minutes ago, Andyru said:

Anyone know the torque spec for the crankcase? I guessed the first time...my repair manual doesn't say.

no it just says tighten them in  criss-cross pattern in 2-3 steps

do you have an impact driver ?

29 minutes ago, Andyru said:

Anyone know the torque spec for the crankcase? I guessed the first time...my repair manual doesn't say.

Most of this is available online as generic specs. Standard for an M6 bolt is 48-96 inch pounds or 4-8 foot pounds depending on material and dry vs. lubed. Obviously, some special location bolts might vary depending on manufacturer specs, but this is a handy go to if you don't have access to the spec.  

METRIC.jpg

31 minutes ago, Andyru said:

Probably 9 ft./lbs. Standard torque for a 6mm screw. I just snug mine down with a T-handle. Put some moly paste/grease on em and when you go to pull em out next time they'll come right out. Won't come loose either. Don't over torque em. If you lube the screws torque em to the bottom of their range. And back and forth like SOANZ said.

Something to add to the torque stuff.

Say for instance you're working on your 2017 bike that has never been apart, bolts should torque no problem.

Now if you're working on a 28 year old XR200 (I have the same bike) that has been apart a few times, stick to the lower torque values that are provided since the threads in the aluminum are not going to be in as good of condition / fatigued after being apart a few times as one that's only been reassembled once. 

I speak the truth! I have a M6x1.0 Helicoil kit that has seen it's fair share of use. :smirk::smirk: