KTM 520 exc piston

You might want to post your pictures and questions on the www.ktmtalk.com site.
They have several very knowledgable engine builders commonly watching/posting and they commonly provide excellent feedback. Thumpertalk is a good site, but not filled with professionals to really help.

Looks to me that your piston is usable BUT the crank/crank bearings/connecting rod maybe damaged (need to be checked) due to the collision with the head/valves.

Best of luck!

• Helpful 1

Obviously, you need at least one new valve and head work.  Personally, I'd do all four since you've got things apart and to a machine shop.

The damage to the piston is done, don't run that piston any more.  It's going to fail sooner rather than later.  Again, engine's apart already, might as well put a new piston in there and know it's good.

Figure out why the timing jumped, and fix that before you put anything back together.

2 hours ago, SnowMule said:

Obviously, you need at least one new valve and head work.  Personally, I'd do all four since you've got things apart and to a machine shop.

The damage to the piston is done, don't run that piston any more.  It's going to fail sooner rather than later.  Again, engine's apart already, might as well put a new piston in there and know it's good.

Figure out why the timing jumped, and fix that before you put anything back together.

Timing looked ok. Other valve didnt broke but valvespringholder broke. I drived high speed at road (150km/h) after 5 minutes after that this happened. Could that cause this failure?