All New 2019 Yamaha WR450F Announced

Just now, GHILL28 said:

I'd sure as hell rather use one than have to bump start a car if I didn't have to.

I've never used the kickstarter on my FX, except when I've had to loan out the battery.  I bought the bike because of the button, but that doesn't mean I blindly trust its operation.

There getting pretty good now as you see. Other than poor maintenance and the like. Hopefully the newer lithium batteries have a little warning when to replace them.   

1 minute ago, StevetheSnake said:

There getting pretty good now as you see. Other than poor maintenance and the like. Hopefully the newer lithium batteries have a little warning when to replace them.   

The Yamaha's sure are.  No idea about the Hondas.  The KTM starters for a while were total shit.  The new KTM/Husky bikes don't keep the batteries charged very well, or are somehow prone to parasitic shorts/drains somewhere in the electrical. 

I always see KTM guys futzing with the batteries and having to charge theirs constantly between rides or in the staging areas (including aftermarket batteries).  I've never had to charge it on my FX.  Ever.  Something different in the electrical systems.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GHILL28 said:

The Yamaha's sure are.  No idea about the Hondas.  The KTM starters for a while were total shit.  The new KTM/Husky bikes don't keep the batteries charged very well, or are somehow prone to parasitic shorts/drains somewhere in the electrical. 

I always see KTM guys futzing with the batteries and having to charge theirs constantly between rides or in the staging areas (including aftermarket batteries).  I've never had to charge it on my FX.  Ever.  Something different in the electrical systems.

The 17’ & 18’ KTM 500’s so far are bullet proof of the 15 or more that I know of. No issues they charge, hold their charge and start. I think it was earlier T2’s and older 530’s that had issues. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StevetheSnake said:

The 17’ & 18’ KTM 500’s so far are bullet proof of the 15 or more that I know of. No issues they charge, hold their charge and start. I think it was earlier T2’s and older 530’s that had issues. 

Seen this a LOT on the 16+ Husky 501's especially.  Now that I think about the specifics, I've seen it on one KTM 500 and a bunch of KTM 350's.

I need to post a correction. It looks from the text like the kickstarter is an optional add on. I guess you'd need a new side case? I had assumed it was not an option at all from the looks of the right side case.

Knowing that, this bike becomes more of an option, as long as someone can make a 3G tank for it. Now to see what the key differences are to the FX...

• Like 1

I'm a fan of backup starting systems.  I know they're not considered Thumpers, but 4 wheelers are also meant for off road/remote use and have followed a similar path.  My 1987 Honda Fourtrax 350 four wheeler has a backup kick starter located behind one of the side panels.  My 1992 Honda Foreman 400 had a back up rope start (used both on numerous occasions) and my 2014 Honda 420 Rancher has no backup starter at all. Given the choice, I'd rather have one than not.  Chances of having a flat tire on my truck are pretty slim, but I drive a lot easier knowing that I have a spare!!!!  At 60 years old, I sure do appreciate the electric start on my XR650L.  Beats the tar out of kick starting my CRF250R.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cmbthumper said:

As already said, too bad it is not a Street Legal one. Finding a plated one is a beech.

I found an out of state plated 14 and managed to keep the plate when I registered it here. If the new ones are red sticker it might not be as easy though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, toten said:

I found an out of state plated 14 and managed to keep the plate when I registered it here. If the new ones are red sticker it might not be as easy though.

I did find one that was a 13' and one was a 17' while searching at work. By the time i called when i got home they were gone. Haven't seen any in a few weeks but will be taking along lunch break next time from my lesson learned. Bunch of 05-07' Honda X's but haven't looked if they are any good.

19 hours ago, GHILL28 said:

Bothered enough to type that for no reason. 

You also obviously don't ride somewhere that's long enough or tough enough to wear out a battery and find yourself SOL somewhere.  The battery on my 16 450FX has been loaned out to KTM riders a number of times on the trail who had dead batteries and no kicker and no way to kickstart (poor location, or running a Rekluse).  I was hoping the new WR would still have cases that could take a kickstarter that could be swapped to the new FX, but no such luck.

42 minutes ago, reinigef said:

I've bump started cars, trucks and bikes. Can you bump start a Rekluse? I don't know and I would like to know. My little brother wants a Rekluse. I see Kawasaki coming out with the next street legal 450...

Yes you can bump start a Rekluse clutch.  You just adjust the slave cylinder (or clutch cable), bump start it, and put the adjustment back to where it was.  

That being said, a kickstarter would be easier...but I’ve had those fail too. 

Edited by G.P.

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to All New 2019 Yamaha WR450F Announced