Mitchell B

dr650 dies when given throttle

I have a 2001 dr650 that dies whenever I give it a little gas.  The bike has a procycle jet kit, along with the modified air box and a DG muffler.  The bike ran fine until I drilled the slide and slightly clipped the spring (conservatively on both).  After re-assembling, it will start fine and idle fine until I give it gas.  I checked to make sure the small o-ring for the vacuum line was still there and it is.  I've took the carb apart and put it back together a few times now looking for anything but it all seems clean and in good shape.  I have also checked the small fuel filter and it is clear.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Edited by Mitchell B

You know the solution. Epoxy up the holes in the slide and get a new spring. When you crack the throttle the slide is lifting so fast it's going momentarily very rich and killing the engine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nobade said:

You know the solution. Epoxy up the holes in the slide and get a new spring. When you crack the throttle the slide is lifting so fast it's going momentarily very rich and killing the engine.

I was hoping this was not the case but you may be right.  The only thing that makes me think otherwise is that it does the same thing even if i open the throttle as slowly as possible.  It will slowly climb rpm until maybe 2500 rpm (by ear tachometer.... reliable right)  then it will sputter and try to die until I let off.  I can fill the hole later tonight and see how it does I guess.  

I did the same thing to mine and it works flawlessly, got the idea from adventure oz. make sure the petcock vacuum is hooked up, or capped off and than make sure your choke isn’t sticking.

2 minutes ago, yz400fmaniac said:

I did the same thing to mine and it works flawlessly, got the idea from adventure oz. make sure the petcock vacuum is hooked up, or capped off and than make sure your choke isn’t sticking.

The petcock vacuum is hooked up.  Your mentioning of the choke got me thinking.  The choke fitting (plastic crappy one) is a little stripped out.  Could this lead to the choke being partially engaged due to a bad seal? I already have a metal fitting on the way.  If that is possible then it is probably the issue.

Have you checked the float height? My 350 would start perfectly and idle, but would sputter and choke out with any throttle.

The culprit ended up being that the float tab got a bit tweaked.

1 minute ago, Foil said:

Have you checked the float height? My 350 would start perfectly and idle, but would sputter and choke out with any throttle.

The culprit ended up being that the float tab got a bit tweaked.

I have not checked the float height, in fact I know I should have, but I completely forgot to.  I'll check that later today, as I won't be home until around 4:30.  I guess if the float height adjustment and new choke fitting don't solve it then my next solution might just be plugging the hole and getting a new spring as suggested earlier.  I'll update the thread with results once these suggestions are tried.

The petcock vacuum is hooked up.  Your mentioning of the choke got me thinking.  The choke fitting (plastic crappy one) is a little stripped out.  Could this lead to the choke being partially engaged due to a bad seal? I already have a metal fitting on the way.  If that is possible then it is probably the issue.

Yea it’s possible that the choke is partially activated and in turn the bike is rich and when you blip the throttle it just floods out.

Update: It is back up and running.  I installed the new choke fitting to replace the crappy plastic one.  I think the problem was a combo of the choke being partially activated even when I had it turned off, and a possible bad seal from the carb to the air inlet on the engine side.  After finding and fixing these issues it runs fine.

• Like 2