Mitchell B

dr650 dies when given throttle

I have a 2001 dr650 that dies whenever I give it a little gas.  The bike has a procycle jet kit, along with the modified air box and a DG muffler.  The bike ran fine until I drilled the slide and slightly clipped the spring (conservatively on both).  After re-assembling, it will start fine and idle fine until I give it gas.  I checked to make sure the small o-ring for the vacuum line was still there and it is.  I've took the carb apart and put it back together a few times now looking for anything but it all seems clean and in good shape.  I have also checked the small fuel filter and it is clear.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Edited by Mitchell B

You know the solution. Epoxy up the holes in the slide and get a new spring. When you crack the throttle the slide is lifting so fast it's going momentarily very rich and killing the engine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nobade said:

You know the solution. Epoxy up the holes in the slide and get a new spring. When you crack the throttle the slide is lifting so fast it's going momentarily very rich and killing the engine.

I was hoping this was not the case but you may be right.  The only thing that makes me think otherwise is that it does the same thing even if i open the throttle as slowly as possible.  It will slowly climb rpm until maybe 2500 rpm (by ear tachometer.... reliable right)  then it will sputter and try to die until I let off.  I can fill the hole later tonight and see how it does I guess.  

I did the same thing to mine and it works flawlessly, got the idea from adventure oz. make sure the petcock vacuum is hooked up, or capped off and than make sure your choke isn’t sticking.

2 minutes ago, yz400fmaniac said:

I did the same thing to mine and it works flawlessly, got the idea from adventure oz. make sure the petcock vacuum is hooked up, or capped off and than make sure your choke isn’t sticking.

The petcock vacuum is hooked up.  Your mentioning of the choke got me thinking.  The choke fitting (plastic crappy one) is a little stripped out.  Could this lead to the choke being partially engaged due to a bad seal? I already have a metal fitting on the way.  If that is possible then it is probably the issue.

Have you checked the float height? My 350 would start perfectly and idle, but would sputter and choke out with any throttle.

The culprit ended up being that the float tab got a bit tweaked.

1 minute ago, Foil said:

Have you checked the float height? My 350 would start perfectly and idle, but would sputter and choke out with any throttle.

The culprit ended up being that the float tab got a bit tweaked.

I have not checked the float height, in fact I know I should have, but I completely forgot to.  I'll check that later today, as I won't be home until around 4:30.  I guess if the float height adjustment and new choke fitting don't solve it then my next solution might just be plugging the hole and getting a new spring as suggested earlier.  I'll update the thread with results once these suggestions are tried.

The petcock vacuum is hooked up.  Your mentioning of the choke got me thinking.  The choke fitting (plastic crappy one) is a little stripped out.  Could this lead to the choke being partially engaged due to a bad seal? I already have a metal fitting on the way.  If that is possible then it is probably the issue.

Yea it’s possible that the choke is partially activated and in turn the bike is rich and when you blip the throttle it just floods out.

Update: It is back up and running.  I installed the new choke fitting to replace the crappy plastic one.  I think the problem was a combo of the choke being partially activated even when I had it turned off, and a possible bad seal from the carb to the air inlet on the engine side.  After finding and fixing these issues it runs fine.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

• Similar Content

• By Epolz9
      Selling my 2015 Honda CRF250L
      Trans American Trail and BDR ready.  
      She has been a great bike.  Used on the Trans American Trail and Colorado BDR.  She has 6660 miles used on the TAT and Colorado BDR. Bike comes the following upgrades which I'm willing to sell separately: 

Dirt Tracks Sides and Rear Rack (Rotopax ready for any rack)
      2 Gallon Rotopax with Rotopax mount
      Moose Synthetic Skid Plate
      Barkbuster Hand Guards
      Big Ride Supply Co. Side bags (5 gal capacity each)
      Will throw in the waterproof tail bag.  
      Flatland Radiator guard

Oil changed regularly and air filter kept clean.  Garaged in winters 

Reason for selling: Purchased a more woods single track style bike
      This is a great solid go anywhere bike that is set up to run the TAT or BDR right now. 
      You can even fly and ride. I’ll pick you up in Detroit or Cleveland and you can ride her home 

Asking $4000 with all the listed gear and stock mirrors.  
      $3800 stock 
    • By Big64N
      Good condition with a long list of high end upgrade parts.
      Rekluse EXP 3.0 with cover and slave
      EVO- Ellensburg suspension tuning for 6' 200# expert rider
      Fork bleeders
      Trail-tech map switch
      Moose 1-1/8 flex bar
      CYCRA probend bar guards
      SXS skid plate with linkage plate
      Clutch and water pump guards
      Frame guards
      Fastway Evolution III pegs
      SRT Pro Armor radiator and rear rotor guards
      Acerbic Front rotor guard
      TM designs chain guides
      DID race chain
      Renthal sprockets
      Gripper seat
      FMF F-bomb header
      Dirt Tricks timing chain tensioner
      Pro Wheel, wheels
      Tubliss front and rear
      New top end and valve adjustment 60 hours old
      Many more aftermarket parts as well as spare parts and service manuals included in the sale.  Willing to include 4 sets of tires with 80% tread left for full price.
      Great bike with plenty of life left and set up for anything from single track woods to wide open dessert.
      Can hang with any of the 450's but is much easier to handle in the tight woods.
      Priced to sell at $6000.00 
      Willing to consider reasonable offers but no trades or carry.
    • By J.P.C.
      2014 New Edition KLR650
      Ridden mostly on-road commuting to work.

5900 miles (will increase as I am still riding it)
      Thermo bob 2
      EM Doo hickey & torsion spring
      JNS skid plate
      SW Motech crash bars
      SW Motech center stand
      Moose luggage racks
      Pelican 1550 cases with Caribou case liners
      MadStad windscreen
      LeoVince exhaust
      Pro taper evo handlebars 
      Uni air filter
      Touratech headlight guard 
      HTP master cylinder guard
      New Bridgestone Trail Wing tires
      LED dash lights
      Aprilia mirrors
      Top gun 7.4kg rear shock spring
      Jetted for 8000 ft altitude (140 main)

Extra Parts included:
      Stock Exhaust
      Stock Tires (only approx 200 miles on these before I changed them)
      Stock Windscreen
      Stock Hand guards
      Stock Skid plate
      Stock Mirrors
      16t sprocket
      Stock Rear shock spring
      Carb jets: 138, 142.5, 145

Bike has been taken care of. Only damage is 2 small scratches on tank from leaning against it with belt buckle. Has been stored outside, but covered.
    • By PaulKTM
      Low hours (111Hrs) well kept bike. Ready to ride!
      A great trail bike, with some small changes it would be a great super moto or street/trail bike also.

Valves checked and as always in spec.
      .46 front springs, 7.6 rear (for 190lbs trail rider, this is one step stiffer over stock, OEM springs included)
      Rekluse 3.0 Core clutch
      HD tubes front and rear
      BRP bark busters and shields
      Bullet Proof billet radiator guards
      EE Skid plate
      EE Rear disk guard
      Fuel tank sock
      TM design chain guard
      Golan super mini fuel filter
      Hammerhead billet shifter
      Sicass 40/45W H4 bulb headlight
      New chain/sprockets (~30 hrs on it)
      Shori lithium battery (~ 1 year old)
      KTM hard parts billet 3X clamps, 22 offset
      New rear bearings/seals/spacers (OEM)
      New Heim bearing
      New SKF fork seals
      You can save $700 if you want me to pull out the Rekluse and put the OEM clutch back in and remove the Scott's.
      and the really cool KTM brief case!

I will work with you on shipping the bike but it would be best to meet face to face.

3.4 gal oversize tank included also (Not pictured)

All offers considered!
    • By TheBavarian
      Suzuki RMX250 two-stroke in excellent shape. Full bike overhaul 4.5 hrs ago. All work was done precisely to factory specs. Got receipts for everything.
      Rebuilt topend with new Wiseco Pro-Lite piston, rings, wristpin and wristpin bearing. Cometic gasket kit.
      New SKF wheel bearings and OEM seals front and rear
      Rebuilt Keihin PJ38 carburetor, jetted correctly
      New Twin air filter
      Silencer repacked with premier FMF packing
      Linkage fully serviced
      Swingarm bearings and bushing fully serviced
      Clutch, kickstarter and power valve serviced
      New OEM lower shock bearing
      front and rear brakes serviced
      Bike has:
      FMF Fatty pipe and FMF Turbinecore silencer
      Fly Racing Fat bars with Tusk bar risers
      oversized foot pegs
      Highline Recreation rear Tugger lift strap
      I also installed new Tusk D-Flex hand guards, Moose Racing pipe guard and Ricochet skid plate.
      Tires in great condition: Bridgestone M59 on the front, MotoZ Mountain Hybrid rear.
      Bike starts on first kick, idles and runs perfectly. 100% ready to ride.
      I was planning to build and keep this bike long term but now need to sell it.
      Also comes with full spare set of NSK wheel bearings, UNI air filter, owner's manual and other spare parts.
      Located in Seattle Lake City.
      Any questions, please text, call or email. (seven 34 - two 77 - 5742)
      Thanks