Can I Plate a Used 2017 500 RRS from another State in CA?

Looking to buy a used Beta 2017 500 RRS from outside California.  Can I plate (Register with CA DMV) the bike in CA?  If so what is the best way?  Don't have the money to put down for a new bike from a Dealer in CA.  Any help or sugguestions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Looking to buy a used Beta 2017 500 RRS from outside California.  Can I plate (Register with CA DMV) the bike in CA?  If so what is the best way?  Don't have the money to put down for a new bike from a Dealer in CA.  Any help or sugguestions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

The 500 RR-S is a 50 state street legal bike HOWEVER, there is a slight modification to the California version. Unless the bike has over 7500 miles you cannot bring it in. The bike must have an emissions sticker that looks like this one in order to bring it in with less than 7500 miles. Note how it specifically states EPA and CALIFORNIA regulations. The 49 state bikes only mention EPA regulations. To confirm that the out of state bike doesnt include the California on the sticker then have the owner take a picture of this sticker which is located on the front of the frame where the header meets the engine. 20180918_065702.thumb.jpeg.5adbf40e3f14c036e16e78ed8282b551.jpeg

• Like 1

The 49 state bikes have a sticker like the one below and only mention the EPA. received_337881566774559.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ADVLite said:

The 49 state bikes have a sticker like the one below and only mention the EPA. received_337881566774559.jpeg

Thanks for the reply and information!

• Like 1

I've been through this several times in The Peoples Republik of California, prior to my escape to rural Texas a few months ago.   I would go to the nearest DMV and have several prepared questions to ask the DMV staffer who inspects out-of-state vehicles re what you need.  The gist of the questions may be found in the very wise responses above to your initial question.    If the emissions sticker has "California and Federal emissions compliance", you should be good to go.  If a bike does not have the word "California" in the compliance statement, you will need to have not less than 7500 miles on the odometer, as noted above.  Then, it is classified as a "used vehicle" and is not subject to CA emissions certification.  

Notwithstanding the above, I would ask the questions at the DMV and log the date, time and name of inspector.  Do I sound paranoid?  You bet I am.  Also, be sure the bike has a sticker indicating that it complies with federal safety standards.  I got caught on that once.  Remember, Kalifornia does not want you to have a motor vehicle, especially one from another state.  Accept that premise and be forewarned.  

For the 7500 miles, some desperadoes have been known to buy a used speedo/odo with adequate miles from E-bay!  Imagine that!  On one of my import (from KY) Guzzis, the sticker was mounted on the tank at the factory.  Borrowing a tank with the correct sticker as to language and year did occur to me.  Not that I would ever do that.  Just sayin'.

Ralph

• Like 1

I had no problem registering an out of state XT350 with 600 miles in ca

Edited by Shackleton

Shackleton; in that case I must assume the XT had a "federal and California" emissions compliance sticker. The XT-350 series Yamahas now are pretty ancient (albeit wonderful bikes!).  There may be a CA policy for older than so many years vehicles.  Believe me, there are no fiends in Hell like the CA emissions Nazis.  Been there several times, never came away without a lot of maneuvering and time spent.   

Ralph

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, krglorioso said:

Shackleton; in that case I must assume the XT had a "federal and California" emissions compliance sticker. The XT-350 series Yamahas now are pretty ancient (albeit wonderful bikes!).  There may be a CA policy for older than so many years vehicles.  Believe me, there are no fiends in Hell like the CA emissions Nazis.  Been there several times, never came away without a lot of maneuvering and time spent.   

Ralph

I think it was due to the size of the bike, Its not a CA model which has the canister and sealed gas cap. I thought they were going to give me a hard time but didnt. 

There was a OP here a while back that suffered bringing a Beta 480/500rs from I think Arizona with no sticker. I believe it was a no-joy situation.
Newer bikes suffer more than vintage bikes.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bermudacat said:

Does Beta USA sell the sticker? :D

That would be nice and too easy!! But will check.

13 minutes ago, Project57 said:

That would be nice and too easy!! But will check.

Still would need an out of State address?

Just now, Project57 said:

Still would need an out of State address?

Why? You NEED an in state address for sure but the seller is the out of state party

Here is what I have experienced with out of state plated bike that are not very old: 

1.  The EPA / DOT 50 state sticker is the fastest and easiest route to getting a CA plate
  2. There are 'registration services' that will plate your bike for you, without the sticker. These are firms that do trophy trucks and custom motorcycles. They  have a 'friend' at the DMV that sign and stamp the 243-a exemption form. There is usually a high fee associtate with this ' service'.  Almost all are in San Diego.
  3. The DMV says that if the bike is 7500 miles plus, you can transfer to a CA plate no questions asked. I have found this NOT to be true. Others have had no problems.
  4.  Getting a PO box with forwarding service in AZ costs about $200 a year.   That is one way, but sometimes you must be present in AZ to make the transfer. It has gone both ways for me.
  5. South Dakota will plate ANYTHING without an inspection, and without a SD address. I have done a couple bikes this way. You fill out a form, they call for your CC info, and you get a plate in a week, a new pink in three weeks.  If you don't use the bike for regular off road, it might be the way to go. The law for 2019 says that you will be ticketed by a Ranger from now on, as they have been ignoring this  out of state plating issue up till now.
  6. A friend with an AZ address. Unfortunately, the above statement might not make this work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

Here is what I have experienced with out of state plated bike that are not very old: 

1.  The EPA / DOT 50 state sticker is the fastest and easiest route to getting a CA plate
  2. There are 'registration services' that will plate your bike for you, without the sticker. These are firms that do trophy trucks and custom motorcycles. They  have a 'friend' at the DMV that sign and stamp the 243-a exemption form. There is usually a high fee associtate with this ' service'.  Almost all are in San Diego.
  3. The DMV says that if the bike is 7500 miles plus, you can transfer to a CA plate no questions asked. I have found this NOT to be true. Others have had no problems.
  4.  Getting a PO box with forwarding service in AZ costs about $200 a year.   That is one way, but sometimes you must be present in AZ to make the transfer. It has gone both ways for me.
  5. South Dakota will plate ANYTHING without an inspection, and without a SD address. I have done a couple bikes this way. You fill out a form, they call for your CC info, and you get a plate in a week, a new pink in three weeks.  If you don't use the bike for regular off road, it might be the way to go. The law for 2019 says that you will be ticketed by a Ranger from now on, as they have been ignoring this  out of state plating issue up till now.
  6. A friend with an AZ address. Unfortunately, the above statement might not make this work.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Good knowledge.

Thanks Again!!

Why is it even a question, its got Ca compliance right on the sticker!