pete11

Best spin bikes?

I’m interested in getting a spin bike, does anyone have any recommendations of what brand or type or even price I should be looking at? 

Great question!  I would strongly recommend that you look at a unit known as a stationary trainer that you can put your road or mountain bike on.  This way you can train outdoors during the week and the use it at the track as a warm up tool.  A couple of simple units are made by Kinetic or Cycle-Ops (there are more than these two).  This provides you more options.  

If you are looking for something only from home, look at systems like Zwift and the Wahoo system integration.  The reason why I recommend these is because you can dial the bicycle in to fit you optimally and get more out of your workouts without risking pulling or straining a tendon, muscle or tendon.  

Once you get your set up please hit me up via email at Contact@CoachRobb.com and I will send you some bike workouts that you can implement to improve your speed, strength and endurance using the bicycle. 

Yours in sport and health,

-Coach Robb 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input Rob, I really don’t have a good road bike now, so that’s why I was looking for a spin bike. Just something else to mix it up with my concept 2 rower.

• Helpful 1

6 minutes ago, pete11 said:

Thanks for the input Rob, I really don’t have a good road bike now, so that’s why I was looking for a spin bike. Just something else to mix it up with my concept 2 rower.

Definitely look for some used bikes.  You can pick up a mac daddy bike for a really good price.  Go to your local bike shop where they sell high end bikes, they usually take in bikes that are in great shape but someone wants the latest color or gadget.  The bike shop can make sure that the bike fits your correctly.   I have had clients pick up $5000 bike for less than $1000 (not that you have to go this price point).  Please keep me posted.

-Coach Robb 

• Like 1

I bought a Wahoo KickR wheel off trainer that connects online so I can "virtually" ride with others, friends or not on Zwift. As close to the real ride as you can get, with a screen to follow and interaction too.

Otherwise, get the Peloton bike, which also links up to online classes and group rides, which is very motivating. You can fined them used on Ebay for around $1500 plus membership (about $20/mo)

I bought a Wahoo KickR wheel off trainer that connects online so I can "virtually" ride with others, friends or not on Zwift. As close to the real ride as you can get, with a screen to follow and interaction too.
Otherwise, get the Peloton bike, which also links up to online classes and group rides, which is very motivating. You can fined them used on Ebay for around $1500 plus membership (about $20/mo)

Membership for Peloton is $39 a month.

I have Keiser M3 spin bikes in my facility. They are a little more expensive, but not many moving parts to wear out. Find a used one.

Another vote for a stationary trainer and pedal bike. I don't have a fancy trainer that connects to Zwift, but I still get by (there are ways to bypass that, by simply getting a speed meter).

The second benefit to this is that road bikes are awesome and during the summer time you can go explore with whatever one you choose. Something you can't do with a spin bike.