Has anyone else noticed this in the bottom of a new oil container? 

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

Edited by Shackleton

It's not unreasonable to think that some additives can settle out after time. 

• Like 3

It’s just the first time I have noticed it. Done all my oil changes on vehicles for 35 or so years.

12 hours ago, jaguar57 said:

Indeed, additives are not dissolved in oil, but they are in suspension. In time a separation can occur.

@Shackleton Was that oil stored in your garage for long?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I used Golden Spectro brand oil for years and it did that but worse.  I never did any research to figure out what it was but figured it was an additive of some kind that was falling out over time.  What's interesting is I have seen that with motorcycle specific oils, but I have never noticed it with oils targeted at cars/trucks.  So I'm guessing it must be some motorcycle specific additive?  

Edited by sirthumpalot
  • Like 1

Indeed, additives are not dissolved in oil, but they are in suspension. In time a separation can occur.
[mention=406460]Shackleton[/mention] Was that oil stored in your garage for long?

About a 2 weeks

I used Golden Spectro brand oil for years and it did that but worse.  I never did any research to figure out what it was but figured it was an additive of some kind that was falling out over time.  What's interesting is I have seen that with motorcycle specific oils, but I have never noticed it with oils targeted at cars/trucks.  So I'm guessing it must be some motorcycle specific additive?  

Yep never noticed in car oil either.

4 minutes ago, Shackleton said:

About a 2 weeks

Then any indication about the fabrication date? It should be written on the bottle. It should tell you for how long the oil has been stored.

25 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Then any indication about the fabrication date? It should be written on the bottle. It should tell you for how long the oil has been stored.

Well it was also noticeable in the Castrol 20-50 mineral version too The white bottles 

IMG_2228.JPG

catrol2050.jpeg

Great oil.... been using 20-50 castrol gtx for 30 plus years ..... it has many proprietary additives made by Huntsman.

Bought synthetic oil at Checker Auto parts 15 years ago. When I got home I noticed the new oil was darker than expected so I checked to see if the seal was good on the other bottles. The seal was broken on all the bottles. I brought it back and they refunded my money. Now they use tin foil on top of the bottles; don't know if this can be faked.

3 hours ago, Deb Tatum said:

Bought synthetic oil at Checker Auto parts 15 years ago. When I got home I noticed the new oil was darker than expected so I checked to see if the seal was good on the other bottles. The seal was broken on all the bottles. I brought it back and they refunded my money. Now they use tin foil on top of the bottles; don't know if this can be faked.

The oil is not overly dark or cloudy, if you know Castrol at all its a dark oil compared to most. Use it in my BMW 330 just because they recommend it 5-30 synth and its rather dark. 

I've never had an oil related problem due to using Castrol brand. I sincerely challenge OP or anyone else to show me scientific proof that Castrol caused a otherwise mechanically sound motor to let go prematurely.

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

I've never had an oil related problem due to using Castrol brand. I sincerely challenge OP or anyone else to show me scientific proof that Castrol caused a otherwise mechanically sound motor to let go prematurely.

Who said anything of the sort? The post is about deposits in new oil, not about it being inferior! Geez!

1 hour ago, Shackleton said:

Who said anything of the sort? The post is about deposits in new oil, not about it being inferior! Geez!

The discussion that follows your post seems to suggest that the oil is bad and you should switch brands. Go to bobistheoilguy and see if other top shelf brands also have deposits when sitting a long time on the shelf. Pretty common situation.

18 hours ago, shrubitup said:

The discussion that follows your post seems to suggest that the oil is bad and you should switch brands. Go to bobistheoilguy and see if other top shelf brands also have deposits when sitting a long time on the shelf. Pretty common situation.

Again I never said the oil was bad, and I dont think that oil the other poster mentioned was bad. He is probably not used to darker oil. Oil does not go bad sitting in a container, unless contaminated. I just personally had not seen deposits in oil in all the 35+ years ive been maintaining my own vehicles. 

• Like 1