Kdx220 questions

I’m coming off a back injury from a few years back and looking to ride again. Looking for something that’s mellow yet still has some snap. I’m heavily considering a 220. I like the idea of a two stroke enduro. My only concerns are that the bike might be low on power for my weight (225 pounds). Also it seems to be a lower sitting bike. Any opinions appreciated.

I had one. I'm heavier than you. If you plan on really fast riding or track riding then yes it's possibly slow but any trail riding slower 40 MPH will be just fine. I'm 6'2" and found the bike a little shorter than a MX or European bike.

Install Wiseco piston and a FMF Gnarly desert for added snap. For even more, get a RB Designs head mod and carb bore/divider plate installed.

http://www.rb-designs.com/rb_designs_llc_009.htm

• Like 1

I had one. I'm heavier than you. If you plan on really fast riding or track riding then yes it's possibly slow but any trail riding slower 40 MPH will be just fine. I'm 6'2" and found the bike a little shorter than a MX or European bike.
Install Wiseco piston and a FMF Gnarly desert for added snap. For even more, get a RB Designs head mod and carb bore/divider plate installed.
http://www.rb-designs.com/rb_designs_llc_009.htm

Yeah I’m back out in so cal now so I’ll mostly be riding in the desert. I’m just looking for a cruiser that’s easy enough to work on myself. I like that it has a 6 speed. Thanks

In the past, CA had laws about two strokes newer than 2002 (red sticker / green sticker). Read up on that. In the past, it was important to get a KDX that was not newer than 2002 when the stickers were important to the owner.

It should be a fine bike for you.

As far as I know you can ride Mohave with a red sticker bike during red sticker season. That’s how it was 5 years ago at least. That’s my primary riding spot. I think the kdx is at the top of my list. I’m also liking the Ktm 300 xcw. I’m digging the two stroke enduros.
The 220 is a great bike and love mine. It will haul you with no problem. Plus, if you get the notion you need more, the 220 can be brought alive with some simple bolt-on mods.

Awesome man, what kind of riding do you usually do with it?

I ride a bit of about everything. Hike-a-bike technical stuff, tight and twisty singletrack, sand washes, and race hare scrambles. However, I have retired my KDX220 from racing and higher speed stuff as I wanted more top speed and bought a 250 but don't have any plans to let go of my KDX!

Do you think the 250 has a higher top speed, even with the kdx being a 6 speed? I take it you’re talking about a two stroke 250?

The GasGas EC250R definitely has more top speed. It has a six speed trans with 13/48 gearing (same as my KDX) so I can hit speeds I know I'll never ride, lol! The extra power of the 250 can be helpful in some extreme situations so that's why I stepped up. That being said, if my 250 wasn't ready for a race, I wouldn't have any hesitation to jump back on the KDX and go racing. It really is that good of a bike with all the mods I have done. More details on my KDX220 here: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=18726

Edited by SS109
  • Helpful 1

The GasGas EC250R definitely has more top speed. It has a six speed trans with 13/48 gearing (same as my KDX) so I can hit speeds I know I'll never ride, lol! The extra power of the 250 can be helpful in some extreme situations so that's why I stepped up. That being said, if my 250 wasn't ready for a race, I wouldn't have any hesitation to jump back on the KDX and go racing. It really is that good of a bike with all the mods I have done. More details on my KDX220 here: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=18726

Awesome man, I’ll check it out. Thank you