2019 steering loose

Just wondering if anyone else has a problem with the steering on their 19 being loose? I repacked the head unit bearing with a good heavy grease and tightened everything down as much as I thought I could without damaging something. It helped but it is still pretty loose, it doesn’t take much to make the bars slap from side to side. Anyone have the same issue or know how to remedy this? 

I tightened the spanner nut under the top clamp until I couldn’t get it any tighter, and then I tightened the nut on top of the upper clamp until it started making men nervous. It made it better than it was, but I can still bump the bars with my hand and they will slap from stop to stop. I didn’t know if I could have a bad race or bad bearing or anything like gay from the factory.

Did you loosen the top clamp pinch bolts ,before you tried to tighten the steering head? If you didnt you wont be able to adjust the steering head/tighten. If you did something is not right.

• Like 1

You could try new Pivot Works or OEM bearings and races but I don't know that would make a difference. Torque the top clamp's nut to spec and try that.  If nothing helps and it's a issue for you, you may need to think about a stabilizer.

NOTE:  My '07/'08 manual calls for 22 ft/lbs for the stem adjuster and 80 ft/lbs for the top nut.

I haven't torn my bike down to regrease but I will update once I do. I have always torqued the spanner nut to where the bars don't fall to the stop no matter where you put them. I noticed if I turn the bars 45 degrees from straight they will fall to the steering stop. This is how the bike came from the dealer.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally tighten the upper pinch bolts first(like galliger said above) before you tightened the steering stem nut?

Cheers(with a Garrison Brothers single barrel) on the '19! Can't wait to rip a moto on mine! 

vXNgQ97.jpg

I tightened the spanner nut before I installed the top clamp. I had the forks off and head unit apart to pack bearings. Put the lower clamps back on, installed spanner nut, tightened it, then installed the top clamp, slid one fork leg in, snugged lower clamp, and tightened the steering stem but down as tight as I was comfortable, still more slop than I would care to have, doesn’t take much to slap the bars from side to side, they won’t hold themselves off the stops if you turn them a little.

Just wondering if anyone else has a problem with the steering on their 19 being loose? I repacked the head unit bearing with a good heavy grease and tightened everything down as much as I thought I could without damaging something. It helped but it is still pretty loose, it doesn’t take much to make the bars slap from side to side. Anyone have the same issue or know how to remedy this? 

Same issue on the 17s.

Take it to the honda  shop somethings wrong. On all my bike past and present (17) I can tighten it and the bars dont move.

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:51 AM, cemmons32 said:

No issues here on my 19...

To tighten the steering bearings you must first loosen no 10 and 12 on the top clamp

MjAyODM1OA-af5a6cb6.png

Then you can tighten no 5 on that is below the clamp. Once you have achieved your desired resistance or looseness, retighten no 12 on the UPPER first, then no 10 on the upper. MjA0MjM5OA-7130ca65.png

Make sense?

Now, it's possible that the races were seated in the frame. You can achieve this by tightening no 5 to about 20-30 foot pounds and rotating the clamp back and fourth a bunch, like 30-40 times. This action will seat the bearing races into the chassis. If it becomes loose while turning it back and forth, retighten no 5 and continue to rotate the clamp back and forth. This is a standard practice in seating the races in a automotive hub and is actually outlined in earlier Honda manuals for earlier bikes. Why they dont specify this practice any more is probably drive business back to dealers for service. It's a ten minute procedure that they'll probably pry $30-40 out of you for. If you dont have a spanner that will reach under the top clamp, you can gently tap the spanner nut with a drift and hammer. GENTLY.

Once you're satisfied that the races are seated, readjust the resistance or looseness to your desired levels. Back in the day, Jeremy McGrath used to crank his steering stem down tight so it'd act like a steering damper.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:34 AM, Shawn_Mc said:

To tighten the steering bearings you must first loosen no 10 and 12 on the top clamp

MjAyODM1OA-af5a6cb6.png

Then you can tighten no 5 on that is below the clamp. Once you have achieved your desired resistance or looseness, retighten no 12 on the UPPER first, then no 10 on the upper. MjA0MjM5OA-7130ca65.png

Make sense?

Now, it's possible that the races were seated in the frame. You can achieve this by tightening no 5 to about 20-30 foot pounds and rotating the clamp back and fourth a bunch, like 30-40 times. This action will seat the bearing races into the chassis. If it becomes loose while turning it back and forth, retighten no 5 and continue to rotate the clamp back and forth. This is a standard practice in seating the races in a automotive hub and is actually outlined in earlier Honda manuals for earlier bikes. Why they dont specify this practice any more is probably drive business back to dealers for service. It's a ten minute procedure that they'll probably pry $30-40 out of you for. If you dont have a spanner that will reach under the top clamp, you can gently tap the spanner nut with a drift and hammer. GENTLY.

Once you're satisfied that the races are seated, readjust the resistance or looseness to your desired levels. Back in the day, Jeremy McGrath used to crank his steering stem down tight so it'd act like a steering damper.

Turns out my races were not seated properly like you suggested, now its nice and tight. Thanks for the info.

• Like 2

Just now, Torrture said:

Now that you have it resolved, you can also add a HPSD if you'd like as well

Yes, I do have one and I'm about to do the re-valve on it to see if it works well for me or not. I tried it without a re-valve first so I could really gauge the difference afterwards.

• Like 1

Yeah, I just bought a '17 and then grabbed a used HPSD off ebay and sent it to FC for clean up and revalve. Think it'll be good to try.