2006 Honda CRF250X Valve Replacement

I'm about to replace my valves, since the right intake is nearly on the smallest shim. I need some advice on which valves/valve components to buy. I'm going to get another set of titanium intakes, but I wasn't sure if I go with the stock Honda valves, or get the Del West ti valves. Does it matter? As for the exhaust valves, should I get the stock steel valves/springs, or go aftermarket with those too?

I've read that the valve springs were an issue on the earlier engines (my bike), so I was going to replace the springs with the '09 R components (these are supposedly better?).

Here's what I'm currently thinking: all OEM replacements for the exhaust valves, and Del West ti intake valves with '09 R springs.

Thoughts?

Not necessary to go with the more expensive Del West Ti intake valves, the Ti oem's would work fine in most cases along with the newer intake springs. Oem on the exhaust side is also fine. Need to get those seats cut or possibly a new cylinder head.

45 minutes ago, MNThumper250 said:

I've read that the valve springs were an issue on the earlier engines (my bike), so I was going to replace the springs with the '09 R components (these are supposedly better?).

Issue was the seat material.   I would consider a new head from a later year.

I would also suggest steel rather than TI.  Will last much longer and most don't notice the difference.  If your going to keep the head, I would also replace the valve guides.

Jim.

2 hours ago, TDW said:

Not necessary to go with the more expensive Del West Ti intake valves, the Ti oem's would work fine in most cases along with the newer intake springs. Oem on the exhaust side is also fine. Need to get those seats cut or possibly a new cylinder head.

Ok, that's good to know. I didn't want to pay more than I had to, just thought the aftermarket (Del West) ti valves were of better quality. The seats will be cut, not looking to get a new head.

1 hour ago, Jim Dettman said:

I would also suggest steel rather than TI.  Will last much longer and most don't notice the difference.  If your going to keep the head, I would also replace the valve guides.

Jim.

Yeah, that's what I've heard, but I don't want to buy a brand new head. I was considering the Kibblewhite steel intakes, but I wanted the little extra power (even if it's not that noticeable), and it's less stress on my cam/cam chain. I know the steel valves last longer, but I got decent life out of the Ti.

I almost forgot about the valve guides, thanks for reminding me. Do you think I should replace the guides with stock ('06) parts, or use the '09 guides?

1 hour ago, MNThumper250 said:

Ok, that's good to know. I didn't want to pay more than I had to, just thought the aftermarket (Del West) ti valves were of better quality. The seats will be cut, not looking to get a new head.

You are probably right that the Del West valves are of better quality but in general the oem intake valves are good also when you get the seats machined and the cylinder head reconditioned as needed. Whoever cuts the seats should do a thorough inspection of the head and let you know what else it needs. As far as valve guides go I like the KW valve guides. The most cost effective way to go is usually to install new oem intake valves and springs vs the KW intake set (the springs needed are quite expensive) with a seat cut.

5 hours ago, MNThumper250 said:

I'm about to replace my valves, since the right intake is nearly on the smallest shim. I need some advice on which valves/valve components to buy. I'm going to get another set of titanium intakes, but I wasn't sure if I go with the stock Honda valves, or get the Del West ti valves. Does it matter? As for the exhaust valves, should I get the stock steel valves/springs, or go aftermarket with those too?

Here's what I'm currently thinking: all OEM replacements for the exhaust valves, and Del West ti intake valves with '09 R springs.

Thoughts?

Right intake went south on my 05, seems to be common. And Honda claims it is because of poor air filter service.

4 hours ago, Jim Dettman said:

Jim.

From my research:

Stock valves are the cheapest and buy another 100 or more hours. Recommended to me by a CRF250R racer who did his own wrenching.

08 and later heads have softer valve seats, I installed a low hour 09 top end on my 05 in 2014.

SS valves are more money and may require different valve springs.

New softer valve seats and Ti valves are a more permanent, but expensive, fix.

8 hours ago, MNThumper250 said:

Yeah, that's what I've heard, but I don't want to buy a brand new head. I was considering the Kibblewhite steel intakes, but I wanted the little extra power (even if it's not that noticeable), and it's less stress on my cam/cam chain. I know the steel valves last longer, but I got decent life out of the Ti.

A new head ready to go is probably not as expensive as you would think ($575):

http://www.bigborethumpers.com/newheads.html

By the time you pay for all your machining and parts, you're going to be most of the way there because if you plan on keeping the '06 head, you should have the valve seats replaced (not cut).

As far as the power, to each his own, but unless your all out racing, I don't think it's worth it myself. SS gets triple the life of TI (300+ hours vs 100).   If your really not riding it hard at all though, then TI can last quite a while and obviously that's what it came with.

Jim.

• Like 1

I just replaced the valves and seats on my 08 250x. I would go with all stock for the valves because (from my research) it seems as if the engine revs the way it does because of the ti valves. (correct me if I'm wrong). I got 10 years out of the stock top end, piston, rings, even with racing the bike and riding it hard for a lot of summers so I have a lot of trust in oem Honda parts. 

Maybe in off-road racing applications but IMO for the average trail ridden CRF250X

most owners would be hard pressed to notice any difference on how the engine responds going from Ti to SS valves.

Many like me actually install the heaviest flywheel available to further mellow the throttle response.

Edited by mlatour

10 hours ago, Jim Dettman said:

By the time you pay for all your machining and parts, you're going to be most of the way there because if you plan on keeping the '06 head, you should have the valve seats replaced (not cut).

As far as the power, to each his own, but unless your all out racing, I don't think it's worth it myself. SS gets triple the life of TI (300+ hours vs 100).   If your really not riding it hard at all though, then TI can last quite a while and obviously that's what it came with.

Jim.

Ok, that's not too bad. Do you know if they offer a head with Ti valves? Right now I'm at about $500 with parts and labor, but that's with just cutting the seats, not replacing them.

I'm racing the bike, so I wanted as much power/revs as I can get. I'm not sure how many hours the bike had on it when I bought it (didn't look like it had been ridden much), but I've put on 120+ by myself. I've ridden it for 3 years, and that includes racing and and not taking it easy.

Any recommendations on the brand of valve guides for Ti valves?

6 hours ago, Dansmith250x said:

I just replaced the valves and seats on my 08 250x. I would go with all stock for the valves because (from my research) it seems as if the engine revs the way it does because of the ti valves. (correct me if I'm wrong). I got 10 years out of the stock top end, piston, rings, even with racing the bike and riding it hard for a lot of summers so I have a lot of trust in oem Honda parts. 

I think you're right, I remember reading about the steel valves affecting the way the bike revs. I didn't see anything evidence to prove this though. The stock OEM parts lasted me a long time too, probably for as long as I need until I sell the bike.

2 hours ago, mlatour said:

Maybe in off-road racing applications but IMO for the average trail ridden CRF250X

most owners would be hard pressed to notice any difference on how the engine responds going from Ti to SS valves.

Many like me actually install the heaviest flywheel available to further mellow the throttle response.

Yeah, I'm not looking to mellow the bike out anymore than it is. I know SS valves will last longer, but I think the Ti valves will serve me better for what I'm doing - racing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 3:32 AM, Jim Dettman said:

Jim.

Dang! I wish I would have seen these heads before getting mine done. I paid that much to rebuild my 06 head. 

• 2 weeks later...

i put 200 hours on my 06 with stock valves then upgraded to kibblewhite SS valves and spring kit. had the valve seats cut and everything installed at a local race engine shop. no complaints and have not moved one bit in 50 hours. I'm sure there are cheeper options but its a buddy bike now and i don't want to have to worry about it. valves and springs were around 550$ Cdn plus 120$ to cut seats and install. i head was 900 can at the time so came out cheeper

• Like 2

Just now, MNThumper250 said:
2 minutes ago, Carman said:
and i cannot tell the difference between the TI and SS vales in terms of power or response. i have some mods done and it revs super fast. faster than i need

What mods did you have done? I assume a cam?

backfire screen removed, jd jet kit, airbox cut, hot cams stage 2 cam, kibblewhite valves, hot rods 2mm stroker crank (259cc), cleaned up casting marks in the head ports, crf250r piston (13.5 compression), dr. d long tube header, jardine RT-5 muffler and pink wire run to a switch.

backfire screen removed, jd jet kit, airbox cut, hot cams stage 2 cam, kibblewhite valves, hot rods 2mm stroker crank (259cc), cleaned up casting marks in the head ports, crf250r piston (13.5 compression), dr. d long tube header, jardine RT-5 muffler and pink wire run to a switch.
Nice, sounds like performance! I could always go with steel valves, and put the extra $ on a cam... idk
What did you have to mod to run the higher comp piston?
I was considering pulling the pink wire too, is that safe on a stock bike?

pink wire doesn't make any difference on a stock engine. adds a little bit more snap with a modded engine. i highly recommend a 250r cam or a stage 1 cam. really wakes them up everywhere. I'm not a huge fan of the stage 2 cam, bike really starts pulling around 8-9k eight up to 13100rpm. a pipe can really wake them up too. biggest difference and first mods should be airbox and jd jet kit. i use it in single track a lot and it still works great on that.