If you're thinking about getting a Rekluse, maybe just buy a TX300 instead...

1 hour ago, Hans Schmid said:

Not sure what to say... I've reached a fairly high level of riding in my life and for the last while have used a Rekluse. Not for any other reason other then cause I feel it helps, not because I don't have the skills. No different then suspension, sharper footpegs, different tires, different bend handlebars, etc... 

Can I ask what you feel it helps? I ask because usually the only answers I here are I don't stall it anymore. (fix) learn to use the clutch. Better traction on slippery surfaces (fix) learn to use the clutch. When I get tired it helps me. Really your fingers get so tired you cant use a clutch? Please help me entertain what it can/would do to help me? Some people swear by them but I have not ever thought boy if I had a auto clutch that would have been faster/easier. Sorry I had a lot of sarcasm in my responses that's just the way I operate ;)  Suspension can always be better. Foot pegs can always be sharper/wider/longer. Handle bars are rider specific. But the clutch is always variable by the rider with his/her fingers. Yes I have rode several bikes with them and could not understand what was so impressive. I guess im asking what you get that you don't get with the clutch lever? Thanks.  

@Hans Schmid You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.  Agree, most people that say Rekluse is junk, have never rode one that was set up properly. 

My 300xc came with one installed already. The old Zstart pro.  Second bike Ive had with one.  My buds Polaris Outlaw had the Zstart too and I hated it.  Was like a drag car stall converter.  He raced that quad and due to weight, the "stall" range helped him a lot on corner exits.  Sure he could feather the clutch, but there isnt a person alive that can be as precise as a static set mechanical device when it comes to consistency.  Do I need one? No.  Do I like having one?  Yes.  Am I a lazy rider? Some days yes, some no.

Whats funny is so many people that drop dime on a lectron seem to hate rekluse.  Call rekluse riders lazy, but buy a carb because they dont know how to jet a carb properly.  *eats popcorn* 

Next up, Rotella yay or nay?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, KeyKeeper said:

Whats funny is so many people that drop dime on a lectron seem to hate rekluse.  Call rekluse riders lazy, but buy a carb because they dont know how to jet a carb properly. 

The stock carb is great! I must know how to jet also hahaha. For the record I still have not had someone give an exact reason they think the auto is an advantage over using the clutch with their fingers. What does it do you cant do with the lever? Thanks.

Just now, ricky racer said:

The stock carb is great! I must know how to jet also hahaha. For the record I still have not had someone give an exact reason they think the auto is an advantage over using the clutch with their fingers. What does it do you cant do with the lever? Thanks.

The answer is very simple - it can actuate the clutch lever FOR YOU so you don't have to.  If you don't ever want any help with that, you shouldn't install a Rekluse.  I don't think anyone here has said it does something you can't do yourself.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 minute ago, smokepony said:

The answer is very simple - it can actuate the clutch lever FOR YOU so you don't have to.  If you don't ever want any help with that, you shouldn't install a Rekluse.  I don't think anyone here has said it does something you can't do yourself.

Ok. Crazy people spend that much on a auto clutch just so they don't have to use their lever. Thanks I'll drop it now ;)

Biggest advantage I see to them, is on rutted steep uphills in the soft stuff.  When its muddy, rainy, and slicker than Al shit, can just focus on throttle control to prevent rear wheel spin.  Especially in a situation where balance is a big challenge.  Sure you can feather the clutch but there is a pretty good chance you will either apply too much clutch or too much throttle for the given situation. 

Also, under good traction conditions on steep uphills, keeping the front wheel down is considerably easier.  Last thing I wanted was my 525exc coming over on me.  When the front wheel came up, i just backed off the throttle some and could dang near maintain a wheelie up a hill without the need to constantly work the clutch over. 

Clutch life...another plus IMO.  Instead of over-revving and over-slipping the clutch which creates a ton of detrimental heat, the clutch slip/rpm are load dependent so never too much/too little applied torque unless you just whiskey throttle it and then you have no clutch slip.

The real question, that's yet to be answered, is what can you do with a manual clutch that you cannot do with an auto clutch?  Other than brag about your left fingers and roll starting (can be done on the newer style rekluse). 

I get it, they are expensive and people don't think the benefit is worth the money.  Thats fine, but just ride on instead of bashing a product/device/tool that's not for you.  Some people don't like steering dampers, some do.  If you dont like it, dont get one. 

Ever use a LHRB?  Try using one without a Rekluse, or a clake. 

Edited by KeyKeeper
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, KeyKeeper said:

Biggest advantage I see to them, is on rutted steep uphills in the soft stuff.  When its muddy, rainy, and slicker than Al shit, can just focus on throttle control to prevent rear wheel spin.  Especially in a situation where balance is a big challenge.  Sure you can feather the clutch but there is a pretty good chance you will either apply too much clutch or too much throttle for the given situation. 

Also, under good traction conditions on steep uphills, keeping the front wheel down is considerably easier.  Last thing I wanted was my 525exc coming over on me.  When the front wheel came up, i just backed off the throttle some and could dang near maintain a wheelie up a hill without the need to constantly work the clutch over. 

Clutch life...another plus IMO.  Instead of over-revving and over-slipping the clutch which creates a ton of detrimental heat, the clutch slip/rpm are load dependent so never too much/too little applied torque unless you just whiskey throttle it and then you have no clutch slip.

The real question, that's yet to be answered, is what can you do with a manual clutch that you cannot do with an auto clutch?  Other than brag about your left fingers and roll starting (can be done on the newer style rekluse). 

I get it, they are expensive and people don't think the benefit is worth the money.  Thats fine, but just ride on instead of bashing a product/device/tool that's not for you.  Some people don't like steering dampers, some do.  If you dont like it, dont get one. 

Thank you for the explanation. So it helps someone that is maybe less experienced or to lazy to learn how to use a clutch. Got it. Why would I want or need a handle bar mounted rear brake? My foot does a wonderful job as its supposed to be on the peg anyway not flailing around off the peg lol. I was never bashing the product I was just trying to see what people liked about it other then the lame answers of I don't stall anymore or helps when I get tired. I have tried several bikes with them and only came away with things I did not like so thought maybe I was really missing something. I don't like the way it free wheels close to idle. I don't like the way it free wheels with a dead engine and I felt the clutch action while the bike was running was less than stellar. Felt grabby to me. Sorry for asking questions nobody seems to have the answers too. Thanks.

To address some of your experiences.

1.  Grabby.  Some of the Rekluse designs ARE prone to it.  For instance the CRF450R/X bikes with the radius or core xp.  They chatter and require the OEM honda judder spring to stop it.  I hate it as well.  The old Z start pro does not chatter and has a very smooth "soft" engagement unless you really wick the throttle.  If you get the chance to try a 250/300 2T with a Zstart thats set up to grab right off the bottom, try doing some pivot wheelies.  The rekluse makes them easy for even a low experience rider.  Now balance has to maintain but if you have good balance you can get the front end up by just stabbing the throttle and then letting it return back to near idle.

2. Free wheel.  Again, this is prone to set up.  If the clutch stack is not set up with the proper clearance, engine braking goes out the window if you pull in the clutch for any sort of extended period of time (2seconds +).  However if the stack has the slight drag at idle like they are supposed to (parasitic drag from the oil), then they engine brake just like a typical clutch as the clutch input/output speed stays relatively close and the centrifugal weights will stay engaged.  A loose stack will provide no engine braking when the clutch lever is pulled and released unless you wing the throttle.  Now can be a good or bad thing as a lot of folks dont use the clutch lever to downshift any longer and replace it with left hand rear brake.  Downshifting without the clutch keeps trans input/output coupled at all times yielding engine braking like a std clutch.

3. LHRB.  Get stopped on a steep uphill where you have no choice but to take your right foot off the peg to prevent falling over to the right, and then the front wheel starts sliding in a lock up condition.  Tumbling down the rabbit hole eh? Left hand rear brake BINGO saves the day. Combined with the auto clutch, you can maintain stopped condition, balance, and then when you want to proceed upward, you don't have to stress that too much throttle and too quick a clutch release will send your rear wheel into a spin condition. 

Does #3 seem like a lazy rider?   I can put a Phillips screw in with a small flat tip, it is possible with just the right amount of force and effort, but why not use a tool that makes it much easier and productive.

I can ride a bike with or without the Rekluse and have a successful fun ride, I'm just less worn out using one with a Rekluse.  At 42yrs old, and too many broken bones to count in the past, I'd rather ride smarter, not harder.  Just my .02c

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

26 minutes ago, KeyKeeper said:

To address some of your experiences.

1.  Grabby.  Some of the Rekluse designs ARE prone to it.  For instance the CRF450R/X bikes with the radius or core xp.  They chatter and require the OEM honda judder spring to stop it.  I hate it as well.  The old Z start pro does not chatter and has a very smooth "soft" engagement unless you really wick the throttle.  If you get the chance to try a 250/300 2T with a Zstart thats set up to grab right off the bottom, try doing some pivot wheelies.  The rekluse makes them easy for even a low experience rider.  Now balance has to maintain but if you have good balance you can get the front end up by just stabbing the throttle and then letting it return back to near idle.

2. Free wheel.  Again, this is prone to set up.  If the clutch stack is not set up with the proper clearance, engine braking goes out the window if you pull in the clutch for any sort of extended period of time (2seconds +).  However if the stack has the slight drag at idle like they are supposed to (parasitic drag from the oil), then they engine brake just like a typical clutch as the clutch input/output speed stays relatively close and the centrifugal weights will stay engaged.  A loose stack will provide no engine braking when the clutch lever is pulled and released unless you wing the throttle.  Now can be a good or bad thing as a lot of folks dont use the clutch lever to downshift any longer and replace it with left hand rear brake.  Downshifting without the clutch keeps trans input/output coupled at all times yielding engine braking like a std clutch.

3. LHRB.  Get stopped on a steep uphill where you have no choice but to take your right foot off the peg to prevent falling over to the right, and then the front wheel starts sliding in a lock up condition.  Tumbling down the rabbit hole eh? Left hand rear brake BINGO saves the day. Combined with the auto clutch, you can maintain stopped condition, balance, and then when you want to proceed upward, you don't have to stress that too much throttle and too quick a clutch release will send your rear wheel into a spin condition. 

Does #3 seem like a lazy rider?   I can put a Phillips screw in with a small flat tip, it is possible with just the right amount of force and effort, but why not use a tool that makes it much easier and productive.

I can ride a bike with or without the Rekluse and have a successful fun ride, I'm just less worn out using one with a Rekluse.  At 42yrs old, and too many broken bones to count in the past, I'd rather ride smarter, not harder.  Just my .02c

Couldn't have said it any better. Great explanation, Graham Jarvis may not have that #3 issue but i am just not as talented as he is ;) so i need a rekluse.

• Like 1

I just got back into dirt bikes about 2 years ago after a 30+ year layoff (I'm 49).  I bought a 2013 250XCF-W and loved it.  I bought a Rekluse out of curiosity, really - also got a 50% off deal.  I really like the Rekluse and I feel like it made me a better rider in some ways.  It allowed me to really focus on carrying momentum through tight, gnarly terrain and tackle steep stuff, too.  I think my balance improved while I was riding with the Rekluse.  
But for my 50th Birthday, I bought myself a 2018 TX300.  I did a couple practice days at an MX track to break in the motor, and today was the first day I got it out on tight trails.  Lots of rocky sections, tight steep switchbacks and narrow single track with ruts.  I was amazed how quickly I was able to adapt to just using one finger to slip the clutch and use the unreal low-end torque of that sweet 300 engine to tractor over rocks.  Same thing on low traction uphills.  Using 2nd gear and slipping the clutch, I was able to get going in a way that I thought I could only do because of my auto-clutch.
Who knows, maybe if I pull the auto-clutch out of my 250XCF-W I'd have the same experience now that I'm a more experienced rider.  But I gotta say, the engine on this 300 is truly a thing of beauty.  Doing my first enduro with it this weekend.  Can't wait!!

I can’t agree more, but I still have the Radius CX on my 2018 TX300. Amazing bike! Love it! Just put a
RK tek head on it and believe it or not, it’s 10x better!! I have no affiliation with RK tek, I’m just a happy customer that’s trying to spread the good word about this product! It will make you faster and the 300 easier to ride! He has a 100% moneyback guarantee! That’s how much he believes in his product and now, so do I. 56047116717__5BB6B6AB-E1B6-42E5-BB8C-AE2D57AE78ED.JPG

100%

8 minutes ago, 1 lunger said:

! He has a 100% moneyback guarantee! That’s how much he believes in his product and now, so do I.

Try and take him up on it. The guarantee is false. It’s a good product but you should be able to return it for any reason during the 30 day period. My return was denied so he may deny other returns too. Send me your email; you can read the whole interaction. 

The reason for the return was that no fuel savings were realized. That’s why I bought it and it didn’t deliver that. 

Try and take him up on it. The guarantee is false. It’s a good product but you should be able to return it for any reason during the 30 day period. My return was denied so he may deny other returns too. Send me your email; you can read the whole interaction. 
The reason for the return was that no fuel savings were realized. That’s why I bought it and it didn’t deliver that. 

Well that’s too bad. I did it for the power and it did deliver on that! I’m sorry you weren’t happy with it! Did you try rejetting? Was it a TX 300? I only ask, because I had bad MPG before I looped my overflow vent hose higher than the bowl float. Then I started getting better MPG. I then tried a Smartcarb, but ended up with the Keihin carburetor and I pretty happy with my MPG.