Posted (edited)

So I want to fit a Speedo to my stock Honda CRF230F, I know people have fitted the Trail Tech endurance to them but they are a bit pricey so my questions are is there another reliable Speedo or is my best choice to bite the bullet and get the Endurance? My other question is the stock stator for the CRF230F enough to power a Speedo or more specifically a trail tech endurance 2? I fully capable of installing it and splicing the wiring, my question is just can the stock bike support it? Also the Bike does not have a headlight.

Edited by Australian Psycho
Spelling

So I want to fit a Speedo to my stock Honda CRF230F, I know people have fitted the Trail Tech endurance to them but they are a bit pricey so my questions are is there another reliable Speedo or is my best choice to bite the bullet and get the Endurance? My other question is the stock stator for the CRF230F enough to power a Speedo or more specifically a trail tech endurance 2? I fully capable of installing it and splicing the wiring, my question is just can the stock bike support it? Also the Bike does not have a headlight.

The stock stator can run the Trail Tech no problem. While it’s a bit pricey, it is well worth the money. 20180329_173247_resized_1.jpg
  • Helpful 1

You would be better off just buying a handlebar mount for your smart phone and download a speedometer app.  I use a speedo app in my Jeep since the speedo doesn't work in it.  It is very accurate. I have a windshield suction cup mount for it.

• Like 2

Cheap bicycle computer on one of my plated bikes, works good enough.

• Like 1

Ya I use a dedicated android as a GPS with a home made mount and when not using it on my CRF250R for a GPS which isn't that often, switch over the mount to DRZ and use a speedo app which IMO is as accurate as I'll ever need. I could also use the GPS app at the same time if I want and get an odometer along with TONS of other stats if I wanted. Only cost for my setup was the $20 Alpine Lowe hard camera case I moded.

Basic speedo app with an easy to see # display.

2057547231_20180725_1655111.thumb.jpg.f4de720e990363be3637bd06e36b9d07.jpg

GPS app with one of the 5 screens of data

Screenshot_2017-03-08-17-22-02.thumb.png.53c16d7b77884e437a91d4c748f3a294.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, filterx said:

GPS app with one of the 5 screens of data

This is a good budget solution. The app shown is OruxMaps which is really good.

But if I had to do it over again, I would get the Striker instead of the Endurance so I can monitor engine temperature: http://bit.ly/2RuHW0U

I suspect my CRF runs very hot at times per the above link. But most probably don't care. Just use synthetic oil. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedMesa said:

This is a good budget solution. The app shown is OruxMaps which is really good.

But if I had to do it over again, I would get the Striker instead of the Endurance so I can monitor engine temperature: http://bit.ly/2RuHW0U

I suspect my CRF runs very hot at times per the above link. But most probably don't care. Just use synthetic oil. 

Ya Oruxmaps took a bit to figure out but IMO it with OFF LINE Garmin or other IMG topo maps is as good if not better than any dedicated GPS and the cost is right :)

Off topic but As far as monitoring engine temps, it can get hot in BC during the summers (I'm sure not New Mexico hot) and we have trails that can over heat bikes (long steep to slow tight hard technical) and I've only once had my CRF250R (setup for woods) boil over. I personally don't need to monitor engine temps real time cus I can hear the rads boil BUT I've since gone over size rads and have not had an issue in 3 years. I've also looked at adding an overflow bottle and I've got a  LED head light setup I've been working on to ride at night. Its and easy put on/take off setup and I've got a 6000 mAh rechargeable battery I can mount my air box. If I was really concerned about overheating I'd mount a rad fan and run off the rechargeable and just turn on as needed and maybe use a rad cap with a temp sensor on it if I could see it while riding cus I wouldn't bother with a temp sensor to turn on. That setup would be about $40 and obviously if the bike had a battery it would be a bit easier :)

Its 2 degree C where I live this morning but sunny and warming out. Might get out for one of the few last dual sport rides on the DRZ before I put it away for the winter :)

Have a nice weekend

Edited by filterx