Any other Trails in Michigan that compare to the Tomahawk in Wolverine?

From everyone else's experience have you ridden anything in Michigan that compares to riding the Tomahawk B and C loops in Wolverine?  I'm finding myself becoming a Tomahawk snob because I can't seem to find any other trails that compare to the Tomahawk.  The elevation changes/hills, the woops, the tight twisty trails, the rocks the roots just the all out flow of the trail is amazing.  Everything we have tried this year to me doesn't have that wow factor and just seems flat and twisty.   

Anyone have any other recommendations to try before the season is done?

Thank you

Can't wait to ride the loops.  My in-laws recently bought a farm in Wolverine, just East of I-75 off Rondo Rd.  I've also got a hunting cabin/place to crash/base-camp about 1/4mile down the street from Indian River OHV Trailhead Parking (5844 S Straits Hwy, Indian River, MI 49749).  About time I get back on 2 wheels!  We've ridden ATV's and snowmobiles all over that area, finally told the wife I'm selling the Harley and getting a 2 stroke!

• Like 4

Can't wait to ride the loops.  My in-laws recently bought a farm in Wolverine, just East of I-75 off Rondo Rd.  I've also got a hunting cabin/place to crash/base-camp about 1/4mile down the street from Indian River OHV Trailhead Parking (5844 S Straits Hwy, Indian River, MI 49749).  About time I get back on 2 wheels!  We've ridden ATV's and snowmobiles all over that area, finally told the wife I'm selling the Harley and getting a 2 stroke!

Looks like we’re tentatively planning to go back up on the 13 and 14th.
  • Like 1

We just ran the c loop on 9/30. First time doing the entire loop other than one part of it but it was still 41 miles. B or C loop are pretty damn fun but I was just wondering if there is anything else that compares or has the tomahawk ruined the rest of the trails in Michigan for me LOL!

I have nothing. Best trail I've run in Michigan is Tomahawk C.

13 hours ago, 17YZ250F said:

That is the trail from hell. Never been so happy to see my truck in my life. Wooped out for pretty much the entire trail.

We rode Evart in June of this year and the Woops weren't as bad as a few years ago. The first time I rode that trail in 2015 with my 14 yr old son it rained all night and then was hot and humid the next day. Between the mud and heat I thought we were going to die before reaching the end. This year we rode the whole thing with only one stop for a few mins. 

On 10/2/2018 at 6:18 PM, 17YZ250F said:

I have family in Indian River and wish I could make another trip up there before winter, but I don't think it's in the cards (wife is due to give birth at the end of the month).

If you are riding Tomahawk B-loop, there are a couple of nice hill climbs that I always seem to hit going the wrong direction.  Maybe one of the locals can help me out, but I believe if you start from the parking lot heading west (not north) and ride the trail in a "figure 8" utilizing the 2nd connector trail you may hit both of the hillclimbs in the fun direction.  Also, if you like tight single track check out some of the MCCCT in that area, too.

On 10/2/2018 at 5:18 PM, 17YZ250F said:

Count me in.  It's only 1300 miles to get there from lower Alabama.  Just serviced the XTrainer, and printing trail maps now.  Can't wait.

Nothing in lower MI compares to Tomahawk. Was up there a few months ago with my buddy. Wolverine also has great kayaking on the Sturgeon river. We usually ride for a couple days then kayak. Have you ever rode Drummond Island? Try Evart with three inches of wet snow like I did one year. This past spring we rode Evart before the ground had completely thawed, and a friend nearly had a heart attack trying to climb a frozen hill. I live near Cedar Creek, Blue lake-Holton, and Horseshoe lake trails, and will travel for a good ride. Anyone wanting to ride around here I make a good trail guide.

Edited by hondaxr650rrrr

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing beats the B loop west of Wolverine.  The elevation changes and tight single track is not comparable to anything else I've ridden in the last 18 years in Michigan.  I have seen grown men beg to get them back to the truck, too tired to go on!  Good fun when the weather is good, a cold day in hell when it's raining and 30 degrees.  I don't know what it is about that trail, but some years, they change it up and it is easy to get turned around and lost.  Definitely a challenge when the weather is bad.  We always make it our last ride of the year, and the weather can be sketchy in mid-November.  A different place in the spring, or early fall when it is warm and dry. 

The A loop can be fun in the snow.  Last year, the last weekend before hunting season, we rode the A loop in about 2 inches of fresh snow from the night before.  The sand under the snow provided good traction.  Four of us laughed our butts off all the way around the loop that Saturday!  What a blast!  Definitely a new twist for those who have not ridden in the snow!  Reach up, smack a low tree limb, and listen for the guy behind you to howl as the snow runs down his back!  Funny how it gets in under the enduro jacket!  It is part of riding everyone should experience at least once........ or ten times!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eric Wheeler said:

Nothing beats the B loop west of Wolverine.  The elevation changes and tight single track is not comparable to anything else I've ridden in the last 18 years in Michigan.  I have seen grown men beg to get them back to the truck, too tired to go on!  Good fun when the weather is good, a cold day in hell when it's raining and 30 degrees.  I don't know what it is about that trail, but some years, they change it up and it is easy to get turned around and lost.  Definitely a challenge when the weather is bad.  We always make it our last ride of the year, and the weather can be sketchy in mid-November.  A different place in the spring, or early fall when it is warm and dry. 

The A loop can be fun in the snow.  Last year, the last weekend before hunting season, we rode the A loop in about 2 inches of fresh snow from the night before.  The sand under the snow provided good traction.  Four of us laughed our butts off all the way around the loop that Saturday!  What a blast!  Definitely a new twist for those who have not ridden in the snow!  Reach up, smack a low tree limb, and listen for the guy behind you to howl as the snow runs down his back!  Funny how it gets in under the enduro jacket!  It is part of riding everyone should experience at least once........ or ten times!

We definitely had to refer to the map very frequently on the B loop a few weeks ago.  So many connectors!  It and C are thus far my favorites in Michigan.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...