PDS shock lowering / shortening ?

I want more wheelbase for my raised BMW F650 since after making it taller its weight distribution became noticeably uneven - it tends to push its front while off-road cornering and became more prone to wheelies. This is my daily use bike and I use it for long trips and off-road cruising regularly. What I've been thinking about is to mount an alloy KTM rear swingarm with a PDS shock that would terminate the need of regular linkage maintenance and would give some extra ground clearance at its bottom. The biggest problem is, that I have now an F650GS Dakar rear shock and the WP PDS I have now is *a lot* longer than that - also the Dakar shock connects to the link under the swingarm but the WP connects onto it, hence I'd need a 300-340mm long PDS shock instead of the recent >410mm one.

Were they ever produced in such length or is it even possible to shorten one by so much?

The top mount will need to be made into the frame ? It's offset

The angle of the pds shock is critical. so like mog was saying, you would need to relocate the top mount.

to me it seems easier to modify the shock you have to better suit your riding. swapping out to a pds is opening up a whole world of trouble that you will need to tinker around with for ages to get it to work right again. not only do you have to make new frame mounts, but lots of spacers and bushings to mount the swing arm. and you will need to use the rear caliper and wheel from the ktm or make even more spacers and bushings to mount your BMW wheel to the ktm arm. then you would probably have to tinker around with spring rates and valving to get it to work ok.  it would probably be best to try and move the riding position forward a bit to get the CG correct. 

Edited by MCRIPPPer