Looking for feed back on a training facility idea. If you're anything like me, you get to a point in progression on the skill of your choice.. trials / race / FMX / etc.. and injury vs keeping your day job slows you down. You want to push to that next level up but cant afford the hospital bills, time off work, or time off the bike in recovery. Yet still you try and lean a little more into that whip,  jump a bit further or fly faster riding the edge of disaster knowing you could do it but the consequences await and Monday morning starts again soon. I want to provide metal ramps and dirt jumps with varied distances to Air bags that simulate foam pits without the need for cranes or melted foam replacements, cleaning, fluffing, reset time etc... As well as metal ramps and dirt jumps with varied distances to landing shaped Airbags more suited to ride away from but still offering for more survivability than jumping to a packed dirt landing. Giving riders from beginner to advanced the opportunity to step to the next level of training in a much safer environment. Would you go? Would it appeal to you and where you're at as a rider today?

Can you post a video of what this kind of thing looks like etc? Sounds interesting.

Does this look fun to you? Would you go to a place that had this to try?

15 minutes ago, John Madden said:

Does this look fun to you? Would you go to a place that had this to try?

yep, I'd prolly start with a minibike though....move the ramp a bit closer. It would be nice if the pad was longer too

yep, I'd prolly start with a minibike though....move the ramp a bit closer. It would be nice if the pad was longer too

Yeah longer pad for sure especially when you start pushing distance. I think this would be great with a dirt jump option as well. Big enough to start working scrubs and whips without risking to much.

Very cool. I'm 51, overcoming two years of pretty serious injuries, finally pretty healthy. Not sure I'm willing to do anything that really might mess me up... Younger, yeah, I'd be all over that. 

I hate to break it to you but you'll still get hurt in foam pits and airbags. Have you ever ridden on resi pads or landed on your head in a foam pits? I have , on a bicycle, it still sucks. Sure it's better than the ground but you can still get hurt.

The correct way to learn to ride is by riding itself. Progress and learn skills naturally. You probably don't think much about a little 5 foot jump. Just keep riding and building skills and confidence. Sooner or later you'll look at 50' jumps the same.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I hate to break it to you but you'll still get hurt in foam pits and airbags. Have you ever ridden on resi pads or landed on your head in a foam pits? I have , on a bicycle, it still sucks. Sure it's better than the ground but you can still get hurt.

The correct way to learn to ride is by riding itself. Progress and learn skills naturally. You probably don't think much about a little 5 foot jump. Just keep riding and building skills and confidence. Sooner or later you'll look at 50' jumps the same.

Yeah, they had an airbag at Crystal Mt. one year and I kept meaning to go over there and give it a whirl. I am 99% sure I could toss a successful flip on skis into an airbag, bike, not so much. Plus, this is obviously not going to be free. I think the target market for this isn't likely TT riders, it's going to be kids riding MX. 

Though, now that I say that I did watch the vids, looks pretty fun! Did you all catch the guy on the trials bike?

• Like 1

Doesn't seem marketable to me. I had a steel freestyle ramp. If you don't have the skill to size up a 50' gap to dirt then you don't have the skill to safely ride off a ramp in the to start with. That bag will require maintenance. I have to imagine just like a foam pit they are also a fire hazard. It seems it would be far better to have actually dirt landings set at progressively further distances to learn on.

We used to huck ourselves on our BMX bikes out into the pond. Got pretty rowdy sometimes and knocked ourselves silly, but I'd do it again if I had a pond :)

• Like 2

Yeah i get that it’s definitely not full proof guaranteed no injury. Yeah I’ve hit foam pits it still can hurt and the danger of a 250 Lbs bike fly down on you is real. The purpose is to still jump and whip within your skill level but being able to push that scrub whip or FMX trick a little bit further without the hard pack being your consequence. If you did just like you said you still face the very real certainty of breaking bones or concussions. So where I’m coming in is insert the airbag as part of your training progression or aid in getting through those learning mistakes which will always happen but with a much safer environment. Would you agree that not only would this be extremely fun but useful in context?

Doesn't seem marketable to me. I had a steel freestyle ramp. If you don't have the skill to size up a 50' gap to dirt then you don't have the skill to safely ride off a ramp in the to start with. That bag will require maintenance. I have to imagine just like a foam pit they are also a fire hazard. It seems it would be far better to have actually dirt landings set at progressively further distances to learn on.

Bag maintenance is covered not an issue especially not for you as the customer.

So you’re a guy that jumps 50’ from ramps. My market to you is what are you performing at 50’ ? Where are you doing this? Your backyard? Practicing whips or scrubs on the track on certain jumps once you make your way back around to them? Why not whip or scrub a little bit harder into the airbag or landing bag and add a huge safety advantage to your side of the training???

If the square bag is not at all appealing make sure you understand the next level from the square bag is the the air landing bag.

You pay $30 bucks for sessions on a track. You’re saying you wouldn’t mix it up and pay $20-$30 for a track that also has a square bag and a landing bag?

1 hour ago, John Madden said:

So you’re a guy that jumps 50’ from ramps. My market to you is what are you performing at 50’ ? Where are you doing this? Your backyard? Practicing whips or scrubs on the track on certain jumps once you make your way back around to them? Why not whip or scrub a little bit harder into the airbag or landing bag and add a huge safety advantage to your side of the training???

If the square bag is not at all appealing make sure you understand the next level from the square bag is the the air landing bag.

You pay $30 bucks for sessions on a track. You’re saying you wouldn’t mix it up and pay $20-$30 for a track that also has a square bag and a landing bag?

Can we get some cheerleaders? :excuseme:

:)

You're correct, maintenance is the owner's issue , as is liability. Obviously you're not really thinking about the details here. How old are you? 

Again, you're putting a lot a faith in a bag. If you do some more research you will find out it isn't as safe as you think. People will still find ways to get hurt. What you are purposing is to use these bags for basic skills that should be learned through time and riding. The people that use these things are professionals. They're not trying to find out what it feels like to jump 75 feet or practice whips. They're trying to learn extremely dangerous tricks and the bags are there to lessen the chances of catastrophic injury. It's naive to think you're going to land on your head in an airbag on Sunday afternoon and go into work fresh as a daisy on Monday. What are you you going to do when someone bounces out or misses the bag and get seriously hurt or killed?

• Like 1

You're correct, maintenance is the owner's issue , as is liability. Obviously you're not really thinking about the details here. How old are you?  

Again, you're putting a lot a faith in a bag. If you do some more research you will find out it isn't as safe as you think. People will still find ways to get hurt. What you are purposing is to use these bags for basic skills that should be learned through time and riding. The people that use these things are professionals. They're not trying to find out what it feels like to jump 75 feet or practice whips. They're trying to learn extremely dangerous tricks and the bags are there to lessen the chances of catastrophic injury. It's naive to think you're going to land on your head in an airbag on Sunday afternoon and go into work fresh as a daisy on Monday. What are you you going to do when someone bounces out or misses the bag and get seriously hurt or killed?

Research shows that 100% of the people are 89% more likely to walk away from an airbag crash than the 24% are from a dirt landing.

78% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Places like what I’m explaining already exist in Europe. I’ve been on the phone with all of them and had some great conversations about their business and logistics.

The facility will cater to advanced riders at 75’ and amateurs like me and you at 50’ and beginner riders as well at much closer distances.

So once again bud not concerned with weather or not you think the business is feasible. Just wanted to see if you personally would go to it and use it. You seem pretty scared of the whole idea and that’s ok it’s not for everyone.