Boca Raton area

I grew up in Boca back in the 80s. As an early teenager my friends and I had small bore RM, YZ and CR dirt bikes. We used to ride right out of the garages of our houses in Boca Bath & Tennis on Military Trail to several different “homemade” woods or MX tracks in various undeveloped swaths of land in Boca and Delray. One was at Palmetto just west of I-95, another was at about 18th Street east of Military, yet another just west of Military and just north of Glades, and another was somewhere in Delray a bit east of 95. There were others I cannot recall. None of our bikes were street legal and none of us had driver’s licenses anyway, so we would ride on the shoulders of roads or use the side of train tracks (that’s another story!) to get to/from, some at a considerable distance. The were always yet-to-be developed tracks of land we could create a track on simply by riding it over and over. There were enough kids in Boca with dirt bikes that rumor would spread and soon enough there would be a place worth going. It being so flat, there were no jumps of materiality (one reason I am out of my element on modern MX tracks) but we would build up plenty of whoops and burmed turns, sometimes in open fields, sometimes through trees, that we’d create a good track to race each other on. Mostly sugar sand which meant we had to rev those bikes to the moon but also meant that crashes were not much of a big deal. We’d bring cash and a small bottle of Golden Spectro and fill up at gas stations as needed. Nearby residents didn’t love our screaming 2-strokes and we weren’t without the occasional police officer encounter, but we “mostly” stayed out of trouble. It was good, clean (and sometimes loud) fun. We weren’t drinking or smoking, we were exploring and beating up on those bikes enough that we had to learn how to repair them in a pre-Internet era which meant “take it apart and look at it and try to figure out what is wrong.” Some of the best memories of my life. I bought my two teenage boys dirt bikes this year. We have fun riding together, but a part of me thinks it’s a shame they cannot have those same kind of “Tom Sawyer” freedom and adrenaline experiences I had as a kid rolling out of the driveway on a 2-stroke bike, discovering the world and barely skirting just a tiny bit of trouble now and then with your best buddies. That and surfing are memories of my youth I’d pay big money to relive with those buddies. Sorry to hijack your thread but even typing this is bringing back smiling memories!

• Like 1

I grew up in Boca back in the 80s. As an early teenager my friends and I had small bore RM, YZ and CR dirt bikes. We used to ride right out of the garages of our houses in Boca Bath & Tennis on Military Trail to several different “homemade” woods or MX tracks in various undeveloped swaths of land in Boca and Delray. One was at Palmetto just west of I-95, another was at about 18th Street east of Military, yet another just west of Military and just north of Glades, and another was somewhere in Delray a bit east of 95. There were others I cannot recall. None of our bikes were street legal and none of us had driver’s licenses anyway, so we would ride on the shoulders of roads or use the side of train tracks (that’s another story!) to get to/from, some at a considerable distance. The were always yet-to-be developed tracks of land we could create a track on simply by riding it over and over. There were enough kids in Boca with dirt bikes that rumor would spread and soon enough there would be a place worth going. It being so flat, there were no jumps of materiality (one reason I am out of my element on modern MX tracks) but we would build up plenty of whoops and burmed turns, sometimes in open fields, sometimes through trees, that we’d create a good track to race each other on. Mostly sugar sand which meant we had to rev those bikes to the moon but also meant that crashes were not much of a big deal. We’d bring cash and a small bottle of Golden Spectro and fill up at gas stations as needed. Nearby residents didn’t love our screaming 2-strokes and we weren’t without the occasional police officer encounter, but we “mostly” stayed out of trouble. It was good, clean (and sometimes loud) fun. We weren’t drinking or smoking, we were exploring and beating up on those bikes enough that we had to learn how to repair them in a pre-Internet era which meant “take it apart and look at it and try to figure out what is wrong.” Some of the best memories of my life. I bought my two teenage boys dirt bikes this year. We have fun riding together, but a part of me thinks it’s a shame they cannot have those same kind of “Tom Sawyer” freedom and adrenaline experiences I had as a kid rolling out of the driveway on a 2-stroke bike, discovering the world and barely skirting just a tiny bit of trouble now and then with your best buddies. That and surfing are memories of my youth I’d pay big money to relive with those buddies. Sorry to hijack your thread but even typing this is bringing back smiling memories!

Dude! This is awesome! I’m definitely gonna try and find some of these spots and let you know n might send some current photos, lol! Send me some coords if you can!