Romney1

Rmx250 1995 project

Im in the process of doing an RmX 250 project iv added a couple of pictures but will keep adding along the way . Every wearing item has been replaced or rebuilt along the way . Iv purchased a pwk air stricker carb as an upgrade and wonted some advise on where to start on the jetting for the uk iv read and read but hitting a brickwall : iv been putting off the next stage as i dont wont to start the fresh engine on lean jetting and damage all my hard work . Cheers in advance 

B727E7DF-08F9-4607-8663-E116FA1FBC68.jpeg

A548FF9C-AAF0-4A61-B881-B772AA1765DA.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Romney1 said:

Im in the process of doing an RmX 250 project iv added a couple of pictures but will keep adding along the way . Every wearing item has been replaced or rebuilt along the way . Iv purchased a pwk air stricker carb as an upgrade and wonted some advise on where to start on the jetting for the uk iv read and read but hitting a brickwall : iv been putting off the next stage as i dont wont to start the fresh engine on lean jetting and damage all my hard work . Cheers in advance 

B727E7DF-08F9-4607-8663-E116FA1FBC68.jpeg

A548FF9C-AAF0-4A61-B881-B772AA1765DA.jpeg

Looking AWESOME!!!!

x2 - that really does look awesome!

Jetting wise, you'd be really close on jetting if you picked an off-road bike that used the same carb.  Do you know what bike that PWK came off of?  Otherwise, I would spec out the jetting for a pre-'17 KTM250XCW (EXC in the UK I believe), that should get you close enough to ride it.  FWIW I did the same thing when I installed a 295cc kit on my '99 RM250 and installed a 36mm PWK at the same time (wanted to improve the low end) that carb came off of a '14 KTM 300XC.  So, I bought a JD jet kit that covered a '14 KTM300XCW, followed their recommendations and it was about perfect the first time I rode it.

Thanks for the input i will continue with the Pictures as the stages process ..Specification of the new carb now its not been installed on any bike as yet it was purchased as a new item in the box

170 Main Jet 

55 Pilot Jet

48-DDJ Throttle Needle

7.0 Slide 

where would i find the spec of a similar bike like listed , i never thought of doing such thing but actually makes good sense. Iv been searching only for rmx  

thanks 

In what respect? Ino there is a couple of different types depending on country of origin.  Mine is a J112 engine code .

Mine was a US 90 model. I don't remember the head looking like a big "tower" like that.  But it has been 26 years so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,. In fact I don't remember ever seeing a head shaped like that.

Yes early type have the intake for the coolant at the side intergrated in the head  later type has the intake directly on top like mine thats flanged 

My bike is a registered 1995 but when I ordered my gasket set i needed to get 96-98 so it had the correct head gasket and o ring for the top coolant hose . Also iv noticed also mine seems to have different tank pannels than alot i see on google etc mine has a one piece plastic that covers the whole tank. 

Got the carb from ebay 

23 hours ago, Romney1 said:

Thanks for the input i will continue with the Pictures as the stages process ..Specification of the new carb now its not been installed on any bike as yet it was purchased as a new item in the box

170 Main Jet 

55 Pilot Jet

48-DDJ Throttle Needle

7.0 Slide 

where would i find the spec of a similar bike like listed , i never thought of doing such thing but actually makes good sense. Iv been searching only for rmx  

thanks 

I think that '16 and older KTM 250EXC jetting spec's should give you a good starting point.

FYI:  Your right about the head that's on your engine, the US models never got it.  But I seem to think that it has a thermostat which should help with getting it warmed up quicker and maintaining good engine temps when the outside temp drops.  

Couple more pictures of the work . Any help on the jetting woud be much appreciated 

D10306EA-A0E9-4B60-B84E-4D909BD25202.jpeg

5C23D591-7780-442E-A029-9F8208AA511E.jpeg

205D9F20-6D82-4BAE-A09B-CD0D0453535C.jpeg

B8D0721E-EBAE-410A-AC41-9348E5DB73E0.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes every single item is powder coated or vapor blasted and clear powdercoated . I love project bikes as ino every single aspect is covered before i ride the bike , its a shame they cost so bloody much . Its money you never get back but least uno the bikes perfect after it . The forks have  been replaced with a set off a rm 1992 . The bike was a wreck when I purchased it and as usual sold a pack of lies from the previous owner 

I knew what I was getting with my bike, it came in a tote. You have a show bike. Looks great. I have a question, what is the shiny part on your steering neck? The first pic looks like the steering  stem is opened up, in the last pic of it looks like a chrome plate covering the vin.  Did you make that or buy it? Would keep the cables from rubbing.

That is just a metal tape that is used to cover the vin number during powdercoat as the rmx stamping isn’t massively deep when the powdercoat is applied its can not be read and being road registered needs to be visible on the bike for MoT. Basically it just masks off the vin then a nice neat square is left when removed  without powdercoat So the vin is perfectly readable , i found this out the hard way on previous projects and had to clean off my brand new powdercoat to reveal my vin then it just looked horrible.

1 hour ago, Romney1 said:

Yes every single item is powder coated or vapor blasted and clear powdercoated . I love project bikes as ino every single aspect is covered before i ride the bike , its a shame they cost so bloody much . Its money you never get back but least uno the bikes perfect after it . The forks have  been replaced with a set off a rm 1992 . The bike was a wreck when I purchased it and as usual sold a pack of lies from the previous owner 

Forks off of a RM, I was going to ask where you found the fork guards, I can not find any for the RMX forks. I can find RM. I have thought about buying the RM style and trying on my forks.  My project is at a stand still as far as working on it goes. I had surgery on my right arm, I am healing up now, I get to buy parts, but DR. said now mechanical work yet.

5 hours ago, Romney1 said:

Couple more pictures of the work . Any help on the jetting woud be much appreciated 

D10306EA-A0E9-4B60-B84E-4D909BD25202.jpeg

5C23D591-7780-442E-A029-9F8208AA511E.jpeg

205D9F20-6D82-4BAE-A09B-CD0D0453535C.jpeg

B8D0721E-EBAE-410A-AC41-9348E5DB73E0.jpeg

Did you have the Fork Tubes anodized?

What color blue is that frame looks awesome !

Well i had the same issue rm250 gaurds dont fit the type that curve round the side of the fork i ended up with ufo 92-93 rm125 ordering them on a gamble just looking at the whole location and they fit perfectly. Only that year fitment fit and they need to look like mine just straight .

yes forks anodised then fork pads added 

the blue is matched by the company as close to standard evo rm blue they could find and tbh i is think its actually nicer . I have the chip colour on my invoice i will dig it out .  

The plan is to make it look like the evo class rm 250 i just love the yellow and blue Rm personally love it