WR250F to XR250-400

Has anyone here gone from a WR to a XR or XR to WR, particularly 250F? What did you think of the change?

I was/am considering trading for a XR

I wanted either a XR250-400 for a long time. I just recently ended up with a 2002 WR250F. I do not MX. Single track, ride with the kids and small jumps, obstacles etc. Oh, 6’3 230 for size.

Any thoughts?

Never road a wr250f, but from what you described and your size, the xr4 would be perfect for you. Its a little heavy, I'm 5"10ish 240ish and I have no problem with it trail riding. At 6"3 you shouldn't have a problem at all with the xr4, good luck.

No to the 250 then. Ok. This Yamaha has got some serious pull for a 250 4t. Very racy compared to say a DRZ.

I had a 400ex sport quad for years. I was told that the motor with the exception of the camshaft was the same as the xr4. I found that motor to be a great performer in the quad once opened up and super reliable.

I realize the WR is a little more modern in the engine and suspension departments and has far for MX traits then a XR but there is something that draws me to the XR series. My 11yr old son (who is small for his age) rides a XR100 and its  a super trail bike. Isn’t great at jumping but can lope through trails and get dumped 100 times and just keep going.

• Like 1

I was a bit disappointed with my wr250f at first.It stalled much easier in the woods than an xr.It needed to be ridden more aggressively to go fast.

After installing a 290cc piston, it made a lot more bottom end torque .More than my drz 400.It's much easier to use it in slow technical terrain.The yamaha engine has been as reliable as an xr.

1 minute ago, vulcanduro said:

I was a bit disappointed with my wr250f at first.It stalled much easier in the woods than an xr.It needed to be ridden more aggressively to go fast.

After installing a 290cc piston, it made a lot more bottom end torque .More than my drz 400.It's much easier to use it in slow technical terrain.The yamaha engine has been as reliable as an xr.