Best off-road helmets under $350.00?

So, I'm looking to replace my old helmet (msr mav 3 sf) which was insanely comfortable but the venting was terrible. It's taken a few hits and has some paint chips from when I've dropped it.....SO! Im looking for a helmet that's at a good price ($350 or less) and I've been looking at the Fly F2 Carbon MIPS because of the price for what it is. Anyway does SNELL matter for offroad? and what is ECE? also anyone tried the KALI Prana Carbon?

Safety rating is a toss up. Its tough to create a testing standard mimicking all off road crashes. Any good helmet will be a safe bet. I do believe in mips, multiple densities of foam liner, and shock systems like 6D helmets offer.

Rocky mountain usually has TLD 4s on sale for 190. They have mips and multi density eps liner. Also the best vented helmet ive ever owned. And my last was a bell carbon flex....

• Helpful 1

I know that SNELL is important if your riding road but does it do much for offroad? I heard it just makes the shell harder and it'll go against cracking better and ECE makes it softer shell. My guess is that an ECE rated helmet will absorb the impact better but a SNELL helmet will resist fractures in the helmet better. Am I right or wrong? The SNELL helmets are also more expensive, is this just because it costs more to go through the SNELL process? 

So, I'm looking to replace my old helmet (msr mav 3 sf) which was insanely comfortable but the venting was terrible. It's taken a few hits and has some paint chips from when I've dropped it.....SO! Im looking for a helmet that's at a good price ($350 or less) and I've been looking at the Fly F2 Carbon MIPS because of the price for what it is. Anyway does SNELL matter for offroad? and what is ECE? also anyone tried the KALI Prana Carbon?

I have a Kali Shiva Carbon and like it. It’s super light (2.6 lbs), with minimal padding. I don’t even think about it while I’m riding. I picked it up on Amazon for $299.   

I’ve always wanted to try a Leatt GPX 5.5 helmet and just picked one up today on Amazon for $269. It’s also very light at 2.9 lbs, but has really plush padding. It is very well vented. I’m going to try it out for the first time tomorrow morning.

Both are regularly around 4 to 5 hundred dollar helmets.

IMG_0053.thumb.JPG.64cc26b8615330c881608a0678ab9bf5.JPGIMG_0052.thumb.JPG.8c30caa23ec143a0a278193b60780b50.JPGIMG_0054.thumb.JPG.0946b68dc2b1217af70d6279c2fce954.JPGIMG_0055.thumb.JPG.06d2266d312d7761995708a2a1cf3280.JPG

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

16 hours ago, farmboybunk said:

I have a Kali Shiva Carbon and like it. It’s super light (2.6 lbs), with minimal padding. I don’t even think about it while I’m riding. I picked it up on Amazon for $299.   

I’ve always wanted to try a Leatt GPX 5.5 helmet and just picked one up today on Amazon for $269. It’s also very light at 2.9 lbs, but has really plush padding. It is very well vented. I’m going to try it out for the first time tomorrow morning.

Both are regularly around 4 to 5 hundred dollar helmets.

IMG_0053.thumb.JPG.64cc26b8615330c881608a0678ab9bf5.JPGIMG_0052.thumb.JPG.8c30caa23ec143a0a278193b60780b50.JPGIMG_0054.thumb.JPG.0946b68dc2b1217af70d6279c2fce954.JPGIMG_0055.thumb.JPG.06d2266d312d7761995708a2a1cf3280.JPG

make sure to keep me posted on how you like the Leatt. Thanks for the input

5 hours ago, Drummer Rob said:

Most manufacturers recommend to replace a helmet after any hit because it may not provide proper protection the next time.

That's why I'm looking to replace mine. It's been a good helmet but it's heavy and ventilation sucks, the padding is crazy comfortable though

7 hours ago, G 9.5 said:

I am a die hard 6D guy. They have some clearances going on now for around 500. G

I would much rather get a 6D but it's way out of my price range even on clearance. I'm looking for under $300 or just over

On 10/5/2018 at 9:06 PM, farmboybunk said:

Why on earth would you think minimal padding is a good thing?  The helmet is a little bit lighter and you have virtually no protection.  Get a Bell or a 6D if you value your noggin.

• Like 4

On 10/5/2018 at 5:55 PM, Ghent's05KDX200 said:

I know that SNELL is important if your riding road but does it do much for offroad?

SNELL rating used to be THE thing for motorcycle helmets. But I don't see it anymore. They (the Snell foundation) has focused on making great helmets for car racing. The standards force every better helmets with more protection. But they no longer focus on motorcycle helmets, they are just about cars.

There are serious differences in crashes that we have versus car guys. For example, the Snell standard has a lot of specs on multiple hits on the same spot on the helmet from a large rounded shape, (i.e. a rollbar). When a car flips, the driver's head can bang in to the rollbar many times, this simply doesn't happen in a bike crash. We are much more likely to hit a hard thing (rock, curb, tree) and then skip onto the next thing, another rock or tree or etc. which will hit another part of the helmet because we have rolled, slid, flipped, etc. along the way.

I've seen nothing of serious science about motorcycle helmet crash protection testing or specs this century. There is lots of marketing stuff for expensive helmets, like the D6 inner layers, but no peer reviewed science.

Whatever the sticker, throw away the helmet after a crash. Never think of buying a used helmet.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2018 at 6:55 PM, cjjeepercreeper said:

Why on earth would you think minimal padding is a good thing?  The helmet is a little bit lighter and you have virtually no protection.  Get a Bell or a 6D if you value your noggin.

I like plush padding personally and I can't afford a bell or 6D if I could afford any helmet I would get a 6D

On 10/12/2018 at 8:29 PM, pat22043 said:

SNELL rating used to be THE thing for motorcycle helmets. But I don't see it anymore. They (the Snell foundation) has focused on making great helmets for car racing. The standards force every better helmets with more protection. But they no longer focus on motorcycle helmets, they are just about cars.

There are serious differences in crashes that we have versus car guys. For example, the Snell standard has a lot of specs on multiple hits on the same spot on the helmet from a large rounded shape, (i.e. a rollbar). When a car flips, the driver's head can bang in to the rollbar many times, this simply doesn't happen in a bike crash. We are much more likely to hit a hard thing (rock, curb, tree) and then skip onto the next thing, another rock or tree or etc. which will hit another part of the helmet because we have rolled, slid, flipped, etc. along the way.

I've seen nothing of serious science about motorcycle helmet crash protection testing or specs this century. There is lots of marketing stuff for expensive helmets, like the D6 inner layers, but no peer reviewed science.

Whatever the sticker, throw away the helmet after a crash. Never think of buying a used helmet.

thank u for actually answering my main question unlike everybody else. I DON'T MEAN THEIR INPUT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE IT DOES.  What helmet would u recommend?

On 10/14/2018 at 7:19 PM, pat22043 said:

What is your budget? I just bought another Fox 2, https://www.btosports.com/p/fox-racing-v2-murc-helmet
It was just under $300. Sometimes you can find them for about $225 on clearance sale.

My budget is about $300 and there is someplace on eBay selling the F2 carbon with mips for $230 and it’s last years model too. On most online retailers it’s $319 so I’ve been trying to find a deal as good as that. The fox v2 seems like a good helmet from the specs on it but it’s a not my favorite looking one, I’ve thought about getting it but then the Thor verge is virtually the same helmet except it’s AMA and FIM approved and I’ve found it for $170

• Bryan II changed the title to Best off-road helmets under $350.00?
On 10/7/2018 at 7:50 PM, Bachnok said:

I have the fly f2 carbon. It’s a great helmet and can be found on clearance. 

Im really happy with mine. 

I find mine comfortable/plush  for an hour or so. Then it  starts hurting  my ears. Only helmet ive ever had do it.