XR200R Cam options

Has anyone here used the Webb Cams 214 grind for XR200R?  Thinking of using it in a hot trail build... 11:1 CR, mild port job and pipe. Aiming for good torque and useable power.

Terry Miller was going to supply me with what he called a '714 Torque Cam' but that hasn't happened so looking for an alternative?

Grind:214 Intake/Exhaust Valve Lash (Inch): .004".004"    Valve Lift (Inch):0.375  0.375     Valve Lift (mm): 9.53  9.53   Advertised Duration:280° 280°  Duration @ 0.050":250° 250°        Lobe Center:106° 106°   

Intake Opens 19°BeforeTDC 

Intake Closes: 51°After BDC

Exhaust Opens: 51°Before BDC 

Exhaust Closes 19° After TDC

I haven't used it, but 280 is a lot of duration (not good for torque). I wouldn't use it unless I go bigger on displacement and 12+ compression, otherwise it will probably kill some bottom end. Should have good top end if properly ported though.

I have the 714 cam but haven't put it in my 200 yet because I've been too busy riding my 230.

I've used the stock cam, 714, and Torque cam in Powroll 218 w/ 11:1. Several back to back observations:
A stock engine runs smoother than the 218s but in comparison it needs to be revved, always one gear lower, and you always seem to be waiting for the revs to build when exiting a corner. The 218 Torque cam gets you accelerating as soon as you add throttle. 
The 218 with stock cam vs the 218 engine with Torque cam seems OK, only slightly softer than the torque cam, but it is running one less tooth on the counter shaft.

714 vs Torque cams; not back to back because used in same 218 engine. I've done this comparison test twice because when I built the 218 I had to wait for the Torque cam so I used the 714. Same situation when I rebuilt the engine because of a lube failure. The 714 is softer on the bottom but pulls better on the top. 

I trail ride, often in tight and gnarly, so the Torque cam is my choice. After you adjust to the power delivery of the Torque cam the others feel soft on the bottom.
The Torque cam in a Powroll 218 w/ 11:1 produces more torque than a dry sump XR250R, and my little XR is 45lbs lighter.

The biggest difference in the aftermarket cams is the much higher lift than stock and the more aggressive lift rates, results in more gas flow.  So if the duration and overlap are much more than stock you lose bottom end. The 200 doesn't have the displacement for bottom end like larger engines so not good to cam for less.

• Like 1

The 214 is more of an all out cam.  High compression, big displacement, head work, big carb are going to be needed to take advantage of it.

I settled on the 89a as a good, but less crazy option.

Thanks for the replies. Made me realize that the 214 was way too much cam for my motor! I have ordered a 389a, springs and hardweld rockers from Web-Cam and will run this until, hopefully, Terry Miller comes through with the torque cam.