Suspension -1" equal how much with rider sitting on bike?

Lowering suspension (front and rear, internal) by 1" takes 1" from skid plate to ground but how much clearance below skid plate do you loose once sitting on the bike compare to before lowering 1" inch. Example, my X Trainer has 11 and 7/8  inches clearances under the skid plate with no weight on the bike and it is reduce to 10" inches when I sit on the bike (ready to ride). So I figure that after lowering the suspension (front and rear, internal) 1" inch it will be 10 and 7/8 inches under the skid plate with no weight on the bike which is the 1" inch lowering and it will be approximately 9 and 3/8" inches (+/- 5/8")lower with weight on (ready to ride) or will it be proportional to the 1" lowering thus 9" under the skid plate with a rider ready to ride?? I do not know if the lowering will be proportional with weight on the bike to the 1" in both instances.

It depends on the springs. If those aren't changed out during the lowering process for a different rate or size, they will effectively act like stiffer springs.

Usually not an issue, though. So long as you can still set the sag properly for your weight, it won't mean much of anything. The height drop should be proportional when weighted.

• Helpful 1

Don't overthink clearance too much. One inch is nothing to concern yourself with.  If you require lowering (as I did) for either getting a leg over the bike or safety, feet down dabbing in tech terrain, just lower it. Don't overthink the clearance. Make sure to install a durable skid plate and linkage protector. You'll be fine. Case in point I have lowered my Xtrainer 2 inches, fork and shock, and when seated (about 195 with gear), it's pretty low, but doesn't stop me from riding technical trail. Super rare for me to drag the skid, except on a ledge. Usually I can get over these things without hitting with enough momentum and speed. I wouldn't venture into a gigantic boulder field though, I would get hung up for sure.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I also have the Seat Concepts low seat (stock width). With the 2 inch suspension drop, I can put both balls of feet down with slight knee bend. That's about as good as I can expect with my 28 inch inseam. Realistically, I will never try hard enduro type terrain or obstacles at 51 years of age.  I just wanted to ride in the woods, on a bike that has plenty of power, and light enough for me to pick up when the inevitable drop occurs.  If there was a plate-able 4 stroke out there that could get the seat height down to 33 inches, I would have bought it. But every single one I looked at started at 37-38 inches. That's just too high for a short legged guy like me.

The second pic shows near 12 inches, but that is on the right (high) side while on the stand, probably closer to while 10 inches on the wheels.

Recent Pic.JPG

Under Clearance.JPG

Edited by ToolmanJohn

On 10/13/2018 at 8:38 AM, ToolmanJohn said:

I also have the Seat Concepts low seat (stock width). With the 2 inch suspension drop, I can put both balls of feet down with slight knee bend. That's about as good as I can expect with my 28 inch inseam. Realistically, I will never try hard enduro type terrain or obstacles at 51 years of age.  I just wanted to ride in the woods, on a bike that has plenty of power, and light enough for me to pick up when the inevitable drop occurs.  If there was a plate-able 4 stroke out there that could get the seat height down to 33 inches, I would have bought it. But every single one I looked at started at 37-38 inches. That's just too high for a short legged guy like me.

The second pic shows near 12 inches, but that is on the right (high) side while on the stand, probably closer to while 10 inches on the wheels.

Recent Pic.JPG

Under Clearance.JPG

Thomaston Dam looks fun. I'm in NJ and always wanted to try that place. It looks similar to AOAA. Have you been there?

6 hours ago, nocturnal said:

Thomaston Dam looks fun. I'm in NJ and always wanted to try that place. It looks similar to AOAA. Have you been there?

It's where I primarily ride. As it so happens I was there today for the very last open day (October 14th) of the riding season. They are officially closed to riding until May. :(

If going there, be aware they have rules regarding registration (must have for un-plated dirt bikes) and dual sports are a bad idea on the harder trails. They are OK for the easier stuff. Either the bike must be plated(reg,insurance,plate) or registered. Army Corps of Engineers website https://www.facebook.com/ThomastonDam/   https://www.nae.usace.army.mil/Missions/Recreation/Thomaston-Dam/

Most of the loop is intermediate and hard trail and today it was harder than usual because of the wet areas. A lot of roots and rocks, I only had to bypass a couple areas. But it's a good clockwise loop with choices of trails and lines. when I go I usually end up with 30+ miles on the bike. The entire loop is about 12 miles. I just go back into my favorite trails and try again. It's not a big place, once you know it.