First bike

Hey everyone, so I've sold my quad to buy a dirt bike and I came across a 09 YZ450F for 1000$. It had no spark but luckily I have a thing for engines so I'm sure I can get it up and running. I wanted to know if this is a good bike for a first rider, or if you think it's a bad deal. Please let me know what y'all think, anyways, thanks!Screenshot_20181005-212038.jpegScreenshot_20181005-212043.jpegScreenshot_20181005-212048.jpegScreenshot_20181005-212055.jpeg

^This. If you’re going to get it running then flip it and look at getting something smaller to learn on. 
My price range is pretty strict around 1000 and this is one of the nicest/newest bikes I've seen in my price range so I was just wondering if it would be completely horrible to learn on it. I do plan on keeping the bike for a very long time.

While the WR is much more forgiving, that 450 has some of the best forks around.  Adjust the oil level and clickers and they will be awesome for trail riding.  The rear may need a little more tinkering to make it tail ready... softer spring may be required depending on your weight.

I personally know a young guy who bought a YZ450F as his second bike after a KDX200.  He now has a YZ250 2T.  Another friend has the YZ450F, Rekluse, softer seat foam, fork and shock tune, Tubeless, and I've ridden it.  Awesome bike, forgiving IF.... you watch your throttle hand and go easier on it.  So... it is a bike you can grow into.  I'd look into a second bike to learn on like a CRF230.  Its perfect and can be used for a loaner or second if one bike is down for maintenance.  Just be careful, upshift early, and don't grab a huge handful of throttle.  Do put a little more slack in the throttle cable to keep you from whiskey throttling it.  Keep up on the maintenance on it, and make sure the air filter is clean, sealed, and change the oil every 5 hrs.

• Like 2

That’s a great deal for $1000. Hope you can get it running for cheap. You will love it, very reliable and stable bike. Also as already mentioned, very good suspension out of the box.

Just a heads up that looks like an 06-08. The 2009s had a different swing arm and black engine case covers. Unless they swapped out some parts???

Definitely interested to hear when you get it running.

That bikes a screamer but if you take your time you can learn it.

Better to have a bike you can grow into and maybe can’t even outgrow. Even if the growth is slowed by taming a fire breathing dragon.

All depends on the type of person you are, some people just never get the hang of riding a 450, others can learn on them and ride well. 

Just take it easy in the beginning and dont force your self to keep up with friends who have been riding a while, thats when it generally goes wrong.  

Again Steve you probably nailed it. Don’t see them losing spark that often. The fuel nowadays is awful and if the bike has sat longer than 6 months the pilot jet is plugged. Always put Stabil in your tank and run it a few mins before parking it for any extended time.