I had the Cylinder Works BB kit, ACT gears, full FMF Q4 exhaust with JD Jetting and airbox mod done earlier this year on my S model. Hey, it is a new bike. Good power, still low enough gears for off road. And on the highway, 65 mph at 4,700 rpm and 70 at 5,100. Standard 15/44 factory sprockets. It truly is a light weight adventure bike now.
Sorry but that doesn't sound right. With my stock gearbox and 16/42 i'm running about 6,100 rpm at 65 mph. Your only turning over 4,700 rpm? And your first is way lower at 15/44. If that is true, that ACT box must be spaced ridiculously WIDE.

Sorry but that doesn't sound right. With my stock gearbox and 16/42 i'm running about 6,100 rpm at 65 mph. Your only turning over 4,700 rpm? And your first is way lower at 15/44. If that is true, that ACT box must be spaced ridiculously WIDE.

Well it is correct. Go to the ACT website. I was just on my bike yesterday. I’ve have a tach on my bike and it was reading what I posted. The ACT gears leave the factory first gear on the bike. Starting with second gear the ratio is about 6% taller and each higher gear goes up 6%, resulting in 5th gear being about 21% taller than factory. Look at the charts on the website.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, m-johnson said:

Well it is correct. Go to the ACT website. I was just on my bike yesterday. I’ve have a tach on my bike and it was reading what I posted. The ACT gears leave the factory first gear on the bike. Starting with second gear the ratio is about 6% taller and each higher gear goes up 6%, resulting in 5th gear being about 21% taller than factory. Look at the charts on the website.

how do you like that wide spacing of all the gears?

OP has to realize what he's getting into, before he drops in that ACT, it would drive me nuts with that wide of gear spacing, as it is with my tall gearing, the jump from 4th to 5th is quite large.  Of course the big bore and other power adder's will help.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:48 PM, Zach7018 said:

I was thinking about the ACT, which might solve my current issue actually... I went to 15/42 gears to bring my highway revs down because I have to crunch a lot of miles to get to where I want to go. But with 15/42 it has the potential to stall in tight spots and doesn't have a lot of low punch. I guess with act gears I could run 15/44 and still keep low highway revs. Wouldn't save me any money but I guess at this point I've gone so far I might as well go all in. Ive been looking at the Athena kit and the Cylinder works kit. I think FCR, Cams and Exhaust with 15/42 would probably accomplish my goals but I need a top anyway as it seems to be drinking more oil these days, about $200 for a stock bore rebuild or $525 for a BB kit. 

I probably could throw cams, carb and exhaust at it and see what it does before I do the top end and then decide which one I need. I'm just worried more CC's = More problems

Don't worry about the reliability of the BB, they have proven to be very good.  And the taller gearing works fine with the BB kit, like I said I run 16/42 and even do some single track with that. You just can't ride it like a trials bike , you have to keep a little momentum going, but I've never had to abuse the clutch.

• Like 2

how do you like that wide spacing of all the gears?
OP has to realize what he's getting into, before he drops in that ACT, it would drive me nuts with that wide of gear spacing, as it is with my tall gearing, the jump from 4th to 5th is quite large.  Of course the big bore and other power adder's will help.

http://www.texasadventure.net/bikes-and-gear/drz400s-adventure/
Read this write up. That is why I did it. Used the same guy in the article to do the work. You can switch out sprockets for the E model if desired.
I am totally happy. Was in some bad sticky wet mud yesterday. Stayed in 2nd gear and was fine.
Just do your research.

Read this write up. That is why I did it. Used the same guy in the article to do the work. You can switch out sprockets for the E model if desired.
I am totally happy. Was in some bad sticky wet mud yesterday. Stayed in 2nd gear and was fine.
Just do your research.

Look at the ACT gear as 6th gear, which is what the DRZ400 needs. You don’t shift into it until 50mph. The other gears have been fine for me off road. And the B.B. kit solves the loss in power with taller gears.
Good luck.

3 hours ago, m-johnson said:

Just do your research.

That is a good article. But come on...... do my own research.

I've been adventure riding, trail riding, researching and modding my DRZ for over 3 and a half years now. I've had my engine cases completely apart and considered the ACT's,  but not every one loves the wide gear spacing. I've read comments like "you never seem to be in the right gear". I'm one who likes to ride at the speed I want with the engine at the rpm I want and not have the trans. spacing dictate what speed I'm comfortable going. Erik even says he talks as many people out of doing the ACT's  as he does install.

If your happy and they work well for you fantastic. My solution is to gear it tall 16/42, so when I'm cruising most hwy's at 100kph (62mph) the engine is in it's smooth happy spot around 5,900 rpm, I try to stay off the interstates. And I do most of nasty off-road stuff I encounter just fine with the really tall first gear. I used to carry a 13 or 14t front sprocket with me and quick change on the trail if I really needed to, but just found that I didn't need to. A lot of experiance off-road and MX racing helps there I believe.

• Like 3

That is a good article. But come on...... do my own research.
I've been adventure riding, trail riding, researching and modding my DRZ for over 3 and a half years now. I've had my engine cases completely apart and considered the ACT's,  but not every one loves the wide gear spacing. I've read comments like "you never seem to be in the right gear". I'm one who likes to ride at the speed I want with the engine at the rpm I want and not have the trans. spacing dictate what speed I'm comfortable going. Erik even says he talks as many people out of doing the ACT's  as he does install.
If your happy and they work well for you fantastic. My solution is to gear it tall 16/42, so when I'm cruising most hwy's at 100kph (62mph) the engine is in it's smooth happy spot around 5,900 rpm, I try to stay off the interstates. And I do most of nasty off-road stuff I encounter just fine with the really tall first gear. I used to carry a 13 or 14t front sprocket with me and quick change on the trail if I really needed to, but just found that I didn't need to. A lot of experiance off-road and MX racing helps there I believe.
And sprockets are alot easier & cheaper
  • Like 1

The gear spacing only feels on the wide side once you get up to 4th going to 5th . 4th covers a wide speed spread and I won't shift into 5th till 55-60 and that is on the low side , plenty of power to pull easily it but the motor doesn't like it . I thought I put a 14t front on but apparently it's still the 15t . It really changes the whole way you ride the bike , not nearly as much shifting or hunting for the gear that isn't screaming yet not too low . If you run 15/39 like I first had the spacing feels even wider so going with a bit lower gearing reduces the overall feel of the added spacing yet still keeps the "overdrive" .

• Like 1

The gear spacing only feels on the wide side once you get up to 4th going to 5th . 4th covers a wide speed spread and I won't shift into 5th till 55-60 and that is on the low side , plenty of power to pull easily it but the motor doesn't like it . I thought I put a 14t front on but apparently it's still the 15t . It really changes the whole way you ride the bike , not nearly as much shifting or hunting for the gear that isn't screaming yet not too low . If you run 15/39 like I first had the spacing feels even wider so going with a bit lower gearing reduces the overall feel of the added spacing yet still keeps the "overdrive" .

jjktmrider - your shifting into 5th at 55-60mph indicates to me you have the ACT gears in your bike, correct? That is what I experience with my DRZ with ACT gears.

I'd like to hear(and read) more(anything) about the Nova gearset. 

31 minutes ago, Diverdown said:

Did you ever put your big bore kit on?

Nope. I'm probably going stroker kit and I can't get the WR gears out of my head. Since I've been commuting with the fairing on, the more I love my bike! 

On a side note, I was almost killed this morning. I was sitting in the left turn lane getting ready to pull into the entrance to work. I was waiting for one more truck to go by when he merged into the turn lane for the stoplight behind me about 80 yards.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

The Nova gears are basically halfway between stock and the ACT spacing , but at double the cost .

Need.....more........info......please....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, revelc said:

Haha, that's me!:doh:

Sometimes(most of the time) I don't think (post) like this is an option to "search". Instead I post like this is a conversation we're having in person, not over the interwebs. :smashpc:

I was hoping someone might know of any reviews or testing that had been documented.

• Like 1

Haha, that's me!:doh:
Sometimes(most of the time) I don't think (post) like this is an option to "search". Instead I post like this is a conversation we're having in person, not over the interwebs. :smashpc:
I was hoping someone might know of any reviews or testing that had been documented.
I think that not too many have taken that plunge due to the price point so you might be waiting a while for someone to chime in with their experience with the gears.