Don't buy the 2019 CRF230F

Here' s why you shouldn't buy the new CRF230F. First, if rumors have it correct we will see a totally new 250F coming to the states (Brazilian friends say it will actually have a new 240cc engine) by 2020. Secondly, let Honda know it's time for change and a red sticker older design isn't acceptable. However, my 2005 230F will never be up for sale as long as i live. Seeing the bike below could be my Christmas bike, Santa Claus better have something new for my tree 2020 or else ?

Screenshot 2018-10-07 at 1.49.38 PM.png

Edited by The Plvis
  • Like 6
  • Helpful 1

Well I somewhat agree however any new 250 could be a heavier engine or even a five speed. As far as red sticker all the Ca. bikes not plated are red sticker now. Plus all the people on Thumpertalk that actually search the threads would know to buy a good used 230 for half of new giving them ??? for mods. Also not loosing as much on a resale. ?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

Well I somewhat agree however any new 250 could be a heavier engine or even a five speed. As far as red sticker all the Ca. bikes not plated are red sticker now. Plus all the people on Thumpertalk that actually search the threads would know to buy a good used 230 for half of new giving them ??? for mods. Also not loosing as much on a resale. ?

5 speed and heavier? I'd still buy it, however, it would give more incentive to hold on to my first gen 230F. 

Kan't wait 2 compare it to our 230F. 

18 hours ago, The Plvis said:

Here' s why you shouldn't buy the new CRF230F. First, if rumors have it correct we will see a totally new 250F coming to the states (Brazilian friends say it will actually have a new 240cc engine) by 2020. Secondly, let Honda know it's time for change and a red sticker older design isn't acceptable. However, my 2005 230F will never be up for sale as long as i live. Seeing the bike below could be my Christmas bike, Santa Claus better have something new for my tree 2020 or else ?

Screenshot 2018-10-07 at 1.49.38 PM.png

Why would anyone buy a new 230 since you have to throw away half the parts. Would not buy the new model either till we know it's good.

• Like 1

The listing for the 2019 CRF250F is already on the CARB site

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/ofhrv/ofmcatv_comply/2019/honda_ofmc_um0030376_249.pdf

Key points extracted from the above file

• 249cc
  • 5-speed
  • Fuel Injected
  • 17kW / 22.8hp rated power

This, along with the CRF450X, are the only green sticker motorcycles currently listed on the CARB site for 2019.  And for all of the CRF450X horsepower discussions, the rated power of that bike is 34.5kW / 46.3hp.

I'm surprised it's listed on CARB site and there has been no announcement.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

New vehicle models take years of development (more like decades for Honda before coming out with new CRF230F & CRF250X...)

If the CARB certification etc. process is already done, Honda probably had that bike in the works for the past 2+ years.

An extra 20cc, fuel injection and a rear disc brake are nice but they should of added the CRF250X forks while at it

but being an entry level bike it's no doubt built on a price point to match the competition in the same market: TTR230, KLX140G

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 3

IMO:
Looks like an extra 26cc
According to the ARB report above?

How much $$ have many spent for an extra 10 cc, 24cc, 34cc, 39cc, 46cc, 50cc or 54cc on any year 230f?
How much does it cost to convert a 230f to a rear disk brake?

Some people I’m sure would like to own the next generation 230f because they can afford it.

Then some of those may wish to find out how easy it would be to make it 280-300cc.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

20 minutes ago, trackerdog said:

thought about a 230 but then saw this on cl for cheap, about the same specs , little heavier , 30hp, dual disk, 6 speed & street legal 

1539046259303_IMG_20180923_170337_809.jpg

I have one, it’s 20hp, but it’s a comfortable ride, good rear shock, forks need improvement for serious trail work.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baja Rambler said:

I have one, it’s 20hp, but it’s a comfortable ride, good rear shock, forks need improvement for serious trail work.  

+Baja Rambler you're smooth with corrections. I like how you said it..." i have one, its 20hp." Spec Advertisers of the 80's and 90's weren't much on moral.  30hp?...? 

Edited by The Plvis
  • Helpful 1

9 hours ago, adnohguy said:

IMO:
Looks like an extra 26cc
According to the ARB report above?

How much $$ have many spent for an extra 10 cc, 24cc, 34cc, 39cc, 46cc, 50cc or 54cc on any year 230f?
How much does it cost to convert a 230f to a rear disk brake?

Some people I’m sure would like to own the next generation 230f because they can afford it.

Then some of those may wish to find out how easy it would be to make it 280-300cc.

You nailed it...

3 minutes ago, The Plvis said:

+Baja Rambler you're smooth with corrections. I like how you said it..." i have one, its 20hp." Spec Advertisers of the 80's and 90's didn't much moral.  30hp?...? 

It has the same wonderful low end grunt as the 230 but with a touch more top end horsepower because of the four valves.  The motor runs hot and needs an external oil cooler from an XR250R which I did along with a few other mods.  I just rebuilt my carb with the late xr250 needle and needle jet, 42 pilot and 127.5 main.  It runs fantastic.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Baja Rambler said:

It has the same wonderful low end grunt as the 230 but with a touch more top end horsepower because of the four valves.  The motor runs hot and needs an external oil cooler from an XR250R which I did along with a few other mods.  I just rebuilt my carb with the late xr250 needle and needle jet, 42 pilot and 127.5 main.  It runs fantastic.  

If you notice, the new 2019 CRF250F is an oil cooled engine. Kind of a warning sign for those of us who have been long term followers of XR's, and know its history. Love the new release of the CRF250F if it happen. I bet you I'll be one of the first to own one if it comes States side. However, I don't like the fact its oiled cooled. Kinda scares me a little.

For example, if one noticed all Honda's four valved XR engines came oiled cooled and those that weren't needed an oil cooler. Seeing that's the case, nothing on God's green planet will replace the 230F if i only had one choice. Seeing that the 2019 230F's are going to be red stickers, and I already have two 230F's. Its time for a new.

I'm secure in green sticker 230F supply. It's time to make friends with the new XR...opps did i say XR? I meant to say CRF/F. 

Edited by The Plvis
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Plvis said:

If you notice, the new 2019 CRF250F is an oil cooled engine. Kind of a warning sign for those of us who have been long term followers of XR's, and know its history. Love the new release of the CRF250F if it happen. I bet you I'll be one of the first to own one if it comes States side. However, I don't like the fact its oiled cooled. Kinda scares me a little.

For example, if one noticed all Honda's four valved XR engines came oiled cooled and those that weren't needed an oil cooler. Seeing that's the case, nothing on God's green planet will replace the 230F if i only had one choice. Seeing that the 2019 230F's are going to be red stickers, and I already have two 230F's. Its time for a new.

I'm secure in green sticker 230F supply. It's time to make friends with the new XR...opps did i say XR? I meant to say CRF/F. 

It probably needs the oil cooler with the lean mixture to pass smog.  Smogging dirt bikes is harassment because most of them only get ridden a couple hundred miles a year.

Also, a five-speed 250 is lame.  They need six or seven gears. 

• Like 4