X Trainer hard to start?

In the last 2 to 3 weeks, my X Trainer has been very hard to start where before it would start right away. Before starting, I put the fuel petcock to "On" position, open the choke full open then push on the start button and it sounds like no fuel gets there, it turns but no response? Also, once in a while the start button just make a noise like zzzzzzzzzzzzz...? Fuel petcock being default and not turning fuel on, or being jammed? Spark plug? The air Filter is clean. Thanks for your help.

51 minutes ago, Survivor said:

In the last 2 to 3 weeks, my X Trainer has been very hard to start where before it would start right away. Before starting, I put the fuel petcock to "On" position, open the choke full open then push on the start button and it sounds like no fuel gets there, it turns but no response? Also, once in a while the start button just make a noise like zzzzzzzzzzzzz...? Fuel petcock being default and not turning fuel on, or being jammed? Spark plug? The air Filter is clean. Thanks for your help.

I just check the battery. It is 13.76 so very good and while starting the bike in the heated garage (it started right away in the heated  garage) with the choke full on. While starting the bike, the battery remained at 13.36 at the start then gain, so very good again in my HO as I am a very poor mechanic. Maybe my jetting is not so good for cooler weather like +8* Celsius / 46.4* Fahrenheit or it is the petcock being jammed on occasion...

A big temp swing could make it run poorly but I wouldn’t think it would not run at all. 

Id start by making sure the fuel is getting to the carb and that you have spark. 

How long has this been going on? When did the symptom start? Has the bike been sitting a lot?

• Helpful 1

40 minutes ago, Bachnok said:

A big temp swing could make it run poorly but I wouldn’t think it would not run at all. 

Id start by making sure the fuel is getting to the carb and that you have spark. 

How long has this been going on? When did the symptom start? Has the bike been sitting a lot?

Once the bike has been warmed up although it is hard to start, it runs fine with no problems for the rest of the day as the petcock remains in "On" position all day. Funny that it started right away in the heated garage, I will try again tonight. How do you check if fuel is getting to the carb when you open the petcock (my poor mechanic skills...) ? This has started a few weeks ago. Lately, the bike gets out +/- once a week but has been sitting down in May and July. How do you check for a spark (remove the cap...?). If it starts again tonight and tomorrow in the heated garage, will it scratch off sparks and petcock? Fuel is fresh.

If it only ever doesn’t start in cold temps then I think that’s your answer. 

If you haven’t changed jetting for the temp swing it could be running very lean. 

• Helpful 1

Sounds like your pilot jet is clogged and or incorrect size. Also check the OI connection to intake boot for leaks or tears that would lean out jetting. How much time s on motor?? Compression check??

3 hours ago, weantright said:

Sounds like your pilot jet is clogged and or incorrect size. Also check the OI connection to intake boot for leaks or tears that would lean out jetting. How much time s on motor?? Compression check??

weanright: oil injection is disconnected. Motor has 102 hours. Did not check compression. It started fine this morning in the heated garage except that on the first try on the starter button it did that noise zzzzzz....with engine not turning (bendix?). Second try, it started right away. Choke was full open to start. I have a Hearth battery. I am a very poor mechanic... 

That zzzzz sound has me wondering if you have checked the connections to the starter motor and battery. The sound is typical of a high resistance connection somewhere in the starting circuit, or a low battery voltage, which you have already eliminated. Resistance is higher when the connections are cold, which would explain why the bike starts in the garage but not outside, and also why it starts (although with difficulty) outside when the motor is warm.

It might be worthwhile to systematically remove and wire brush each connection to the battery and the starter and solenoid.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

16 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

What does the battery measure under load? Sound like it's failing to me as it the same symptom I experienced. The starter would spin but it wouldn't engage.

The battery is at 13.76 with no load (or bike off power) then goes down to 13.36 while starting and goes up again after it is started. I think the battery is fine. It starts fine in the heated garage except that zzzzzzzzzzz....(nothing engaging) sound when pushing on the starter button once in a while.

So it starts IF the starter spins the motor?? zzzzzz can be the starter bendex sticking. I would remove the clutch cover and check for smooth operation. Remove starter and or bendex if needed to clean.

• Helpful 1

Dr oz has also written about lithium batteries hating the cold.
Short stab on the starter button warms up the battery.
Second try the battery can output the amperage to spin that baby round!

• Like 1