Moregath

Drz400E to SM swap gearing

Hey guys looking for opinion on gearing for my E model that I'm planning on making my do everything bike so during the week use it as SM and be a hooligan and then on the weekend go trail riding. So my plan is to leave the dirt wheels at my cousins house (ruffly 1 hour highway ride from my house) where I ride trails. I plan on riding there in SM form and switch to the dirt wheels there and then switch back for the ride home. My current gearing is 15t front 47t rear with the E chain which I'm pretty sure is 112 link (don't quote me). I would like to be able to stick with the 15t front and chain and just swap the wheels I would like to leave the 47t on the dirt wheel. My question is what size rear sprocket for the SM wheel and chain length would you guys recommend for my needs.

With 112 link you would best to go with 44T on the SM wheels. Not sure if you could go 43 or 42 but 41 tooth wont fit with 112 link chain.

15/44 is a good compromise for the street. 15/47 it good for trails.

• Like 1

You can go down to a 44t rear on the SM wheels, but any shorter and the chain will need to be cut down. If you could run 15/47 on the E wheels and still manage a 110 link chain 15/41 or lower it would be great for SM duty also.

Edited by drz400s_guy

2 minutes ago, drz400s_guy said:

You can go down to a 44t rear on the SM wheels, but any shorter and the chain will need to be cut down. If you could run 15/47 on the E wheels and still manage a 110 link chain 15/41 or lower would be great for SM duty.

You cant do 15/47 on 110 link. you can barely fit 15/44 on 110 link.

I run 110Link on my L7 E so I could run 15/41 SM wheels and 14/44 dirt wheels.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ilia . said:

You cant do 15/47 on 110 link. you can barely fit 15/44 on 110 link.

I run 110Link on my L7 E so I could run 15/41 SM wheels and 14/44 dirt wheels.

Exactly, It is going to be a compromise running 15/47 and a 112 link chain. It is going to suffer on the road with SM wheels.

• Like 1

I guess it all depends on weather you do more road or trail.

If you do more road go to 110 link and and change between 15/44 and 15/41

If you do more trails stay with 112 link and change between 15/44 and 15/47.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ilia . said:

I guess it all depends on weather you do more road or trail.

If you do more road go to 110 link and and change between 15/44 and 15/41

If you do more trails stay with 112 link and change between 15/44 and 15/47.

Hows 15/44 on the trails 

2 hours ago, ptgarcia said:

You don't have to run a 44-tooth sprocket. You can certainly fit a 43 and possibly even a 42 using the 112-link chain. 

have you run a 15/42 set up with the 112 links

28 minutes ago, Moregath said:

Hows 15/44 on the trails 

Nope. I did try 15/41 once and it didn't work, but it was close enough that I would try 15/42 if I wanted taller gearing.

1 hour ago, Moregath said:

Hows 15/44 on the trails 

15/44 on trails, gravel light dirt is fine. It when you need additional torque going up more technical elevated terrain that you need to feather the clutch more. 14/44 is better but a PITA to change the front sprocket if changing wheels every weekend. 

I only have 47, 44 & 41 tooth sprockets so can only tell you that 44T fits and 41T does not fit 112 link chain. Others might chime in here if they have.

• Like 1

I've been on trails I shouldn't have before with 15/44 and it did ok. I wouldn't recommend it for any serious offroading though. Where you at in Michigan?

On 10/10/2018 at 5:51 AM, drz400s_guy said:

I've been on trails I shouldn't have before with 15/44 and it did ok. I wouldn't recommend it for any serious offroading though. Where you at in Michigan?

I'm by Grand Rapids

• Like 1