Jump to content

I have loved the Beta 500 RR-S, but I'll admit it, I'm going to . . .

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Livin the dream Ben, jealous here in TX. There may be an Alta in the family soon here too..

I agree, the Alta is just a(nother) toy/way to get to work.  It is nice having an extra $360 a month to be paid out over 3 years-if the loan is taken to term.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2018 at 6:00 PM, Ben500RR-S said:

 . . . get a 2019 Alta Redshift EXR.  

The Beta will become either my dedicated snowbike, with no real need to swap it back to dirt/street, or it will be both my dedicated snowbike and then my backup triple-sport bike, in case anything should ever happen to the EXR.  

One month ago, my electric starter started acting up.  Two weeks ago, the bike went to my local dealer.  After week one of the bike being at the shop, I got to thinking that it would be nice to have another bike and all the positive reviews of the Alta Dual sports, I realized that I could get one and will be.  

I'm at the point where as my commute is only 11 miles roundtrip daily, and my weekends dirtbiking with the kids is just nowhere where the Alta's 2019 range is ever even a remote-issue, the quiet, easy to ride bike, with its 1,000 hour maintenance interval and nothing to change but, from what I read, rear-tires as I have already gone through 3 rear tires on my 2017 Beta 500 RR-S and one front tire, not needing to do anything will be liberating. 

Never mind my not needing any clutch at all because I'll be the first to admit it, the Rekluse Radius CX in my 500 RR-S is perfect, but no longer needing to hear the noise associated with an ICE-that is Internal Combustion Engine, will be so, So, SO SWEET!!!!!!!!!!  No more gas stations. No more topping up other than plugging in and maybe, sometime, after seeing how it all goes, maybe bringing a generator so I can get another 10-30 miles or range by letting the bike charge for a 30 minute break.  

I am hoping that my RR-S will be ridden by either my wife as I know that she could easily ride it with the Rekluse and that someday she will even dual-sport it with me or she'll use the Alta and I'll ride the Beta-no problem, or one of my kids, as my boy will be 16 and able to ride the Beta on the road, will want the bike 8 years from now if not, whatever happens will happen.  I will NOT mind keeping it just for a dedicated snowbike as it will take a bad accident or a move to where there is no more snow to stop me from riding the snowbike in the winter as the feeling of riding the bike with a Camso DTS 129 kit is like no other feeling on this earth.  It is THE, best feeling from riding the bike, bar-none.  

Either way, my street riding days on the Beta RR-S will be numbered as I have a good feeling, as has been with all the others who have gotten themselves an Alta Redshift dual sport, I'm going to fall in love with the bike like they have.  A scooter for the trails and street, I, can't, hardly, wait.  

How exciting !  15 min out, 15 min back, and 6 hours of charging !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

How exciting !  15 min out, 15 min back, and 6 hours of charging !

You forgot the 3 plus hours of riding. 

Actually what is the real amount of time to charge??? I don’t know anything about Alta except for a couple of vids. No dealer here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqmWRi5q2U&feature=share

 

 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really looking forward to your impressions with the Alta Ben! 

I've been following the E bikes for a while as they're slowly creeping into the market and continue to make progressions and become real players in the sport. When you have guys like Scott Harden as an integral part of the E bike movement, it's apparent that they'll be a legitimate choice for consumers. You now have Kreft suspension, and other aftermarket companies offering their upgrades and mods as they recognize the bikes are true full dirt bikes now and are gaining traction in the market. 

Lots of research and actually emailing the Alta folks, it is a 4 hour battery life at normal woods ridng pace. Dualsporting with hard and more open throttle reduces that significantly. But, a 30-45 recharge gets you back to full capacity. It's easy to envision a 2-3 hour ride with a lunch break for recharge then another 2-3 hour ride. Very doable. 

It opens lots of opportunities for many riders as well who can ride on private property without consequences from noise. That's huge for a lit of folks around my neck of the woods with opportunities to ride BLM and corpoate Timber lands. Many of these allow mt bike and horse recreation, but nothing that produces noise or emissions, so an E bike would allow greater access to riding. That's huge. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Red Shift MXR was tested by a few publications and the bottom line was 40 min of agressive riding, MAX. 

" Capable of a typical Amatuer moto in charge/run time "

240v charger is 2-4 hours, 120v charger is 4-8 hours.  Depends on the charge mode.

https://www.cyclenews.com/2018/03/article/2018-alta-redshift-mxr-first-test/

Don't see the point.....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Really looking forward to your impressions with the Alta Ben! 

I've been following the E bikes for a while as they're slowly creeping into the market and continue to make progressions and become real players in the sport. When you have guys like Scott Harden as an integral part of the E bike movement, it's apparent that they'll be a legitimate choice for consumers. You now have Kreft suspension, and other aftermarket companies offering their upgrades and mods as they recognize the bikes are true full dirt bikes now and are gaining traction in the market. 

Lots of research and actually emailing the Alta folks, it is a 4 hour battery life at normal woods ridng pace. Dualsporting with hard and more open throttle reduces that significantly. But, a 30-45 recharge gets you back to full capacity. It's easy to envision a 2-3 hour ride with a lunch break for recharge then another 2-3 hour ride. Very doable. 

It opens lots of opportunities for many riders as well who can ride on private property without consequences from noise. That's huge for a lit of folks around my neck of the woods with opportunities to ride BLM and corpoate Timber lands. Many of these allow mt bike and horse recreation, but nothing that produces noise or emissions, so an E bike would allow greater access to riding. That's huge. 

 

Yes, it is the sound, that 100% kills it for all the landowners around my brother in law.  They have all said to him in so many words, "I don't want to be sitting outside, on a nice day, and hearing engines in the distance, no matter what the distance."  They simply don't want to hear any of it.  

I can see the bike giving me another 10 years of riding with a lot less wear and tear on my body from not having to either clutch or shift, never mind not needing to change oils at all or fuel-up.  Sure, it is not like it is any sort of work but I know that as I/one gets older, stuff gets harder.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

The Red Shift MXR was tested by a few publications and the bottom line was 40 min of agressive riding, MAX. 

" Capable of a typical Amatuer moto in charge/run time "

240v charger is 2-4 hours, 120v charger is 4-8 hours.  Depends on the charge mode.

https://www.cyclenews.com/2018/03/article/2018-alta-redshift-mxr-first-test/

Don't see the point.....

50 mile street range.  4 hours of trail riding.  That is all I'm looking for and as it is, more than I need, for now.     

No sound.  No emissions. 1,000 hour maintenance interval.  No gears or clutch.  EZ-is for me.  I'll keep the Beta for the snowbike and as my backup street/dirtbike/dual(triple)sport.  

 

https://www.altamotors.co/redshift-exr/  2019 EXR-their dual sport. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

50 mile street range.  4 hours of trail riding.  That is all I'm looking for and

Yeah that's really all the ridng most intend to do in the sport. Obviously there's those that will require more battery life, but realistically, most of the ridng community ride this amount or less on their normal outings. 

Full throttle settings and aggressively hitting an mx track are FAR different than what your looking for and the Redshift EX is a different bike than the MX anyhow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Yeah that's really all the ridng most intend to do in the sport. Obviously there's those that will require more battery life, but realistically, most of the ridng community ride this amount or less on their normal outings. 

Full throttle settings and aggressively hitting an mx track are FAR different than what your looking for and the Redshift EX is a different bike than the MX anyhow. 

Yea the simple thing is it’s for someone that likes what they get for their money.  :thumbsup:

Ive got a friend that got rid of his 250exc and got a freeride and is thrilled . That’s straight not my choice for a bike now to me but it makes him happy and works for him better  :excuseme: I’m super happy for him. :ride:.  It makes me wonder how an ebike would be like to ride. It’s a very different option than say comparing bikes in the 300 2 stroke estart category which is more of where Ive been looking at. All those bikes are quite close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My problem (besides a completely unusable range for my usage) is that its basically a throw away bike. Time will tell, but currently a new battery pack is like $5000. No one will pay anything for an old Alta that needs a battery pack. Question is, when will that be? Will Alta even exist still and by then will batteries be cheap?

 

And while motors need a tiny bit of maintenance if not used, batteries can be ruined from lack of use if not properly maintained.

Edited by basalt
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, firffighter said:

Yeah that's really all the ridng most intend to do in the sport. Obviously there's those that will require more battery life, but realistically, most of the ridng community ride this amount or less on their normal outings. 

Full throttle settings and aggressively hitting an mx track are FAR different than what your looking for and the Redshift EX is a different bike than the MX anyhow. 

So true.  I've probably written it many times but here in New England, in all the legal riding areas we have, there are clear boundaries as well as trails we can ride on and on the longest rides me and my hardcore riding buddy rode, we got maybe 65 miles in one day and we'd just go out, do a big loop or two and then go back to the truck/trailer for fuel for his KTM 380 anyway so we don't have those wide open spaces or ADV bike possibilities that others who have the big fuel tanks or those that carry extra fuel to increase range.  It just isn't like that up this way.  

Plus, as I'll be keeping the Beta as my snowbike for the winter, I'll also have it as my backup bike should I ever need a bike with more range or, what I'm hoping is that once the kids get bigger, the wife will let my boy who is on his TT-R 110, ride her TT-R 125 once he gets big enough and she can ride the Alta and I can then ride the Beta as the Alta will be perfect with no clutch or even gears and the Mode's she can choose from for power and if she digs it enough, she'll ride on the roads with me and we'll dual sport into the sunset together.  

I'm not going to be doing any racing of any kind or ride on any MX track at all.  All I'm happy now doing is riding around in circles through the forests like I always have.  The EXR is made for me.  

I got approved at a great rate for a(nother) loan-having perfect credit sure is nice.  I'll be going to the dealer after work tomorrow to demo whatever bike they have just to lay eyes on one, sit on it and take it for a ride just to get a feel for it.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2018 at 4:28 PM, surfer-dude said:

Youre lucky to have peace and quiet like that, around here we got gunfire, carcrashes, sirens of all types, and most harley guys run loud pipes and now lately the baggers got louder stereos than lowriders, but the worst is my neighbors parrots. Theres no piece and quiet here in long beach, and I live in the good part of town. lol

But yeah you've been hinting at getting the Alta for a little while now, and you seem to think it would be a good fit for you so all I can say is good luck ben, I hope it works out for you. I totally enjoy riding the big beta on the street and off road. It's my bike of choice if you know what I mean. When Im at home I usually ride my big ripper 29" bmx bike around, so the beta usually sits too. I ride the big ripper mostly for fun but I also get a really good workout out of it, and I also get to practice other bike related skills like wheelies jumps and balance stuff, which also transfers over to the enduro bike. 

Maybe you should look into getting a big ripper to rip around town on, its a thought...

 

A few years back, my Dad got an electric bicycle and he really liked it untill a year later when the battery started dying on him, then at the tune of like 300 bucks he replaced it but for some reason it only lasted a few months before it started to die again. We were thinking that some capacitors or diodes went south or something, but we never checked. He just ended up giving it to goodwill and took the tax deduction. But it was a write-off for the commute also and being a state employee, the state paid him ride a bicycle to work mileage too. and He also kept it in his office, so no worries about it getting jacked.

I'm sure it willl work out for you, you know more about it than me. But I also gotta wonder what it will do to your electricity bill???

I'm at home sick right now, I guess I got a little bit ocean polluted last week and am nursing back to health with lots of pills and none of the good ones. I got; infected inner, middle, and outer ears on both sides, High fever, sweats, shakes, and cold all at the same time equilibrium is off and even blurred vision. it kinda sucks but i I scored some really great waves. So it was worth it. 

good luck ben...

I'll still be here goofing off and stuff

 

A couple of funny things. 

 

1.  I'm not pedaling anything for fun unless my kids want to go bike riding otherwise . . . 

 

2.  A full charge costs from $0.40 to $0.80 at the most.  I can deal with that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

 

I got approved at a great rate for a(nother) loan-having perfect credit sure is nice.  

Having no credit is even better :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Test ride was incredible.  The 2018 EX I rode was all it was cracked up to be and then some.  

I put my deposit down.  The great problem that Alta has is that they can't make the bikes fast enough as the advisor had mentioned that it might not be until December until they can get the 2nd EXR as there is a guy ahead of me in their line.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That EXR is interesting and for the usage scenario Ben is talking about it could make good sense.

On Alta's website they are claiming a 1.5 hr recharge time on 240v, or 3 hrs on 120v but I don't know the current required.  I wonder what level of generator you'd need in your truck for a recharge if you did a 2 day thing or a couple loops in a day with a lunch break?

The rest of the bike looks top notch and 50 hp with 42ft lbs of torque is no joke! I don't see any mention of regenerative braking, that would make huge sense to increase range.

I drove my Bro's Chevy Bolt EV car and I was impressed with the performance and regen braking. You can drive it one pedal not even touching the brakes it's that strong. That car has about a 220 mile range conservatively and he's been super happy with it so far. He's still got an Econoline van for the work loads and long distance. He's a true gear head but has gotten on the EV track and is becoming enthusiastic about it,  his comment is "I've got one foot in each camp now" and he's test driving the future.

My daily commute is short enough (32 miles RT) I could ride the EXR to work and back easily (can you say Super Moto???). My basic problem is I'm in LOVE with the ICE (it's new moniker) and the economics don't warrant the investment, at least not yet. I like the lack of maintenance though, that part is sweet.

I do worry about battery lifespan. I have a Honda Insight hybrid and I worry about how long that battery will last and what the cost will be to replace it some day. So far I have ~70k miles on the car and it's working fine. But the question remains at 100k+ miles what will happen and what will the resale value of the car be with a battery at that end of it's lifespan? I just replaced the battery pack in my electric forklift at work and it was $6k, ouch! I bought the electric forklift for many of the same reasons Ben wants the Alta, noise, fumes inside the factory, maintenance, etc. In the end it's been a financial wash as some of the electronics I've needed to replace weren't cheap (some of those big current components can run 4 digits) and the battery pack was more than I paid for the lift originally cuz I got a great deal on it. But it was still cheaper than a more current used electric lift.

I know 2 people working at Alta now, one of them is on the engineering team and he's a total moto enthusiast. In fact the company does employee rides as a bulk of the people working there ride. The other gal I know works in the office side and she rides also.

I'll be curious to hear what you think about it after owning it for a while.  Thanks for test riding the future for us.......

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, danketchpel said:

That EXR is interesting and for the usage scenario Ben is talking about it could make good sense.

On Alta's website they are claiming a 1.5 hr recharge time on 240v, or 3 hrs on 120v but I don't know the current required.  I wonder what level of generator you'd need in your truck for a recharge if you did a 2 day thing or a couple loops in a day with a lunch break?

The rest of the bike looks top notch and 50 hp with 42ft lbs of torque is no joke! I don't see any mention of regenerative braking, that would make huge sense to increase range.

I drove my Bro's Chevy Bolt EV car and I was impressed with the performance and regen braking. You can drive it one pedal not even touching the brakes it's that strong. That car has about a 220 mile range conservatively and he's been super happy with it so far. He's still got an Econoline van for the work loads and long distance. He's a true gear head but has gotten on the EV track and is becoming enthusiastic about it,  his comment is "I've got one foot in each camp now" and he's test driving the future.

My daily commute is short enough (32 miles RT) I could ride the EXR to work and back easily (can you say Super Moto???). My basic problem is I'm in LOVE with the ICE (it's new moniker) and the economics don't warrant the investment, at least not yet. I like the lack of maintenance though, that part is sweet.

I do worry about battery lifespan. I have a Honda Insight hybrid and I worry about how long that battery will last and what the cost will be to replace it some day. So far I have ~70k miles on the car and it's working fine. But the question remains at 100k+ miles what will happen and what will the resale value of the car be with a battery at that end of it's lifespan? I just replaced the battery pack in my electric forklift at work and it was $6k, ouch! I bought the electric forklift for many of the same reasons Ben wants the Alta, noise, fumes inside the factory, maintenance, etc. In the end it's been a financial wash as some of the electronics I've needed to replace weren't cheap (some of those big current components can run 4 digits) and the battery pack was more than I paid for the lift originally cuz I got a great deal on it. But it was still cheaper than a more current used electric lift.

I know 2 people working at Alta now, one of them is on the engineering team and he's a total moto enthusiast. In fact the company does employee rides as a bulk of the people working there ride. The other gal I know works in the office side and she rides also.

I'll be curious to hear what you think about it after owning it for a while.  Thanks for test riding the future for us.......

 

Between the time I have spent on the Alta forum, chatting with the early-adopers and the advisor I had taken some time to speak at length with yesterday, who has had several guys from CT make the 2 hour drive to NH to buy EXR's from them, that there is only ONE legal place to ride in all of CT and that while there are HUGE tracts of land where only mountain bikers go, those with e-bikes have  been unofficially welcomed as they make no sound and it has been observed that the guys with e-bikes, because the initial buy-in is such, that most have been the "responsible-type" that does not tear up the land as much as possible and each and every time they have come across hikers, even horse riders, they have been "welcomed" as they have been viewed as nothing more than big mountain bikes because there is no sound.  

Sure, the "Range" thing is HUGE for many.  No problem.  Stick to the ICE bike with the massive fuel tank and the ability to carry more fuel if necessary.  Up here in New England, due to population and private lands, we don't have that area where we can ride endlessly, the e-bikes just make sense and are working out very well for those who are using them.  New trails are being made and places, for now, are being ridden that were never ridden before and I'm going to be a part of that and am psyched for it.  

There is a dealer, 70 miles south of me that has an EXR in stock.  I will be contacting them sometime this morning to maybe go and pick it up, maybe sometime next week.  

 

I have  co-worker that has a 2007 Prius.  He has 240,000 miles and had the batteries load tested and they test out at almost 100%.  It did not surprise anyone at the dealership as they said that battery life has NOT been even a remote issue as far as lifespan goes.  If I have to spend $5,000 after 1,000 hours of use and it takes me 10 years to get to 1,000 miles, I can live with $500 per year for that ONLY maintenance cost as I won't be dicking around with air filters(Who else can't help but to think of Kran when it comes to air filters), oil changes, valves, top end . . . blah, blah, blah . . . chain, sprocket, tires and brake pads.  If the bike is a throwaway afterwards, no problem there either.  Every motor vehicle we have had is a throwaway, when we are done with them we either trade or sell.  I'm glad I have the income to get it and at $12,500, it is not the end of the world.  

Oh yeah, the Beta is a keeper.  While it has been at the dealer for 14 straight work days, it is what it is but I'm not ever going to get rid of it as it will be my backup bike and my snowbike and I want to give it, someday, to my son or daughter if they ever want it as it was my very first brand new motorcycle and when it is running, it is just simply awesome.  I will always bring it with me when we go and ride in case I need more range or something goes wrong with any other bike.  Having a backup sure is a nice luxury.  While I am afraid that once I get the EXR I won't want to ride the RR-S but maybe not.  A change of pace can be good. 

 

Ahhhhh, Thursday morning thoughts.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some People accept change and new technology, others not so much.

I am kind of in the same situation. I ordered a brand new vehicle with a complete redesign. Massively more technology advanced than the previous model year. Not all the previous owners are welcoming this model with much enthusiasm. Change is hard for some people. And not all change is good for everyone.

I too love the idea of an electric motorcycle. The torque is a huge advantage. I have been following electric motorcycles for about 10 years when Zero was called Electricross. They started out making just Electric MX bikes and now only are making Full Street or DS.

Alta is a Great choice, Good Luck and have Fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For little short rides. Not a chance its usable(offroad) for my use. Maybe ten years from now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2018 at 6:00 PM, Ben500RR-S said:

 . . . get a 2019 Alta Redshift EXR.  

The Beta will become either my dedicated snowbike, with no real need to swap it back to dirt/street, or it will be both my dedicated snowbike and then my backup triple-sport bike, in case anything should ever happen to the EXR.  

One month ago, my electric starter started acting up.  Two weeks ago, the bike went to my local dealer.  After week one of the bike being at the shop, I got to thinking that it would be nice to have another bike and all the positive reviews of the Alta Dual sports, I realized that I could get one and will be.  

I'm at the point where as my commute is only 11 miles roundtrip daily, and my weekends dirtbiking with the kids is just nowhere where the Alta's 2019 range is ever even a remote-issue, the quiet, easy to ride bike, with its 1,000 hour maintenance interval and nothing to change but, from what I read, rear-tires as I have already gone through 3 rear tires on my 2017 Beta 500 RR-S and one front tire, not needing to do anything will be liberating. 

Never mind my not needing any clutch at all because I'll be the first to admit it, the Rekluse Radius CX in my 500 RR-S is perfect, but no longer needing to hear the noise associated with an ICE-that is Internal Combustion Engine, will be so, So, SO SWEET!!!!!!!!!!  No more gas stations. No more topping up other than plugging in and maybe, sometime, after seeing how it all goes, maybe bringing a generator so I can get another 10-30 miles or range by letting the bike charge for a 30 minute break.  

I am hoping that my RR-S will be ridden by either my wife as I know that she could easily ride it with the Rekluse and that someday she will even dual-sport it with me or she'll use the Alta and I'll ride the Beta-no problem, or one of my kids, as my boy will be 16 and able to ride the Beta on the road, will want the bike 8 years from now if not, whatever happens will happen.  I will NOT mind keeping it just for a dedicated snowbike as it will take a bad accident or a move to where there is no more snow to stop me from riding the snowbike in the winter as the feeling of riding the bike with a Camso DTS 129 kit is like no other feeling on this earth.  It is THE, best feeling from riding the bike, bar-none.  

Either way, my street riding days on the Beta RR-S will be numbered as I have a good feeling, as has been with all the others who have gotten themselves an Alta Redshift dual sport, I'm going to fall in love with the bike like they have.  A scooter for the trails and street, I, can't, hardly, wait.  

Might want to rethink the Alta.  They are suspending operations.

https://racerxonline.com/2018/10/18/alta-motors-halts-operations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×